Spikes near West Wind 7WA3

BrianV

Many thanks for the recent updates of freewares. I tried my first flight from 7WA3 West Wind in a Northern direction (runway 34). Only 1 or 2 min away in my C182 I notice a spiked landscape that only disappears as I fly up really close. My mesh resolution is set to 5 m so I don't know if Vector or Global Mesh somehow can be interferring in the PNW region? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Hi there,

if the spikes disappear then it's probably a terrain mesh issue due to incorrect data at lower LODs. Can you test again with the Global mesh entries deactivated? You can speed up testing by just slewing around in the area.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks jjaycee and Holger. I do indeed have the latest orbxlibs, automatic AEC via Vector, and set the region firmly with FTX central v2. 

I tried Holger's suggestion to switch off the FTX Global 2010 North America mesh but this did not change the issue. Are there other mesh entries that I should be trying out? The LOD in my P3D v3 is at maximum or one notch below maximum, but in either case I see the spikes in the terrain at this location.

I also tried to play with the tessellation factor and this does have a direct impact. At the highest setting I have more spikes in that localized region and with a low setting less spikes. However, those that show remain present until I fly up close.

I would be interested to hear if others observe them as well. They are clearly visible in my sim at LAT: N48deg58.04' LON: W122deg14.87' (flying low at 500 ft)

Archived