4k thoughts??

pgreenwo

Hi all,

I currently have a ROG swift 1440p monitor (144hz)

I'm thinking about a super wide 1440p or a larger 4k monitor. Just thought I would ask your opinions. 

My hardware will be fine with 4k so that's no worry. I looked at the new ROG superwide curved 34" 100hz and thought it could be a contender. 

I fear a losing higher refresh with 4k will underwhelm me a touch. Even though I lock at 30fps I do feel it offers a smoother sim. (probably in my head)

Any thoughts?

I bought the Philips 40" 4K monitor and it is amazing, I have it about 50cm in front of me and it fills most of my view and the detail is absolutely stunning.

But when I fly in PNW, places like ORBX Friday Harbour, if I stay in 4K res I get out of memory errors, so I have to go back to 1080p or 2560 res, which is still OK.  Anywhere else like away from cities etc the 4K is as smooth as silk. 

I do have the i7 4790K chip though which helps.  My GTX 660 video seems able to handle anything the CPU can pass its way. I see your system is the next step up so you shouldn't have a problem.  

I guess the ultrawide concept vs the Philips squarer display is a matter of choice, with the TrackIR I don't see the need for the wider view, I'd rather have more overall screen in front of me

.IMG_3560.thumb.JPG.450bc0629057779a014d1

6 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

I would say it's slightly to earlier to invest in 4K. There will be many more advanced screen in only a short time.

I'm thinking that too. I might go with the superwide 34" ROG. At least resale value will be strong and it's 100hz for now. 

Thanks John - I do like the look of the screen size you have there I would imagine that's pretty immersive. I'm finding the 27" a bit small for my needs now. Size certainly matters here I guess. 

I own the LG 34" Superwide and I love it.  It took me a while to get used to the new aspect ratio, the picture never seems tall enough,  but I love the wider view when I am just sightseeing.

Locking your frame rate at 50 percent of the monitor refresh rate will give excellent results if your video system is strong enough.  This allows the monitor enough time to process the input signal without delays while maximizing your frame rate.

For me, it's all about smooth flying with good stutter-free visuals regardless of the frame rate.  Have you noticed that LM has defaulted the v3.2 frame rate at 20.  Me I am locked at 30 but my system can only produce 18 to 29 depending on the scenery/aircraft combination.  Hey, I can still fly over KSEA  stutter free without  reducing the settings.  That's good enough for me.

I am flying a K chip at 4.4, 16 gigs of memory and a 970 with 4K installed.  I would love more but who doesn't?

I am parking everything that I can on a networked 2nd machine to take the load off of my flying machine.

Most addon's do not require the power that the sim does so my old machine will do just fine.

I am going to wait for the 64-bit sim before I go to 4K.  Regardless of your hardware, it's going to require going past the 32-bit limit to make 4K really sit up and sing.

I should have enough pennies in the bank by the time LM releases their 64-bit sim.

Dale

3 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

I own the LG 34" Superwide and I love it.  It took me a while to get used to the new aspect ratio, the picture never seems tall enough,  but I love the wider view when I am just sightseeing.

Locking your frame rate at 50 percent of the monitor refresh rate will give excellent results if your video system is strong enough.  This allows the monitor enough time to process the input signal without delays while maximizing your frame rate.

For me, it's all about smooth flying with good stutter-free visuals regardless of the frame rate.  Have you noticed that LM has defaulted the v3.2 frame rate at 20.  Me I am locked at 30 but my system can only produce 18 to 29 depending on the scenery/aircraft combination.  Hey, I can still fly over KSEA  stutter free without  reducing the settings.  That's good enough for me.

I am flying a K chip at 4.4, 16 gigs of memory and a 970 with 4K installed.  I would love more but who doesn't?

I am parking everything that I can on a networked 2nd machine to take the load off of my flying machine.

Most addon's do not require the power that the sim does so my old machine will do just fine.

I am going to wait for the 64-bit sim before I go to 4K.  Regardless of your hardware, it's going to require going past the 32-bit limit to make 4K really sit up and sing.

I should have enough pennies in the bank by the time LM releases their 64-bit sim.

Dale

Thanks Dale

I'm going for the 34" Rog superwide (PG348Q) 

I think the 4k will be enhanced overtime with hardware advances as you say. Will look at it again then. For now I just want some more space to play with

Archived