Foam... foam and more foam....

Hobnobs

4 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

OK normally not, but if these hangars are for testing extreme situations or new parts this would be a possibility.

Certainly would be an extreme reaction to an extreme situation! This amount of foam would cease fusion in the Sun... Come to think of it, if you wanted to cool down a nuclear reactor in a hurry, this might be the way to do it.

May 1965.  #55 caught fire in hangar during maintenance. Fortunately a tow bar was still attached and it was pulled out before hangar was damaged.

Mechanics were working on fuel filters underneath. I was sitting in crew seat (visible through door) removing a piece of sonar equipment

when I heard a 'whump' and saw flames coming up the sonar dome access. I 'bailed out'.

Scan1964606c.jpg

10 hours ago, spud said:

That photo sure brings back memories.  HS-3, Norfolk, VA.  I was the duty officer that day.  Flew that A/C more than a few times.

I sent you a PM, Sir.

10 hours ago, RJ said:

Well, I would run as fast as I could! :lol:

I ran to the corner of the hangar and grabbed a fire bottle. Quite a few others and I made an in-effective attack on the fire with the extinguishers as the helo was pulled out of the hangar.  The crash trucks arrived finally extinguished the fire.

Archived