Books about Flying

Hobnobs

Apart from exercising the rights of my PPL when possible and simming when I can't, I enjoy reading the odd book on flying.

I thought I would share a few recommendations of some that I particularly enjoyed Maybe you'll like them too.

Also I'm looking for other recommendations of where to go next. So if you have any, please share them here. Anyway here goes:

The Killing Zone: How and Why Pilots Die by Paul A.Craig - an analysis of the common mistakes pilots make and why it kills them. My instructor said every budding pilot should read this book. He was right.

Propellerhead by Antony Woodward. A book by a bloke that said he wasn't interested in flying, he just wanted his licence to show off and get the girls. But in his journey he learns what it means to fly, even if it does almost kill him.

Goin' Up And Lookin' Down by Lynn Pinson. A humourous book about learning to fly, the flying community and the sometimes funny, sometimes serious stuff that happens therein.

The Killing Zone is good,  also recommend Fate is the Hunter by Ernest Gann & Wings on My Sleeve by Eric "Winkle" Brown. Both are fabulous books covering the earlier years of Aviation and certainly made me sweat with fear a few times.

At the other end of the spectrum, I enjoyed Widebody, the story behind Boeing betting the farm on the 747.  QF32 and Fly By Wire for averted (or almost) disasters.  Sled Driver, if you can find it.  I've only seen extracts around the interweb.  Yeager was a good read.

21 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Thank you Dean! I already heard about The Killing Zone and had a good impression of it. Your recommendation confirms this to be a future read.

Greetings!

It gives a fantastic insight into accidents and the chain of events that lead up to it. It infuriates me the amount of armchair analysts there are out there that comment on things like the Shoreham accident when they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Aviation accidents aren't just freak occurrence, they are usually a series of minor things that culminate ultimately in a major accidents. This book explains that really well and uses real world accidents as examples. It is a very good book even just to understand the human perception of risk, if nothing else. You won't regret it.

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

Every "would be/already is" pilot would benefit by reading "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.  IMHO no one describes the art of flying better than this man.

Absolutely a "must" read for anyone interested in flying, even though it was written in 1944, everything is still so relevant.

This is also a good read http://www.ehfc.net/Flying-and-Learning-Basics-for-Every-Pilot.pdf endorsed by Mr.Langewiesche, he wrote the foreword. 

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Every "would be/already is" pilot would benefit by reading "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.  IMHO no one describes the art of flying better than this man.

Yes, I do have a copy of this one and it does describe the art of flying like no other. The only thing I would say is that you can tell how old it is by the somewhat quirky writing style. But I suppose that also gives it its charm. :)

If anyone wants a book about real-life flying around the Goilalas in PNG then 'Flying the knife edge' is the book, very interesting read and also a good laugh in places, I enjoyed the writing style, its on Amazon in ebook format

We gleaned a lot of info from this book to help create TAP Tapini

If I may add a couple of more to this excellent thread:

Flight of Passage: A Memoir - Rinker Buck  - Nice memoir of two brothers who piloted a J-3 cub cross-country across America in '66.

North star over My Shoulder - Bob Buck (no relation) - The life of an airline pilot who retired from TWA.

Enjoy!

8 hours ago, Deacon Blue said:

If I may add a couple of more to this excellent thread:

Flight of Passage: A Memoir - Rinker Buck  - Nice memoir of two brothers who piloted a J-3 cub cross-country across America in '66.

North star over My Shoulder - Bob Buck (no relation) - The life of an airline pilot who retired from TWA.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I've added these to my Amazon wishlist also. I'll get to them at some point!

Archived