Updates and updated installers

Jim F.

Hi'

I've just completed an installation of Windows 7 64bit, FSX-se on a new SSD, installed my paid ORBX regions and am beginning to install my previously downloaded airport updates.  I had problems installing 3W5 Concrete.  Per this, " An updated freeware installer can only be downloaded from the freeware page.",  I clicked on the link and couldn't find an update.  By searching I found a payware update for 3W5.

Is it possible that ORBX has done something to make it difficult or impossible to install the freeware airport update? I have about a dozen freeware airport updates.and I'd much prefer to find that I'm the one screwing up.  

I haven't Googled this to find any statement from ORBX that these free updates would no longer work. And I don't want to try to install another update and cause additional problems.

Jim F.

Hello Jim,

The purpose of my topic was to explain the difference.

Here are the key lines from that topic.

As a fairly simple rule of thumb:

A product update can be delivered either by FTX Central or by downloading it from the Support Page.

An updated payware installer can only be downloaded from the account page at the Flight Sim Store.

An updated freeware installer can only be downloaded from the freeware page.

It seems that you were looking for an update for 3W5 Concrete, a payware airport, on the freeware page.

Payware product updates are indeed free of charge but they are not freeware.

Freeware are products which cannot be paid for at all.

A quick check of the Support Page reveals no update for 3W5, so the only place left is the account page

at the Flight Sim Store.

The reason for my topic was that some customers had installed a product update from the Support Page

instead of the whole product from the Flight Sim Store and of course, it didn't work.

Hi again,

I previously downloaded and installed various freeware airport updates for the PNW region.  I now see that payware versions of the same airports are available.  I've spent hours searching the forums for any reference to ORBX somehow preventing the freeware versions from being installed without finding any reference.  After spending a couple of days trying to determine what my problem was with installing 3W5 I gave up and tried to install 0S9 and experienced the exact same problems.  I finally paid attention to the disclaimer that ORBX offers no support for their products and simply directs me to the forums for help.  Does this mean I have no recourse other than the forums?

Jim F.

Hi Ed,

Shortly after loading the PNW demo I downloaded all the freeware airport updates.  I recall flying to each of the updated airports in the demo area.  Some time later I purchased the full region and don't recall for sure that I installed all of the updates or not.  But I know I installed several and had no problems.  None of the updates were pirated.  I'm never sure what the difference is between ORBX and FTX, but all downloads were legitimate.  Here are the update files:

Capture.JPG

Hi Ed,

These are not pirated.  They were downloaded from the same location as the PNW demo.  Unfortunately, I just relocated the files to a new drive and can't determine the download date.  The .exe for 0S9 is "FTXUS0S9110.exe".  

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the delay; had to get some sleep.  And I see that it's about 3 am for you so I don't expect to hear back any time soon.  I took screen shots of each step of the installation.  When I downloaded the files they were simply described as airport updates.  There were payware updates available and i recall that "Israel's Farm" was one of them.  I've included a screenshot of the error I get when clicking on "Configure" for 0S9.  Going there in the sim results in seeing the normal PNW airport.

0S91.JPG

0S92.JPG

0S93.JPG

0S94.JPG

0S96.JPG

0S97.JPG

Hi once more,

A couple of years ago I installed FSX to a 64GB SSD.  I quickly noticed that I was running out of room.  I did get to the point where PNW and a couple of the airport updates were installed.  I located a backup the ORBX folder.  I was beginning to think I was having hallucinations.  Here's a picture:

0S98.JPG

Hi Jim

That does look like the update file for 0S9,  can you confirm the size of the Exe. It should be rather large compared to others as it contained a fix to the photoreal area. 

Those other folders in your last screen shot shows some folders that were installed with older versions of Orbxlibs so they would not have contained the entire airport. 

So it does look as though you have downloaded the updates for payware airports and since you don't own any of those, these update files are pretty much useless to you. 

Hi Ed,

Both the zip and exe for 0S9 are 189 MB.  And I can't say it more clearly than, these were freeware updates for airports in the PNW region.  They were described as such and I previously had no trouble installing them.  The selection screen looked almost identical to the screen were payware versions of the same airports are now displayed.

If you'd like, I could upload one of the files to my Box account for further investigation.  Uploads are limited to 250MBs so that wouldn't be a problem.

Jim F.

Jim, you do understand that the update files you are downloading are for payware airports? As Ed has previously mentioned, 3W5, 0S9, etc., were NEVER freeware. I believe the issues you are having is because you are installing update files to products that do not exist.

I believe you are confusing some of the payware airports with the freeware airports. If you never purchased the airports in question, yet they're working, well, that only leaves one conclusion IMO...

Hi Chunk,

When I downloaded the files they were freeware.  At that time I only had the PNW demo.  I enjoyed taking short hops between the updated airports.  As only spring was available in the demo and, as I recall, some of the updated airports were out of the demo area, I sprung for the full PNW region.  The freeware files I downloaded were not simply updates to payware airports.  I've installed, at least some, of the updates numerous times previously with zero problems.  These accusations of piracy are completely unfounded.  

Hello Jim,

I see no accusations of piracy in this topic at all, the only person to use the word is you.

It does seem very clear that you are installing only product updates and not the full products.

Judging by the OS9 installer, they are fairly old too.

If you feel that what you are seeing is acceptable, all well and good but we really can't offer

any support in this circumstance.

Hi Jim

I am not making any accusations because I believe the files you have are patches to payware airports, the size you reported for 0S9 is consistent with that. 

Now, seeing I am in charge of the installers and the coordination of all releases( payware and freeware), I should know what product is what. Again, I assure you those airports were never freeware and when you downloaded them they would have been on our Support page and quite seperate from the Freeware page. 

Here's a historical shots of the Support and Freeware pages

https://web.archive.org/web/20130302135733/http://fullterrain.com/support.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20130302135732/http://fullterrain.com/freeware.html

Okay, well i'm at a loss to understand what's going on.  I'll inquire in other forums if anyone else has any knowledge of this.  I do recall a discussion in the, now defunct, flightsimulatormissions.com regarding creating missions involving these updated airports.

Regarding piracy I was referring to Chunk's post in which he concluded " If you never purchased the airports in question, yet they're working, well, that only leaves one conclusion IMO... "  If this can be interpreted any way other than an illusion to illegally obtained software I'm curious as to how.

Jim,

Unless you purchased the aforementioned airports, then you never flew with them unless you obtained them another way. They were never freeware, period.

I apologize if you take offense to what I posted, but I've seen posts similar to yours before, from people who post one time looking for answers on software they illegally obtained. I'm sure if you look at your posts from a neutral perspective, you'd agree.

It seems to me like you're just mistaken about what you thought was freeware and in reality, it was not. PNW improved every airport in the region, but the payware products made airports like Concrete really shine.

So once again, if you never bought the airports you are trying to install patches for, they will never, ever, ever work as if you purchased them.

Hi Chunk,

Regarding illegally obtained software: I fully agree that I would suspect that this software was pirated. I believe that's why I'm sensitive about this.   I fully understood your tactfully inferred suspicion and didn't think it warranted further comment.  When I saw Nick's statement: " I see no accusations of piracy in this topic at all, the only person to use the word is you." I saw that further clarification was in order.   I was trying to avoid having the focus on that possibility.  

Regarding payware updates the last time I installed any of the updates they were the full updated airport (at least I didn't suspect that there was anything missing).  

As I was typing this I just thought that possibly I could see if I could contact the original developers and see if they could shed any light on this.  This whole thing is a mystery to me.  Sorry about my convoluted sentences.  I need a good editor.

Jim F.

Wow!  I just Googled the developer's names and came across a video of 0S9 and don't recall ever seeing that degree of enhancement.  I must have downloaded an update to the payware airport, as mentioned, and thought it was the full airport.  Out of curiosity, what is the size of the entire payware airport download?

41 minutes ago, Jim F. said:

Wow!  I just Googled the developer's names and came across a video of 0S9 and don't recall ever seeing that degree of enhancement.  I must have downloaded an update to the payware airport, as mentioned, and thought it was the full airport.  Out of curiosity, what is the size of the entire payware airport download?

365MB. I don't know where it came from, but what you have has to be a patch file of some sort for an earlier version.   -   Doug

Archived