FTX Oceania scenery

William A Anderson

Recently acquiring a new desk top with Windows 7 Professional.  I reinstalled Australia Blue, Gold, Green and Red SP3 which I have run without problem for several years, then installed Aus SP4.

I also recently obtained:

• FTX Global Base Pack
  • FTX Global Vector
  • NSTU Pago Pago
  • NZ North Island
  • NZ South Island
  • AU Holgermesh
  • PNG Holgermesh

I carefully followed install instructions including running Vectors Airport Elevation Correction and manually reviewed the scenery files for any conflicting scenery including removal of NZ VLC. Also experimented with Enable Hybrid Mode on and off and all recommendations of the Orbx Guide.

The whole thing runs just great with all display settings at max but with the following exceptions so far noted:

• Auckland CBD seems very basic with specific buildings such as Skytower missing; Wellington also seems rather generic.
  • Milford Sound airport has two runway layers with one overlaying the other by about two metres. All the surrounds are fine. I may need the specific scenery addon for Milford.
  • The vastly improved Sydney Harbour Bridge displayed well at first, but has now acquired another deck at sea level.
  • Sydney harbour South Head shows at sea level and so does Long Reef which previously had the correct  golf course but now has been sold off for residential apparently.
  • I don't thing Bankstown airport is showing enough buildings although autogen at max.

As these areas are important to me I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to overcome these difficulties. The saving grace has been NSTU Pago Pago where I live and gives an

incredibly accurate reproduction of all islands of Samoa.

Michael Anderson

Hi, Michael.  I believe you have duplicated your installation by installing both "colored" AU areas, as well as AU SP4.  The latter is the updated version of the others and should be the primary Australian scenery installation.  Probably the others should be uninstalled, I would think.

Hi Stewart.  Thanks for your very quick response. I downloaded SP4.003 and the Important Information on the setup states "This patch should be installed if you have purchased any of Blue/Gold/Green/Red (or FTX Australia)" which is what I did. Nevertheless I think you may be correct and there is some conflict causing the problem, although the rest of Australia seems to work well.  SP4 is only some 750mb so I would not think it would replace the earlier versions with FTX Aust being about a 4.1gb download. I am also uncertain how FTX Global affects these areas.

Whilst ORBX scenery is the very best, in my opinion, I feel they need to more automate the installation process more so as to self analyze each installation and advise on any potential conflicts.

Michael (nee William)

22 minutes ago, William A Anderson said:

Hi Stewart.  Thanks for your very quick response. I downloaded SP4.003 and the Important Information on the setup states "This patch should be installed if you have purchased any of Blue/Gold/Green/Red (or FTX Australia)" which is what I did. Nevertheless I think you may be correct and there is some conflict causing the problem, although the rest of Australia seems to work well.  SP4 is only some 750mb so I would not think it would replace the earlier versions with FTX Aust being about a 4.1gb download. I am also uncertain how FTX Global affects these areas.

Whilst ORBX scenery is the very best, in my opinion, I feel they need to more automate the installation process more so as to self analyze each installation and advise on any potential conflicts.

Michael (nee William)

Hi, Michael.  Since you have already purchased the colored regions for AU, I believe you can go to the Flight Sim Store and "purchase" AU SP4, the complete installer, not the patch, and it won't cost you anything for the new download.  I don't know for sure, since I started from scratch with AU SP4 ( and not sorry I did!)

The double deck Sydney harbour bridge is caused by Vector. It also causes some other abnormalities in AU.

Vector and AUSP4 don't play well together. If you can put up with it, that's fine, but if you want a perfect AUSP4 then you will have to disable Vector.

In the Global Vectors Config. Tool I disabled Roads/Highways/Bridges and the Harbour Bridge is now back in all its glory. I also tried disabling all other boxes but no discernible difference on the other Sydney problems.

In the midst of this Auckland has suddenly gained its correct skyline and Wellington seems better. I will just download the specific Milford Sound pack and this should sufficiently solve my problems. Thank you all very much for your kind assistance.

35 minutes ago, William A Anderson said:

In the Global Vectors Config. Tool I disabled Roads/Highways/Bridges and the Harbour Bridge is now back in all its glory. I also tried disabling all other boxes but no discernible difference on the other Sydney problems.

In the midst of this Auckland has suddenly gained its correct skyline and Wellington seems better. I will just download the specific Milford Sound pack and this should sufficiently solve my problems. Thank you all very much for your kind assistance.

That Milford Sound strip is remarkable.  A group of us flew there Saturday and it got lots of ooh's and ahh's.  The Orcas and the waterfall are very kewl!  <hint, hint>

Hi Tim, originally from Sydney I actually currently live in Samoa (ex Western Samoa) but do often travel to the American side. As my only piloting nowadays is FS I am very very happy with the Pago addon and can testify to its almost uncanny accuracy. I recall FS2000 when all of the Samoa islands were just vague green blurs on the blue, so we have come a long way. Samoa of course needs FTX Global but then becomes very realistic.

Also of interest is that, although only some 60 miles apart, Independent Samoa elected to change the side of the dateline and introduce daylight saving with the result that American Samoa is 23 hours behind. This makes it a little interesting for Polynesian Airlines inter-island Twin Otter services going from today to yesterday and back several times a day! Yet another colonial hangover with one facing West, the other East.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2016 at 3:32 AM, William A Anderson said:

Hi Tim, originally from Sydney I actually currently live in Samoa (ex Western Samoa) but do often travel to the American side. As my only piloting nowadays is FS I am very very happy with the Pago addon and can testify to its almost uncanny accuracy. I recall FS2000 when all of the Samoa islands were just vague green blurs on the blue, so we have come a long way. Samoa of course needs FTX Global but then becomes very realistic.

Also of interest is that, although only some 60 miles apart, Independent Samoa elected to change the side of the dateline and introduce daylight saving with the result that American Samoa is 23 hours behind. This makes it a little interesting for Polynesian Airlines inter-island Twin Otter services going from today to yesterday and back several times a day! Yet another colonial hangover with one facing West, the other East.

23 hour time difference, ahh. I found it interesting enough flying from Melbourne to LA a few times, arriving before I took off and then returning losing an entire day as though it never existed

• 3 weeks later...

Oops another small glitch. Faleolo Airport, Samoa apron areas show as a rather strange material which appears like grass glued together with bitumen and at night revert back to a greenish colour. Be assured they are built of asphalt just like Pago Pago International; any suggestions how to remedy this?

Hi William,

The aprons at Faleleo are photoreal with APX markings, so if you use a 'grassy' type ground detail it can sometimes look a little odd, I highly recommend the FTX Aero 'Coarse' detail

To access FTX Aero open up FTXcentral >> Settings >> Tools >> FTX Aero

Then choose 'Coarse' and press Apply

Hi Tim,

Ahh yes that is much better. Perhaps my only other comments for Samoa are:

• Not enough churches, these appear almost ad nauseum in every village.
  • The extensive exposed cliff faces on the mountains do not generally appear. similar to most tropical islands vegetation grows even on the steepest slopes so is more correctly green.

Anyway these are minor matters and I am still very happy with the addon. Thanks very much for your guidance.

Archived