Help for building a new PC

Volcz

Hi all, most of you probably won't remember me!
After a few years off I've come back to flight simming. I've missed it dearly and it's going to be frustrating knowing how much I'm going to have to catch up in regards to news and products :P

Unfortunately my old PC died in a power surge and everything was lost off of it, so I'll have to try and access my FSS account once again and re-download everything, as well as all the freeware and countless fsx cfg tweaks!

Anyway, I've come specifically back here because I was wondering if I could have some help on specs for a new desktop I'm going to have built. My main aim is to have a beautiful Orbx Flight Sim experience; other games would be Train Sim and some Project Cars/GTA 5 here and there. There's limits to everything but if we could try cap it at $1,500 AUD that would be brilliant. I'm happy to sacrifice the GPU and put more towards a processor as FSX beign CPU intensive to my memory. Other than that, I'm not exactly sure what will suffice in 2016. You can see my old PC specs in my sig!

Really appreciate the help guys and looking forward to joining the Orbx community again!

PS: Jay Kae, you still here? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum :P

That's funny Sue, I was going to say exactly the same thing.

Welcome back Volcz.

Can't help with the equipment request though because everything in the UK is so much more expensive than, it seems, the rest of the world.  Your 1500AD equates to around £730 here and I doubt you could get a 'puter suitable for flight simming for anything like that here.  Mine, custom built for me a couple of years ago cost nearly £3000 = AD6084.  Holidays went for a burton that year!!  It did have everything with it admittedly so you can understand that someone in Ossieland will need to chip in with help on that one.

All the best with it and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

John

$1500 AU should get you a good system,Get a good motherboard I use the MSI Gaming 7 Z97 and i7-4790k (its actually better single core performance wise then the new skylake CPU's and single core performance is what gives you FPS in flightsim), What I would do is get a small SSD for you OS like 120GB or less they are about $40 USD,a 512GB for Prepar3d or FSX about $120USD and a 1TB HDD for your main files. There is no point in filling an SSD with clutter,it'll just slow it down. Graphics card wise a GTX970 or used GTX980 would be a good choice,most 980's have a 3 or more year warranty on them so your still covered,even though its used. Ram wise I would get either 8 or 16gb of 1866mhz DDR3 no point in faster ram as it won't have any effect on flight sim. If you still have your old PC and its a non OEM case just reuse it. CD drives reuse,ect. I would get an 850watt PSU which are about $150USD.(better to have more than enough power so it doesn't have to strain) I would definitely get a better than stock CPU cooler as well either an EVO 212 $30usd (air) or an H110 (water) $110USD.

I would doubt you could get in Australia any reasonable computer rig for $1,500 AUD that is $1,050 USD.   Prices here are much more expensive than in USA.

Best of luck but don't buy less than you need or you will be buying again.

Regards

Ken

While it's always the way really, I would point out that new GPUs are right around the corner, and they are reported to be a huge jump forward. Unlike CPUs, GPUs have been stuck on the same manufacturing process for several years. The 2016 GPUs will be the first in a very long time to make the jump to a smaller die, and because of the long time between upgrades, the step will be a big one (28nm to 16 / 14nm for Nvidia and AMD respectively) (further reading).

Maybe it doesn't make much of a difference if you want something in the here and now, but even if you do decide on something lika a GTX 970 / 980 / 980Ti, then it's always good to know in advance what's coming so that when it happens you know that you made your decision previously in the full knowledge of what's around the corner.

7 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

For your budget, I think the i7-4790K with GTX-970 will be a smart choice with a 1TB SSD. With a bit more budget, an i7-6700k.

I agree with this choice. How about something like this at $AUD1553:  https://pcpartpicker.com/b/pTKZxr  . Doesn't meet the 1TB drive test but you can always substitute one for the SSD at about the same price.

Doug

Hi all,

I have built my last 3 computers myself.  However, if I were to get a new computer tomorrow, I would probably buy one from Jetline....http://jetlinesystems.com/

I am not connected to them in any way...On my last build I  looked at their components, especially the motherboard., and  built a fine computer.

A good friend of mine had one built about a year ago... He just had a total system crash. Jetline offers a lifetime  guarantee . Jetline talked my friend through the Windows7 reinstallation on the phone, then did a remote, set-up, of FSX, including Overclocking... We have a lot of options today..

Regards,

Jerry Friz

Go to someplace like CyberPower. I bought mine there but there are others. Plug in all the goodies you want in your new 'dream machine' PC and it will give you a price. Then you can go from there. If you want to build it yourself you can start shopping for parts, or have them do it for more money. Anyway, it gives you a picture of what you're looking at.

jsapair

I think you are going to be hard pushed to get what you consider "beautiful Orbx Flight Sim experience" with your budget.

However, to start, look at sites like PCCASEGEAR (Victorian company) and examine what they offer for your budget like https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33889/pccg-razer-970-gaming-system  then price up what it would cost you to buy those components and assemble yourself. Use this as a yardstick and then either decide to stick to your budget or spend all of the AUS$1,700 on extra goodies improving on what they offer for the money.

In Western Australia you could compare with PLE https://www.ple.com.au/FeatureCategory.aspx?CategoryId=786  but I find them quite a bit more expensive than PCCASEGEAR albeit a lot more convenient for myself to just drop in.

At the end of the day you are always going to be chasing your tail as new HW/SW comes out. I usually find that aiming for the "Sweet Spot" and getting the most "Bang For Buck" is the easiest way forward.

Hi Jsapair,

Did you go to Jetline??  The reason I recommend them is they only build machines for flight simming....They install your flight sim, FSX, or, P3D, and run it for several hours.

They know how to set it up correctly.  Cyber power builds gaming machines,

Regards,

Jerry Friz

Hi Volcz

I upgraded 12 months ago to not only run FSX, but I also wanted to play GTA 5. I spent a little mnore than $1500 AUS but I love my new rig. Probably a bit over the top for FSX but GTA5 runs and looks brilliant.

Samsung 250gb EVO SSD (Win 7 64 bit)
Intel Core I7 5960x @ 4.4 Ghz
ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme Motherboard
ANTEC 1200W High Current Pro
Corsair H-80i Liquid Cooler
G Skill DDR4 16 GB

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
GEFORCE GTX 980 Strix

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:11 AM, shane2801 said:

Hi Volcz

I upgraded 12 months ago to not only run FSX, but I also wanted to play GTA 5. I spent a little mnore than $1500 AUS but I love my new rig. Probably a bit over the top for FSX but GTA5 runs and looks brilliant.

Samsung 250gb EVO SSD (Win 7 64 bit)
Intel Core I7 5960x @ 4.4 Ghz
ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme Motherboard
ANTEC 1200W High Current Pro
Corsair H-80i Liquid Cooler
G Skill DDR4 16 GB

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
GEFORCE GTX 980 Strix

That's a really great combination. Anyone looking for a well-priced box for either FSX or P3D can't go wrong with that choice.

Doug

Hi  Luke,

Yes, all good, except I would prefer , the AS Rock Z 170 Extreme 6, Intel LGA 1151,, for the Motherboard.... Asus, makes good motherboards, but I got one that had to be replaced 4 times, before I got one that would work... They kept sending me rebuilt ones, and I had to pay to send them back.

Jerry Friz

• 2 weeks later...

Get a good X99 motherboard and i7 Processor. My ASRock Extreme 4 has 8 RAM slots which I took advantage of a few weeks ago and added another 16Gb (for VR)

RAM is easy to add later and  Graphics card easy to change when budget allows. I had my previous computer for 5 years till I made a major upgrade this time last year

Archived