Cannot install NA traffic

NoLonger

I'd like to use the GA traffic option for FTX Norway and for that I need to install the NA freeware traffic. I am using P3D v3.1 on Windows 10 64 bit. When I run the installer I get to the screen that says '...files will be installed in the followng directory'. The field which should show the path is empty and 1. I cannot type a path into it and 2. clicking on the three dots to the right (to browse to a folder) does nothing. Hence I can't install the traffic. Clicking on Next obviously gives an error (Invalid directory).

Is the NA traffic freeware incompatible with Windows 10 or P3D v3.1...? My world is very lonesome and I'd love some traffic out there.

Since I cannot edit my post anymore (so it seems): I think the problem simply is the NA traffic installer isn't P3D 3.1 ready yet. It's only for P3D v2. My bad. Bummer. I do hope it will be made v3 compatible soon! As I said, I am getting lonely out there. ;)

Hello Jan

Yes, it is not ready yet, but since I couldn't wait for the P3D v3.1 installer and since  it is only AI Aircraft and Flight Plans,

I played the make believe game on it!. (Using the Registry)

It is quite simple, but I don't know if the staff will let me post the solution with the new P3D v3 structure.

Cheers

The installing of products without the right installer update is not "prohibited" it is just not "supported" by orbx.See the thread here, although on a different topic Luke does state certain things that are relevant to your situation.

You could PM J van E with your solution and make him a happy flyer!

17 hours ago, ramonb said:

Hello Jan

Yes, it is not ready yet, but since I couldn't wait for the P3D v3.1 installer and since  it is only AI Aircraft and Flight Plans,

I played the make believe game on it!. (Using the Registry)

It is quite simple, but I don't know if the staff will let me post the solution with the new P3D v3 structure.

Cheers

The creator of the files explained how to use an already installed version in P3D v3 elsewhere on this forum but unfortunately I don't have FSX or P3D v2 installed, only v3, so that's of no use to me. I suppose you found a way to use the already installed freeware in v3 and NOT a way to somehow get the files out of the exe? If someone knows how to extract the files or get a (legitimate) hold on them, I would love to know about it! 

1 hour ago, J van E said:

The creator of the files explained how to use an already installed version in P3D v3 elsewhere on this forum but unfortunately I don't have FSX or P3D v2 installed, only v3, so that's of no use to me. I suppose you found a way to use the already installed freeware in v3 and NOT a way to somehow get the files out of the exe? If someone knows how to extract the files or get a (legitimate) hold on them, I would love to know about it! 

Hello Jeroen

Please don't assume I hacked the exe.

This is LEGIT. NOT messing with the installer. I don´t have P3D v1 or v2 either.

PM me if you want the very simple solution.

Cheers

Question while I am at it: I do have the freeware Norwegian airports installed (Airports of Norway). If I ever get the NA AI to install and working in FTX Norway, will the AI work on those freeware airports too...? Or do I have to disable Airports of Norway in order to see AI on the FTX Norway upgraded airports?

1 hour ago, J van E said:

No, I don't want to accuse anyone of hacking! ;) As I said I would like to get a hold of the AI in a legitimate way. You've got a PM!

No problem

59 minutes ago, J van E said:

Question while I am at it: I do have the freeware Norwegian airports installed (Airports of Norway). If I ever get the NA AI to install and working in FTX Norway, will the AI work on those freeware airports too...? Or do I have to disable Airports of Norway in order to see AI on the FTX Norway upgraded airports?

They should work without disabling any,

AI traffic has "little" to do with airport bgl's, (used to park or gate aircraft)

(unless you buy an AI traffic addon that comes with its own airports (for placement ie.Parking and Gates) then you should

disable the unwanted duplicates.)

There is more to this, but a simple explanation: Traffic*.bgll's are instruction sets on where to fly AI aircraft (From-To),

airport.bgl's park the planes.

FSX/P3D allow as many Traffic_*.bgl files as your system can handle.

Cheers

One little question... how can I check if I am actually seeing FTX Norway AI traffic and not P3D default traffic? Anyone knows an Norwegian airport where by default there is no traffic but which is alive with the FTX AI? I installed the NA files and enabled FTX traffic because by default most airports are totally empty afaik. The two airports I visited so far were still empty but maybe I had to wait a bit longer for traffic to arrive and I suppose not EVERY airport gets traffic...?  Just curious if I installed everything the right way. ;)

5 hours ago, J van E said:

One little question...

Hello
I’m not on my PC now so I can’t check.

For testing make sure to Move the Traffic Sliders all the way up to 100%  and I recommend you enable the Traffic Tool from the Prepar3D SDK
(sorry not on my PC. You add the entry to dll.xml, just follow their instructions).

Then I would use “AI Flight Planner” and find out which Norwegian airports are included if any in the Traffic Files.
Note: AFAIK It is still for P3D v2 and  have not tried it yet with P3D v3, but it surely will read the traffic files from P3D v3.

If You find one or more then note the departure times and frequencies from the Flight Plans section and move your plane there, several minutes before (~ 10-15’)

If there are none you can easily create flight plans and add as many as you want to a new Traffic_Norway_JVE.bgl

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Ramon's suggestion with AI Flight Planner is  very good as it'll show all flight plan legs and times. In addition, obvious airports to check in NOR are those that don't exist at all in FSX/P3D by default; see the NOR kmz file for their ICAO's.

As far as I remember Chris placed GA AI traffic at all NOR airports large enough to accommodate GA parking spots. That being said Norway (in the real world) doesn't have the same amount of GA aircraft movements as North America so don't expect loads of traffic.

Cheers, Holger

Archived