Windows 10 & FSX: Upgrade or new install?

ThrottleUp

Hello friends :)

Windows 7 has been extremely stable and trouble-free to me but now I cant ignore the alerts to get Win10 Pro for free. Any change (specially when it comes to our beloved FSX and its excellent 3rd party addons) is filled with nervousness.

But Im now ready to get Windows 10 and just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. I recently discovered that its possible to download an .ISO of Win10 burn it to DVD (or create a mountable USB) and install a factory-fresh Win10 (it will erase the drive). This is the alternative to just upgrading.

When it comes to the FSX installation and all its numerous addons: would a brand new Win10 install be preferable to an upgrade? I know there will be a lot of work reinstalling stuff but I accept that in return for a "clean" OS install along with a fresh FSX install.

How many of you have done this and equally how many of you opted for the upgrade? How are your respective FSX sims running? Thanks for your feedback and...happy new year :)

Hi, 

if you're happy with Windows 7 and you want to get rid of the windows 10 nagging try this http://www.simforums.com/forums/a-warning-about-ms-updates-for-windows-10_topic52577.html

ORBX Staff:(I'm terribly sorry if this is against forum rules to post this here, I understand if it needs to be deleted)

if you really want windows 10 go for it, I think many users use Windows 10 and FSX/P3D and have no problems with it, I don't use it as I'm happy with Windows 7 but I'm sure someone will chime in 

hope this helps :)

If you do go the ISO way do you need to enter a serial number and will it take just the old win 7 number? The ISO was for "Microsoft club members (beta testers)" and was supplied with a common serial number, but in the future will you be required to get your own serial number? There are several other questions to be asked (and answered).

I upgraded to W10 with no problem at all.  It works FSX & P3D just fine.  I don't think it resulted in me having to reinstall anything

either.

A word of warning though.  It is a very different program to any of those before, even W8, and takes a bit of getting used to.

I like it but my wife hates it.  You can't win 'em all!!

John

I did installed WIN10 from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft web site.  Win 10 clean install is way better than the upgrade solution. Now it's also possible (was not before) to install it with a WIN 7serial key. I did not used the WIN 7 key solution as it was not possible to do it few months ago, so google it and you will see it's possible.

SSDs performances are better uwith WIN10 than WIN7. I did the tests, because I first upgraded to WIN10 from WIN7 clean install on my new PC to have my copy of WIN10 registered against my computer, and after I did a clean install of it.  See the difference here at post 27 : 

i have a Win 10 clean install and am extremely happy with it, with no problems. One minor point is that if you go with Win10 64 bit, remember to install the UIAutomationCore.dll in the FSX directory. The version I use is 6.0.5840.16386. Also after installing FSX I changed the fsx.exe executable to run in Win7 compatibility mode.

Without these two changes I would get CTD's, however after making these adjustments I have an FSX installation which is the most stable I have ever used. In terms of additional add ons, I run Orbx scenery, REX Environment 2.0, and at run time I use FSXWX, Air Traffic Manager and Reshade. All happily play together without issues.

I have no "performance tweaks" in my fsx.cfg. I have noticed that Win10 seems to be significantly better at multicore performance management  than any previous operating system. All cores load up nicely when FSX is running and the jobscheduler tweak (it was the only performance tweak I contemplated ) is an thing of the past as Win10 does a much better job in my opinion. I am very happy with the visual performance as well -- I have a few screenshots posted in the community screenshot forum.

I don't mean to come across as a "reformed smoker" but I really am glad I made the change.

Best of luck with your install

Regards

Renault

i have a Win 10 clean install and am extremely happy with it, with no problems. One minor point is that if you go with Win10 64 bit, remember to install the UIAutomationCore.dll in the FSX directory. The version I use is 6.0.5840.16386. Also after installing FSX I changed the fsx.exe executable to run in Win7 compatibility mode.

Without these two changes I would get CTD's, however after making these adjustments I have an FSX installation which is the most stable I have ever used. In terms of additional add ons, I run Orbx scenery, REX Environment 2.0, and at run time I use FSXWX, Air Traffic Manager and Reshade. All happily play together without issues.

I have no "performance tweaks" in my fsx.cfg. I have noticed that Win10 seems to be significantly better at multicore performance management  than any previous operating system. All cores load up nicely when FSX is running and the jobscheduler tweak (it was the only performance tweak I contemplated ) is an thing of the past as Win10 does a much better job in my opinion. I am very happy with the visual performance as well -- I have a few screenshots posted in the community screenshot forum.

I don't mean to come across as a "reformed smoker" but I really am glad I made the change.

Best of luck with your install

Regards

Renault

@ZIGGY Thanks! I did discover this tiny little software that kills all the Win10 nags with one button presss. Really cool. Easy to disable it as well if you do want to upgrade.

@petfy What I found out is that BEFORE you can go the ISO route you need to upgrade to Win10. **THEN** you can go ahead with ISO clean install. Something to do with tying the Win10 serial# (which it will ask for during clean install) to your machine.

@JohnY yeah theres definetly a divide Ive noticed even amongst my friends here! Im all for advancing to new stuff its just tough to do when the current OS (Win7) is so good and stable. If I was on Win 8 id be on Win 10 like a hot potato!

@ifrevets thanks, id forgotten about the rollback option. Need to keep that in mind.

@Mikelab6 for sure, if I go ahead with Win10 it will be a clean ISO install. Ive never been a fan of in-place upgrades. I know it works just fine for plently of people but I guess im a bit OCD and want it as a brand new clean install!

@renault Im glad to hear this and it gives some peace of mind. Thanks also for the tip about that .dll !! That would have driven me nuts. I hear you on the fsx tweaks. The only one i use is LOD_RADIUS=6.5

@neucoas glad to hear this, actually many have reported that they have had no issues with the upgrade. Im glad I waited a bit to see how it went for other simmers. I need to kinda hustle a bit because the free offer for WIn 10 only lasts a year.

@ThrottleUp Yes, it last until 29 July.

For me it was a day one upgrade. I really like to experiment new things. I'm really happy, more now that you can use you Windows 7/8.1 serial key to activate W10 (previous upgrade process required). Before you had to do the whole process again if you change your HW.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10. After two days when windows 10 no longer showed me it's features and I also discovered that I could not find a lot of my flight simulator files. Even though it was supposed to protect those files on upgrade it managed to lose a lot of them. dll's needed to operate such aircraft as pmdg 747-400. I did not like it's file manager as it seems all programs for hidden. I was not able to go back to windows seven because two months had allowed since upgrading. I tried to fix windows 10 with the windows 10 fix it feat feature without any success. In my frustrations, I bought a new ssd d r i v e and reinstalled windows seven. I now ignore space the flashing windows 10 upgrade.

Archived