P3D v3 Install on the same SSD as OS?

zazaboeing

Hi all!

I installed my P3d v3 on the same SSD the Windows10 is, and after many addons were installed I remembered somewhere down the road of my mind I have read someone mentioning NOT installing the sim on the same SSD the OS is. (can't find that post anymore) :(

Any opinion on that? Should I recosinder reinstalling all over again, on my secondary SSD?

Thanks!

I'm sure that you'll get lots of contradictory advice on this!!

I installed my new P3Dv3 onto a new, dedicated SSD - but found that, like FSX, P3D spends a lot of time writing content (shaders etc.) to your *user* directory - on the system drive - effectively negating much of the advantage (I think!). My answer to that was to put in a small SSD and use Primocache to cache my system drive. I couldn't bear the thought of trying to reinstall a perfectly good Win7x64 onto an SSD proper.

One major disadvantage I can think of is backups. Your P3D drive will grow and grow - and system drives can often go the same way (but maybe not so much). The two combined may mean massive backups but, again, maybe a decent utility (Acronis) could handle all that anyway.

Adam.

Not sure that the "limited writes" for SS D's is true, or an urban legend.. I know a highly skilled computer tech who tells me that you would have to fill and empty an SSD every day for many years to run out of writes.. I would sure like to hear of anyone "killing" an SSD in this way.

That said, I have my OS on the C drive, and my sim on a raid array of two smaller SSD's and have had this setup for many years with no problems with the drives, and I have done literally dozens of re installs over said years. Teecee.

It's the writes to the SSD that causes the "life span" problem not the reads. It's true that all SSD drives have a limited life. But, so do HDD's. I agree with teecee's computer tech. Go ahead and put P3D on the SSD and don't worry about it.

Archived