KJAC/KBZN without Rocky Mountains, possible?

CaptKornDog

Hello all.

Is there a chance KJAC/KBZN would work without the Rocky Mountains product, and just FTX Global (like KPSP and KEGE)?  Have always wanted to purchase KJAC/KBZN (especially now with the sale) but large scale, high-res regions/meshes in my simulator have just never been "my thing" for a few personal, opinionated reasons.

thanks!

Greetings,

While you MIGHT be able to install it without the Rocky Mountain region, the results would suck big time. It requires the region for accurate terrain/elevation and other items. Try the Pacific Northwest demo to see if Orbx regions might work for you. Personally, I wouldn't fly that area without the regional packages; I fly GA and they correct many of the incorrectly placed (by MS) airfield.

Respectfully,

Brian

38 minutes ago, bdrichmond said:

Greetings,

While you MIGHT be able to install it without the Rocky Mountain region, the results would suck big time. It requires the region for accurate terrain/elevation and other items. Try the Pacific Northwest demo to see if Orbx regions might work for you. Personally, I wouldn't fly that area without the regional packages; I fly GA and they correct many of the incorrectly placed (by MS) airfield.

Respectfully,

Brian

KBZN and KJAC work with the PNW demo?

G'day Capt,

On 27/11/2015, 02:05:11, CaptKornDog said:

Is there a chance KJAC/KBZN would work without the Rocky Mountains product, and just FTX Global (like KPSP and KEGE)?

Whilst we recommend that you have a copy of the CRM Region installed to use in conjunction with KJAC and KBZN, I have seen from time to time a couple of customers who only use the airports. The airports should mostly work fine without CRM; a couple of potential components you will miss out on without the region will include:

- Colour blending/matching at the edges of the photoreal coverage areas

- Some seasonal variations at the airport (HW, SP) will not align with the corresponding season outside of the coverage area. 

- Road traffic, some vector data (default style road bridges) will not 100% align with the photoreal scenery

- You will only see default elevation mesh at the airports, as the higher-resolution custom mesh is only included with the CRM package. 

Unfortunately we can't provide support for any problems you might have that are caused by not having the underlying region installed and nor can I guarantee these will be the only problems you will experience, but perhaps a few members who only have the airports installed might wish to chime in with their experiences. My recommendation? If you've got the cash, pick up a copy of CRM whilst it's on sale - it drastically improves a beautiful part of the US, and has long been one of my favourite regions to explore. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

On Thu Nov 26 2015 12:05:11 GMT-0600, CaptKornDog said:

Hello all.

Is there a chance KJAC/KBZN would work without the Rocky Mountains product, and just FTX Global (like KPSP and KEGE)?  Have always wanted to purchase KJAC/KBZN (especially now with the sale) but large scale, high-res regions/meshes in my simulator have just never been "my thing" for a few personal, opinionated reasons.

thanks!

I have KJAC installed as a stand alone product with just Global and UTX and it works and looks just fine with no anomalies.  I also do not have any regions or region demos installed. 

FWIW, I also have the Lake Tahoe airport installed by itself and have no issues with it running alone.

8 hours ago, GordonGekko said:

I have KJAC installed as a stand alone product with just Global and UTX and it works and looks just fine with no anomalies.  I also do not have any regions or region demos installed. 

FWIW, I also have the Lake Tahoe airport installed by itself and have no issues with it running alone.

Thanks for the information, good to know.  KJAC has been one I've had my eyes on for quite some time, but just have been wishing for standalone (or just FTX Global) compatibility.

1 hour ago, CaptKornDog said:

Thanks for the information, good to know.  KJAC has been one I've had my eyes on for quite some time, but just have been wishing for standalone (or just FTX Global) compatibility.

Yeah I had been wishing for a stand alone also buy when it was on sale last time I decided to buy it and see how it ran on its own. Turned out fine without without having the region so I decided to buy Lake Tahoe as well and it runs fine also without the corresponding region. 

It can be a gamble though running some of the airports without the regions. From what I heard Monterey doesn't work very well without the region, although I have not tried it myself.

I wish all the airports came with additional files you could download to make them fully compatible without the regions. There are a lot that I would like to buy if I could be guaranteed they'll work fine sitting on top of just Global.

7 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

The Regions are so much better than running only Global, I would suggest trying one of them to see how you like it.  NCA would be a logical place to start, but it's certainly up to you.

I own PNW and AU SP4 that includes all of Australia but I have uninstalled them. Since I fly airliners I find that regions and the associated VAS and FPS hit are not worth (especially  PNW  at KSEA) it since I am not sight seeing in more performance friendly aircraft,  hence the reason Global airports or just the airports or more interest to me now.  If I was a GA flyer then I'd go for regions. Plus  flying airliners, regions that are available are not in areas I fly frequently. 

I have to admit that the SoCal region is looking good and I might go for it.

8 minutes ago, GordonGekko said:

Since I fly airliners I find that regions and the associated VAS and FPS hit are not worth (especially  PNW  at KSEA) it since I am not sight seeing in more performance friendly aircraft,  hence the reason Global airports or just the airports or more interest to me now.

A very similar situation as me.  I've balance-tweaked my machine enough where I'm certainly happy with the VAS, FPS, and overall performance with the complicated airliners.  Although, sure, I sacrifice some eye candy (which I'm OK with) for a smooth, stable sim for my kind of flying.  I've just never gotten large meshes or high-resolution ground textures or mesh areas to look as good as screenshots without a noticeable impact to performance (much rather would have some blurries in the distance than stutters or much VAS drop.).  However, blurries and lowering terrain resolution defeat the purpose of high-resolution textures and meshes over such a large area, so, I tend to shy away from them in general.  The stand-alone Global airports (payware and freeware) and smaller surrounding regions are perfect for me.

Guess I have a few more weeks to decide on KJAC or KBZN, but probably leaning toward the "wait and save my money" category, unfortunately.

Archived