FPS friendly NA OrbX airfields?

norfolk mike

My PC isn't cutting edge, so I have to err on the side of caution!

I have all of the UK airfields (well, with the exception of Fairoaks), and find that the majority of them can accommodate my RealAir Turbine Duke at 30fps (locked). Elstree is one exception, Cardiff and Southampton two others (although Southampton gives me 25fps and I can live with that).

Now that the West Coast of America is getting bigger, and set to expand a little more before Christmas, I'm looking at maybe buying some additional airfields. I know its a loaded question with multiple dependencies on a multitude of factors, but I'd be interested in a recommendation or two as to which of the available airfields are (in your opinion) decent performers relative to others?

I need to get from Skagit (28 fps) to Palm Springs (26fps) in the Duke, so anything comparable to those figures would be fine. I have Juneau and Felt's Spokane but find both of those a little too demanding and consequently 'stuttery'. Jackson's Hole gives a smooth 30fps, as does Walter Sutton's (although the Duke is a bit ambitious for the latter), but nothing gets wasted as I can always plant the Alabeo Pitts in the more demanding airfields and performance isn't going to be a factor!

Its just that there are quite a few to choose from!

4 minutes ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

You don't mention what you're running for a simulator engine, ORBX sceneries perform better for me in P3D than in FSX.

I think that mostly any scenery and complex aircrafts will perform better in P3D as it is more optimized for CPU usage as some computations are done by GPU.

I'm using FSX for these airfield and region combinations. As I said, in the majority of situations its absolutely adequate and the question was more for the fact I wanted to avoid any real FPS killers amongst the collection (if indeed there are any). More of a one airfield relative to another comparison than one airfield on one sim compared to another type of thing.

P3D V3? Yes, I appreciate what you are saying, but I cannot (at this moment in time) justify upgrading my GPU, purchasing another flight sim and then repurchasing the RealAir Duke (would it be discounted?) just to take the gamble out of a couple of airfields :D.

Besides, FSX-SE is my SERIOUS sim, reserved exclusively for the PMDG NGX (which I haven't a clue how to fly), FTX Global, UTX2 and probably a handful of FlyTampa, FSDT etc airports. The FPS increase on that (compared to FSX) is quite noticeable on my PC, and even with my antiquated graphics card its pulling between 50 and 60 FPS in most of the situations I ask of it without rebellion. I do concede however that the enhanced lighting in P3D V3 would be 'nice', and so it'll be a serious consideration for the future.

5 minutes ago, norfolk mike said:

I'm using FSX for these airfield and region combinations. As I said, in the majority of situations its absolutely adequate and the question was more for the fact I wanted to avoid any real FPS killers amongst the collection (if indeed there are any). More of a one airfield relative to another comparison than one airfield on one sim compared to another type of thing.

P3D V3? Yes, I appreciate what you are saying, but I cannot (at this moment in time) justify upgrading my GPU, purchasing another flight sim and then repurchasing the RealAir Duke (would it be discounted?) just to take the gamble out of a couple of airfields :D.

Besides, FSX-SE is my SERIOUS sim, reserved exclusively for the PMDG NGX (which I haven't a clue how to fly), FTX Global, UTX2 and probably a handful of FlyTampa, FSDT etc airports. The FPS increase on that (compared to FSX) is quite noticeable on my PC, and even with my antiquated graphics card its pulling between 50 and 60 FPS in most of the situations I ask of it without rebellion. I do concede however that the enhanced lighting in P3D V3 would be 'nice', and so it'll be a serious consideration for the future.

You can purchase turbine duke for P3D at discount price. There is updated version for P3D v2 and v3 which solves some issues - there is no new version for FSX.

But PMDG have no upgrade price and P3D versions are cost litte bit more than P3D versions... I understand that switch to P3D should be problematic.

I haven't got an issue either :D. My FSX is running brilliantly, and the ONLY reason I went on to get FSX-SE was so that I could offload the PMDG NGX onto THAT, and keep FSX for all of the regions and OrbX airfields. It just seemed simpler, and the fact FSX-SE seemingly delivers better performance on my PC is just a bonus. I THOUGHT Palm Springs was only returning 26fps, but later realised I have all the extra animations turned on, because I primarily use KPSP for the A2A P:51, and IT (being a FPS friendly aircraft) can cope with that, whereas I find the Turbine Duke to be a 'little' more demanding. Now that I've turned off the extras, it too delivers 30.1 FPS fairly consistently without too much loss in visual appeal.

In fact, ALL I wanted to know (and actually still do) is whether any of the current OrbX payware airfields for the North American regions are 'generally' considered to be more performance degrading than the average, so I might avoid them? Which sim I am using, and which sim YOU are using is probably irrelevant (unless you just feel compelled to seize the opportunity to sing the praises of your chosen platform :wacko::D). Of course I am assuming (possibly erroneously) that an airfield which is quite demanding in regards to performance in FSX will be equally so relative to the others in P3D V3, FSX-SE or FSX with DX10?

Of course, if DX10 makes any question in regards to addon airfield\aircraft performance redundant, then I'll have to look into that as a matter of priority. I have to say though, that I purchased HD Trees on the premise it would be like having an upgraded CPU, but I had to uninstall it due to micro stutters :wacko:.

Archived