Vector with SimStarter

Jon Clarke

I use Simstarter and have created Profiles to run for different areas of my flights. For example with Central set on Global I disable FTX Regions (I don't fly in Hybrid) and only have enable orbxlibs and all my photoscenery + OLC Europe and NA\Alaska-Canada. In Central setting to North America I have disabled FTX AU, Norway, Scotland and all photoscenery etc.

I notice in the Vector Elevation tool it says that the tool should be run (partial extract of the instructions) when activating or deactivating addon scenery. My question therefore is does this mean that every time I use a different Simstarter profile which involves some sceneries being deactivated, as in my examples earlier, that I need to run the Vector AEC tool?

It sounds like I should but want confirmation please. The AEC reads the scenery.cfg

but does it only read the areas which are set to be active i.e. areas that have

Active=TRUE  Required=False, Active=TRUE Required=True? Or does it read all including Active=False Required= False?

Any help appreciated.

Hi, there.  I also use SimStarter and set my profiles up somewhat the same as you do.  If you set up a Vector profile for each region (Global, NA, etc.), then load that profile when you set up Central for that region, then you don't need to run Vector every time you change regions.  Loading the appropriate Vector profile will save you the trouble of running Vector every time you switch regions.  Of course, any time you change the composition of the region by adding a new airport, for instance, you have to run the Vector AEC again, then save the new profile under that same name as before the new installation.  Hope this is clear. 

Stew

Hi, there.  I also use SimStarter and set my profiles up somewhat the same as you do.  If you set up a Vector profile for each region (Global, NA, etc.), then load that profile when you set up Central for that region, then you don't need to run Vector every time you change regions.  Loading the appropriate Vector profile will save you the trouble of running Vector every time you switch regions.  

Stew

Hi Stewart,

I use, SimStarter in a similar way. You probably observed the most recent SimStarter version can make region switching automatically, i.e., you can assign an ORBX region to any SimStarter profile. Very handy indeed, you never have to call (or can forget to call) FTX Central in advance of a flight.

This raises the question if you could automate Vector profile switching in a similar way. As fas as I understand your proposal, you would have to load a profile, say europe.vprofile, in advance of a flight in Europe which is a bit inconvenient given you just got rid of manual region switching itself.

On the base of this is the question if the Vector tool does allow command line calls as does FTX Vector 2, which I don't know.

Kind regards, Michael.

Hi,

after rethinking the matter I doubt we need another switch for Vector AEC settings. Here's what I do.

I have one "Master" Simstarter profile with all sceneries active, plus a number of profiles according to the FTX Regions called "FTX North America", "FTX Gobal" etc with the corresponding regions plus additional addons (KSEA, KFSO HD ...), respectively, active, similar as you have.

First, I activate all sceneries either by running the simulatoir once with the "Master" profile or by hand in the Scenery Editor (that's what I do). Now I run the Vector AEC tool which should take care of all airports I own.

In advance of actual flying, I switch to, say, "FTX North America". This deactivates Oceania (and other) addon airports with their AEC settings becoming potentially wrong. However, as I am going to fly in North America anyway, this shouldn't matter, and all North American airports were taken care of by the Vector tool.

In theory, there might be one loophole concerning addon mesh which I have active in "FTX Gobal" but not in, say, "FTX North America" where I rely on the integrated Holger Mesh. You could take care of this by keeping the addon mesh always active which I avoid because of (i) long loading times (ii) Regions might be better optimized for using their own Mesh.

In practice I never ran into trouble this way, except a very few singular airports others had trouble with, too.

Kind regards, Michael

Interesting. I too have had a rethink and have come to the conclusion that I see no reason to have Vector enabled at all except flying in Global. If you are flying in a FTX Region all the necessary details are contained in the regions package( roads, rivers, shorelines etc) The only time Vector shows up with it's magic is in non regions, i.e. Global. I stand to be corrected on this if anyone can tell me otherwise.

Therefore I had set my Simstarter profiles, like you pmb, into Regions, FTX NA, EU & Oceana. In these profiles Vector is disabled. My Profile for Global has Vector enabled. I have then chosen a Region in Central, opened P3D via simstarer so it loads the correctly adjusted scenery cfg, then shut down P3D and run the Vector Configuration Tool. I do that for each Region and save a Vector Profile for each. I then run Central in Global and after closing P3D run the Vector tool again and save a profile for Global.

pmb, I have a question regarding the Simstarter: If I open it and need to adjust a setting in a Profile and go Scenery Set\Open scenery manager, then when i have done what I want to do in scenery manager there is no way I can get back to a previous page in simstarter. It closes the Simstarter view but keeps running in the background. the only way i can close it or get it back again is to use task manager. I can then reopen Simstarter. Am I doing something wrong and is there a way to get back Simstarter with out closing it via task manager and then reopening it?

pmb, I have a question regarding the Simstarter: If I open it and need to adjust a setting in a Profile and go Scenery Set\Open scenery manager, then when i have done what I want to do in scenery manager there is no way I can get back to a previous page in simstarter. It closes the Simstarter view but keeps running in the background. the only way i can close it or get it back again is to use task manager. I can then reopen Simstarter. Am I doing something wrong and is there a way to get back Simstarter with out closing it via task manager and then reopening it?

I think, this is a bug indeed. I can confirm it and will communicate it to the author.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi folks. I am the developer of SIMstarter and in touch with Michael.

Switching Vector configuration should be possible too. I am thinking of that.

I think, this is a bug indeed. I can confirm it and will communicate it to the author.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes. It's a bug and fixed by that BETA version:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/476676-simstarter-version-27-out-now/?p=3313591

Just another question:

I've changed the order of setting up the scenery.cfg and perform the ORBX region switch. In version 2.6.3 and former it FIRST set up the ORBX region and THEN the scenery.cfg file (by ScenerySets). In version 2.7 this has changed because of a feature request. What order was making sense from your perspective?

Hello, pero.  To my mind the former procedure with 2.6.3 seemed to make sense, but that doesn't seem to be the problem I am having.  With 2.7, if I have every scenery and airport installed and active in the scenery.cfg file, and I want to change the ScenerySet to North America only, that North America ScenerySet doesn't seem to load up and be installed by Simstarter prior to loading FSX.  So if I have lots of Australian airports and sceneries installed in the full version of the scenery.cfg file, having Simstarter install the North America ScenerySet doesn't affect the "default" scenery.cfg file--all the Australian sceneries are still there and active.  My understanding of Simstarter was that the North America ScenerySet would be loaded in place of whatever ScenerySet was presently active.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  I hope this is clear--it's the best I could do to explain the problem.

Thanks for listening!

Stew H.

Archived