FSDT Las Vegas Elevation issue

Piper9t3

Just installed Vector 1.3 into P3Dv3 and I ran the Vector auto- configurator for addon airport elevation corrections.  After the auto-configuration, KLAS was added to the AEC IS DISABLED FOR list.  However the airport still sits on a plateau and I also notice some morphing of textures surrounding the airport.  I do have Pilots FTX global mesh and I notice when I disable the entry FSGX2010\NAM in the scenery library the elevation issue is corrected. 

I have KLAS above the Vector entries which sit above the Pilots global mesh entries in the Scenery Library.  Any ideas how to correct this issue? 

I had to manually add the Pilots global mesh entries in the P3Dv3 Scenery Library?   Can anyone advise on the proper location?

Thanks

This is a long-standing problem with the FSDT KLAS scenery when used with any kind of mesh with a higher resolution than default. This particular issue will be present at KLAS even if Vector is not installed.

I first saw this KLAS plateau problem over 4 years ago, when I first installed Pilot's Ultimate mesh in conjunction with the FSDT scenery.

It's my understanding that FSDT intends to do a complete update of KLAS at some point, but I don't know what their timeline is.

In short, there is nothing you can do in Vector's config program to fix this issue. As far as I am aware, the only cure at this time is to disable hi-res mesh in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah your probably right on this cause when I do disable the Pilots mesh the problem goes away and unfortunately Vector auto configurator cannot correct it.

Still like advice on where I should be placing the Pilots FTX global mesh entries in the Scenery Library?

Taken from the Definitive Guide:

3rd party scenery

FTX Full Fat regions & airports

Tongass if you have it

FTX Open LC

Named default scenery entries

FS Global mesh

FTX Vector (Obj,Apt.CVX, EXX

Numbered deaault scenery

FTX Global Vector AEC tool

"Default scenery"

"default terrain"

When I had (initially) just stock P3D with the Pilot's Mesh, the mesh entries began right after the entry for "1107 Base", which at that time made the first mesh entry Area 99. After installing Vector, the main Vector areas installed after 1107 Base, with the Mesh entries right after Vector, beginning at Area 104. All the base scenery area numbers increased by one because Vector also makes a new entry way up top at Area 003.

This appears to be in keeping with the Definitive Guide jjaycee1 mentioned.

As JR said, it's a known and long continual problem with the FSDT KLAS and any third-party addon mesh.  There is an exclusion file posted in the FSDT Support Forum KLAS thread posted several years ago, but it may not always work depending on other scenery you have for the Las Vegas area (I live in Las Vegas, and believe me I've tried all the solutions I could find but I still have some issues because of other local addons).   You could always try downloading the file and see what happens.  It's a simple file you manually add or delete to the correct folder, so you can always reverse it by just removing the file.

FSDT says their next project is a Version 2 for KLAS.  When that may happen is anybody's guess though.  ;-)  In the meantime the overall airport looks very good, so I just ignore some of the elevation discrepancies on the airport boundaries.  The worst case I run into is if I activate MegaScenery Earth Las Vegas Ultrares Photo Scenery.  The Strip autogen for some of the hotels close to the airport will be off the ground a bit because of a conflict between my FSG terrain mesh, the FSDT KLAS exclusion file, and the autogen placement of the hotels.  Plus don't go driving anything less than a 4-wheel drive off-road desert thumper on any of the streets if you want to live to tell about it.

;-)  

As JR said, it's a known and long continual problem with the FSDT KLAS and any third-party addon mesh.  There is an exclusion file posted in the FSDT Support Forum KLAS thread posted several years ago, but it may not always work depending on other scenery you have for the Las Vegas area (I live in Las Vegas, and believe me I've tried all the solutions I could find but I still have some issues because of other local addons).   You could always try downloading the file and see what happens.  It's a simple file you manually add or delete to the correct folder, so you can always reverse it by just removing the file.

FSDT says their next project is a Version 2 for KLAS.  When that may happen is anybody's guess though.  ;-)  In the meantime the overall airport looks very good, so I just ignore some of the elevation discrepancies on the airport boundaries.  The worst case I run into is if I activate MegaScenery Earth Las Vegas Ultrares Photo Scenery.  The Strip autogen for some of the hotels close to the airport will be off the ground a bit because of a conflict between my FSG terrain mesh, the FSDT KLAS exclusion file, and the autogen placement of the hotels.  Plus don't go driving anything less than a 4-wheel drive off-road desert thumper on any of the streets if you want to live to tell about it.

;-)  

Hi, there.  It appears that the file you mention might possibly be included in the most recent installer for the airport.  At least that's the impression I get from the discussion (from 4 years ago, btw) there at the FSDT support forum for KLAS.  It may very well be that the "cliffs" problem is still part of the airport's current installer, since I see it as well.

Yes, it's still a problem with the airport, regardless of how you get the file.  If I recall correctly, the extra exclusion file extended out much farther from the airport, which eliminated the cliffs adjacent to the airport, but put half of Las Vegas on a raised plateau then.  There would be a cliff halfway between KLAS and Nellis AFB then, and many of the autogen objects closer to KLAS on the Strip would not be elevated correctly anymore if you were using another 3rd party scenery for them.  Bottom line is the original FSDT KLAS was made for the default FSX mesh, and they never did manage to fix it to work with 3rd party mesh.  Hopefully that will be solved with version 2.  In the meantime, I live with it 'cos the airport itself looks fine.

Yes, it's still a problem with the airport, regardless of how you get the file.  If I recall correctly, the extra exclusion file extended out much farther from the airport, which eliminated the cliffs adjacent to the airport, but put half of Las Vegas on a raised plateau then.  There would be a cliff halfway between KLAS and Nellis AFB then, and many of the autogen objects closer to KLAS on the Strip would not be elevated correctly anymore if you were using another 3rd party scenery for them.  Bottom line is the original FSDT KLAS was made for the default FSX mesh, and they never did manage to fix it to work with 3rd party mesh.  Hopefully that will be solved with version 2.  In the meantime, I live with it 'cos the airport itself looks fine.

I certainly agree about the quality of the airport itself.  I also hope version 2 fixes this problem.  The other night I landed at KLAS at around 10:00 pm and watched the fireworks show.  Pretty neat, I must say!

Stew

Archived