Spikes in the terrain near Portland.

aniiran

I keep getting spikes from a distance in the terrain in a specific type of farm land class that is pretty prevalent near the Columbia river and Puget Sound.  They appear at 20miles out but disappear 2 miles out.

Any ideas?  Already did a fresh reinstall FTX PNW.  Memory issue?  Terrain cfg. issue?

My system is an i7 MQ7810. 24GB RAM, Nvidia 970M 6GB. PNW SP .008.  Pretty robust system.  I started noticing this after the .008 patch.  I checked for meshes I don't have any that would compete.  I also have this problem in areas I have absolutely no add on scenery.  I thought a reinstall would fix it.

Thanks

spikes.jpg

5m.... still get it. 2m still get it.

I don't have vector. 

One odd thing I did notice is I have no files in FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS just a scenery folder.

I only have the ORBX products listed in my signature.

Also, if you slew to the spot.  The spikes don't appear until the textures fully load. When the textures are blurry the spikes aren't there, but as the textures fully load they appear. They look like rock bases but there is no rhyme or reason why they appear where they appear. 

Hi there,

The fact that the spikes disappear when approaching indicates an issue with the lower LODs of the active terrain mesh file; if it was a flattening issue with waterbodies or other scenery elements then the spikes would remain visible from close up. 

I've checked the same area in PNW but can't confirm the spikes here. Are you perhaps using another mesh add-on for North America?

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: for the Orbx Libs issue grab a copy from our support site and run the installer; keep an eye on the installation directory it shows in case there's a registry mismatch: https://www.fullterrain.com/support#Orbxlibs

However, I doubt that the spikes are related to missing Orbx Libraries.

post-375-0-29831700-1445905219_thumb.jpg

Well I have disabled everything in the area.  Momentarily they did not manifest, but then after I restarted FSX they were in the same area, same spot.

I'm beginning to wonder if one of the non ORBX.  FTX style vector/ sceneries I have in Asia or Africa could have messed up or altered the Terrain.cfg.  I disabled those sceneries too but they still manifest.  here are some more pics of what they look like, just in case they could help.  The real problem is KTTD is my airport of choice in real life and in FSX and these are visible on a RWY 25 take off and drive me nuts.

spikes2.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/10/27/spikes2.jpg

spikes3.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/10/27/spikes3.jpg

spikes4.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/10/27/spikes4.jpg

Hi there,

I don't think terrain.cfg is involved in this issue though you could always run a quick test by starting with a default copy and then let FTX Central re-insert the Orbx block; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/79004-resolving-rapid-ground-texture-morphing/

What happens if you uncheck the "FTX_NA_PNW07_MESH" entry in your scenery library menu? You can do that during a flight and thus see the difference, if any, right away.

The color differences between our screenshots are indeed seasonal as the Pacific Northwest tends to have very dry summers and then plenty of rain the rest of the year.

Cheers, Holger

Yep it was a competing mesh.  It was T2G KSEA-Terrain causing the problem.  I now remember they altered a large area of mesh to get the scenery compatible with ORBX.  That was very trying, I just starting disabling everything until the anomalies went away.  A scenery in Seattle? Yep.  I never would have thought either.

Now how to fix it.  It's going to be a hard sell to get T2G to care about this.  Any other options? Anyone interested in making a flatten switch?  If you have T2G KSEA you should have these spikes on Sauvie Island and near woodland as well.

Yep it was a competing mesh.  It was T2G KSEA-Terrain causing the problem.  I now remember they altered a large area of mesh to get the scenery compatible with ORBX.  That was very trying, I just starting disabling everything until the anomalies went away.  A scenery in Seattle? Yep.  I never would have thought either.

Now how to fix it.  It's going to be a hard sell to get T2G to care about this.  Any other options? Anyone interested in making a flatten switch?  If you have T2G KSEA you should have these spikes on Sauvie Island and near woodland as well.

Confirmed...

I tested this too as I also have the T2G KSEA installed. Hadn't noticed it before now, but the same spikes were present around PDX for me too with the KSEA active.

Good news is however, that while this certainly should be better fixed by T2G, there is a simple solution that does not involve flattens or any other work to be done to either PNW or KSEA.

Simply move the T2G KSEA TERRAIN entry in your scenery Library to a point BELOW any FTX entries, and the spikes around KPDX disapear, and there appears to be no adverse effects on KSEA either. Leave the T2G KSEA (the not-terrain one) entry where it is above the FTX entries.

I placed the KSEA TERRAIN entry just above the default entries in my scenery library and it works just fine.

That worked until I restarted.  It messes up KSEA mesh to have the KSEA terrain below FTX.  Take a look at it again, I have a weird ridge left of 34L and odd drop offs/ floating objects on the 16 end.  It "works" but it's not ideal.  T2G needs to fix it right.

I sent Taxi 2 gate an e-mail. 

One of the issues with FSX is that you can install and go to a scenery or make a change but you never know what its really going to do until you have restarted the program. 

That worked until I restarted.  It messes up KSEA mesh to have the KSEA terrain below FTX.  Take a look at it again, I have a weird ridge left of 34L and odd drop offs/ floating objects on the 16 end.  It "works" but it's not ideal.  T2G needs to fix it right.

I sent Taxi 2 gate an e-mail. 

One of the issues with FSX is that you can install and go to a scenery or make a change but you never know what its really going to do until you have restarted the program. 

I checked it again and did not have the ridge you're talking of. I have seen that ridge in the past, but this is usually caused by the existing PNW KSEA (or another 3rd party KSEA, like what is often provided by traffic packages) conflicting and causing the floating objects and ridges. A dead giveaway for this situation would be a "dual" control tower at KSEA. If you're seeing that, then you need to disable the conflicting KSEA.

That said, I did go and recheck my findings, and did find a few anomalies, specifically with water elevations of various ponds, and a small chunk of autogen that was missing.

I have however found a solution to this. I also restarted the sim to check that it was not a temporary fix, and can happily report that the following solution works just fine and sticks:

1. Disable the Orbx PNW KSEA... This can be done by disabling the following files found in the "<YOUR SIM DIRECTORY>\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY\scenery" folder:

ADE_FTX_PNW_KSEA_Seattle-Tacoma_Intl.BGL

ADE_FTX_PNW_KSEA_Seattle-Tacoma_Intl_CVX.bgl

FTX_PNW_objects_KSEA_BCN_PLC.bgl

FTX_PNW_objects_KSEA_PLC.bgl

2. Disable any additional 3rd party KSEA scenery addons (These can be added by Traffic packages... Search the directories of these AI packages and disable anything containing "KSEA")

3. In the "<YOUR SIM DIRECTORY>\Addon Scenery\KSEA-T2G" folder, you will find two Taxi2Gate KSEA folders; "KSEA" and "KSEA-TERRAIN". Create a third called "KSEA-MESH", then inside that new folder, create a folder called "Scenery".

4. Open the "<YOUR SIM DIRECTORY>\Addon Scenery\KSEA-T2G\KSEA-TERRAIN\Scenery" folder, and cut the following file (right click and select "Cut"); KSEA-MT.bgl

5. Paste this file into your newly created "KSEA-MESH\Scenery" folder

6. In the sim, open your Scenery Library. Make sure "KSEA" is upper most and above your ORBX entries, place the "KSEA-TERRAIN" directly below the "KSEA" entry, then create a new area (call it "KSEA-MESH" or whatever you like), and move it BELOW the Orbx Entries.

7. Restart the sim, Voila :)

This process basically keeps the bulk of the KSEA files above the Orbx scenery as required, but moves the T2G KSEA mesh below the Orbx scenery, which resolves the spiking issue around PDX.

Here's some screenshots showing the results:

KPDX - No Spikes

2015-10-28_16-20-59-273.jpg

KSEA - All 4 edges, no ridges, no sunken ponds, no missing autogen

2015-10-28_16-23-51-531.jpg

2015-10-28_16-24-36-78.jpg

2015-10-28_16-25-3-14.jpg

2015-10-28_16-25-58-269.jpg

Archived