Land Where Water is Supposed to Be

gwhess

I just did a complete reinstallation of all of my ORBX products and did a test flight out of KMRY (Monterey).  When I reached the Pacific Ocean after takeoff, there was mainly land where the water should have been.  I have run the Airport Elevation Correction program, but am still having the problem.  Any solutions?

Thank you,

Gary

Did you install and run the OrbxLibs?  The AEC in Vector does not solve this problem, as you found out.  Also, if you have FTX NCA installed (I assume you do), try cycling from Global (click apply) then back to North America click apply then see how KMRY looks.  I had this happen once and these seemed to cure the problem.

Stew

I had this problem further south near Santa Barbara  where there was land where the ocean should be.  I reinstalled the latest version of FTX Vector, Libraries, and then ran the elevation tool.  That fixed it.

C.

I tried Stew's suggestion first.  When I opened FTX Central 2, I got an error message stating that, "The terrain cfg file does not contain a [landclasses] section.  Please make sure you have the latest Orbx LIbraries installed."  I had previously installed the latest libraries, but downloaded them again in case there was something wrong with the previous download.  Still getting the same error message.

Try this:

1. Go to your ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_CVX\scenery folder, and find the file named 1619_WTR_Waterbodies.OFF

2. Rename this file to 1619_WTR_Waterbodies.bgl

Fly safe

Thanks, Mokeiko, but that file already has the .bgl extension.

I decided to look at my Orbx folders and noticed that the Global folder only has a sub-folder for Global Airports.  The folders for all the other regions contain more sub-folders.  I re-downloaded FTX Global Base and installed it again, but still only the sub-folder for airports, and I still get the same error message regarding the missing terrain files.  Very frustrating. 

Gary

I tried Stew's suggestion first.  When I opened FTX Central 2, I got an error message stating that, "The terrain cfg file does not contain a [landclasses] section.  Please make sure you have the latest Orbx LIbraries installed."  I had previously installed the latest libraries, but downloaded them again in case there was something wrong with the previous download.  Still getting the same error message.

Yeah, there's an easy solution to this missing [Landclasses] section error, but I forget what it is.  Maybe a search for "missing Landclasses" will yield a result....?

Stew

Found it:  Here's Holger's solution:  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/79004-resolving-rapid-ground-texture-morphing/

I tried Holger's solution, but I still get the missing terrain error message.  Am I correct when I say the the Global Base folder should have more than just an Airport folder in it?

Gary

Gary,  I have two:  FTX_FTXG_Airports and FTX_AA_CNK4.  Obviously, the latter is a Global airport inserted by that airport's installer and shouldn't have anything to do with your problem.

Stew

Hi Holger,

After reading your post, I went back and reread your instructions for fixing the corrupt terrain.cfg file and realized I made a mistake.  I tried it again and that fixed the error message, and Monterey Bay again has water in it instead of dirt!  Thank you to everyone who helped me with this problem.  I love this scenery!

Gary

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem, read this thread and after unsuccesful attempts decided to de-install and then reinstall my Northern California scenery.

Since then, however, I cannot even load the airports KMRY and also KTVL any more!!!!

FSX stops with around 40% CPU usage for a looong time and at 37% "loading terrain data" ....

I hope that someone has a solution to this VERY annoying problem.

Thank you

Juergen

This is to let you all know that I have the Pacific Ocean again filled with water in Monterey Bay....

But I still have the extremely long loading times at 35%-37% for the terrain. So, in order to "cheat" my way to Monterey I set up my usual C172 at ELLX and slewed and/or moved the plane over the map to the West coast in increments, i.e. from ELLX to KBOS, then KDEN, then KPDX, then KTVL and finally to KMRY.

Each step took between 2 and 4 minutes to load the new scenery with a stop of 70 to 130 seconds when 35, 36, or 37 percent were loaded. Then another slow down at around 70% for autogen to load and then slow and steady up to 100%.

This seems to have something to do with the FTX files though. When I set all FTX sceneries to "ACTIVE=FALSE", the loading proceeds with no particular interruptions in about 1 minute. With the FTX sceneries set to "ACTIVE=TRUE" the loading is as described above, sometimes I just killed FSX after 5-8 minutes or so.

When this happens, the CPU shows around 40% use by FSX and the memory usage hovers around 700-800MB.

When I slowly changed the locations in steps, the CPU usage was about the same, but the memory usage was around 1600MB.

I hope that someone has seen this behavior before and can give me some hints on what to look for in order to find a solution.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Cheers Juergen

Update:

I have now edited my scenery.cfg file in several steps starting with a "virgin" version as it was created by the FSX installation program with 120 layers.

I then added in steps of 10 layers more and more sceneries taken from my problematic "full" cfg file.

With that procedure I was able to identify two culprits which blocked scenery loading (terrain loading actually) at 37% for more than 30 minutes...

It was a summer and a winter set of a Swiss helicopter scenery I had installed together with the Lama X helos....

Now with a load of FTX sceneries installed and active I still have a stop in the loading process at 37% (sometimes at 33%, e.g. when loading KMRY) for about 2 1/2 minutes, but then it continues and the sim is usabel again after about 4 or max 5 minutes total waiting time.

I guess I´ll have to live with that unless I deactivate a few ORBX sceneries, namely NCA in particular, but also European airports.

Should someone have similar findings or completely different ones I would be grateful to read about them here.

Thank you for your patience and I hope that my ramblings can be of use to some other users now or in the future.

Cheers Juergen

Archived