Why can't I install PilotsFSG2010FTX with P3Dv3?

I am being asked for space on C:\ when I have specified D:\

I have:

• downloaded PILOTsFSG2010FTX_P3Dv3.zip from FSS and unzipped it as PILOTsFSG2010FTX.exe
  • copied the unzipped file to E:\Downloads\
  • executed the new PILOTsFSG2010FTX.exe
  • received the Welcome window
  • received the wrapper window
  • selected to install as Prepar3Dv3
  • received the 'running installer' window
  • received the 'do not click Finish on this wrapper until the product installer has completed'
  • received the request to check for online updates and answered 'No'
  • selected 'All continents' as the product version
  • specified D:\ as the installation drive
  • accepted  the confirmation request
  • received the message 'Not all installation files could be found! Please make sure you have at least 30GB free hard drive space on your C:\!'
  • wrapper finishes without installation

Questions

1. why am I asked about C:\ when I have specified D:\ ?
  2. my C:\ currently has 425GB free, and my D:\ has 837MB free, so why am I asked for at least 30GB?
  3. what am I doing wrong?

Help will be much appreciated.

The unwrapper puts files into the Windows temp file which is by default

on your C drive.

You might try using the Windows File Explorer Disk Clean up function,

making sure that the Temporary files box is ticked.

I assume that your D drive has 837GB free and not 837MB.

Hi Richard,

it would be worth a try:

Please copy the unzipped Global 2010 folder with all files contained in the Windows Temp folder C:\Windows\Temp and run the installer.

If that does not work, you can delete them from the Temp folder again. Then we have to find another solution.

Hi Richard,

You need to extract your original complete install multi-part zip file to a temporary folder as well as the new PILOTsFSG2010FTX_P3Dv3.zip file. If you only have the .zip and .z01-5 files in the folder it wont work, because those files are still zipped up.

EDIT: For clarity, the multi-part zip file (.zip and .z01-5) and the new PILOTsFSG2010FTX_P3Dv3.zip need to be extracted into the same folder.

Hi Adrian,

Many thanks for your guidance.

I had forgotten that .z01 etc file types denote a multi-part zip set. Perhaps installation instructions could be improved by stating something like:

'Extract the original multi-part zip set (i.e. the .zip file and its .z01 through .z05 files) using software such as WinZip (or another product capable of unzipping a multi-part set) and then overwriting the original PILOTsFSG2010FTX.exe with the new version where required.'

Is this correct and useful?

Cheers, Richard

Hi ,

Have just received an email that the installer for v3 is required w/o the need to download the 29GB as I have them already. Clicked on the link but couldn't find it , only the full set 3 parts were there .

Can you please provide me with the link to this file.

Thanks

Mike on your download page at FSS,  you should see this- (above the six zip file for a full install )

FSX, P3Dv1.4, P3Dv2.5, P3Dv3 Wrapper Only - Download this ONLY if you still have a previous copy of the Complete Installation fileset downloaded to your computer. Extract the files into the same folder where the complete installation files have been extracted and double click the PILOTsFSG2010FTX.exe file to start the wrapper.=

• Pilots FSG 2010FTX.zip
  • File size: 31,232,363 bytes
    MD5: 81b1d1c4b33f9c0f61ed8239c5952faa

Mike on your download page at FSS,  you should see this- (above the six zip file for a full install )

FSX, P3Dv1.4, P3Dv2.5, P3Dv3 Wrapper Only - Download this ONLY if you still have a previous copy of the Complete Installation fileset downloaded to your computer. Extract the files into the same folder where the complete installation files have been extracted and double click the PILOTsFSG2010FTX.exe file to start the wrapper.=

• Pilots FSG 2010FTX.zip
  • File size: 31,232,363 bytes

MD5: 81b1d1c4b33f9c0f61ed8239c5952faa

Thank you very much Penzoil.  This is exactly the information I was looking for.  It meant the difference between downloading a single 30 Mb file vs. the entire 23 Gb package I already had saved on my computer.  I downloaded the entire 23 Gb package about 2 or 3 months ago and it worked fine with the new installer for P3Dv3.  All I had to do was delete the original installer file from my previous download and replace it with the new P3Dv3 installer.  It seemed to work flawlessly.

Thanks Again, TD

• 2 weeks later...

Question,

I own the 2010mesh on DVD and there is no patch yet to make it compatible with Version 3. but is this just a patch to find the installation folder or are there changes, as if there are no changes then would it not be possible to simply add to already existing FSGx2010 subfolders ie AFR, ANT etc etc which i have on my F drive into the Scenery of Prepar version 3? especially as this folder already exists outside of my current Prepar 2.4 folder?

Tks

Peter

Archived