SSDHD Hybrid question.

Jon Clarke

With P3dv3 suggesting where possible to use addons outside of the P3D directory (except ORBX & possibly others) I want to get another large capacity (1TB) drive. I was looking at SSD and then saw the huge price difference offered by the Hybrid SSD.

Does anyone use a hybrid here to install addons to and use them in the sim directly to load scenery?

I am wanting some info on performance versus a regular HDD. I know they are faster than HDD and slower than SSD but if someone would describe their benefit to me and how it operates in the scenario I gave above, i would appreciate it. Thanks.

Installing addons outside of the P3D core folder is indeed a LM recommendation that several developpers have already said, they can't and won't follow : OrbX and A2A for instance.  I have 2 SSD and a regular hardisk for storage, so I can't comment further.

Don't. Its not worth it for a hybrid, just get several smaller SSD's if need be, and edit the scenery.cfg appropriately. Trust me, the performance and loading improvements of a pure SSD are not worth messing around with hybrid or traditional mechanical drives. Sure, use a mech or hybrid for general data storage, but not for P3D elements.

EDIT to more accurately answer your question - Hybrid drives use the SSD part as a cache of recently accessed data. This may be OK if you only fly around certain areas regularly, but if you hop about all over the world, the cache will be next to meaningless.

Thanks for your opinions.

Nick: Yes I do have a 1TB SSD used for P3D.  My 512Gb SSD is now broken, so i have lost that capacity. I have just bought a 1TB hybrid and will see how it performs with just photoscenery (high volume GB wise) and storage. My storage HDD (1TB) is on it's last legs so i need another storage drive before it dies. It is over 7 years old and according to S.M.A.R.T data is only 30% healthy. I do not want to end up losing all the data. The same problem also exists with my 500GB HDD which currently has some addons on it.

I need to alter my specs in my Signature soon !!

Archived