FSX Boxed/FSX-SE Dual installer problem?

I have been running FSX Boxed and the FSX Steam Edition in parallel for some time now. Not wanting to create issues I wasn't confident with fixing, I never attempted to use FTX products with FSX-SE. Instead, I only ever installed the MegaSceneryEarth photo real titles, and even then by simply adding them manually.

So, when it was announced that FTX Global could now be installed into parallel FSX\FSX-SE natively, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have FSX Boxed as a GA\OrbX regions only sim, and FSX-SE as a 'heavy Iron' platform. The photo scenery has now been relegated to P3D V1:4 (Yes, 1:4) :D

I deleted the scenery library entries for MSE and confirmed I had a 'clean' scenery cfg in Program Data FSX-SE.

The new Global installer was downloaded from FSS (eventually), extracted and executed. When the option was given for FSX and FSX-SE in parallel installs, it was checked, and left to do its thing, (after a cursory glance to make sure the files were indeed being directed to the Steam installation).

Once finished, I started FSX-SE and was met with a host of warnings alerting me to the fact I had numerous missing entries in FSX-SE, such as 'Old Warden' and Scotland. In fact, the number of error windows resembled a pack of playing cards, because unbeknown to me at the time, the FTX Global installer had added all of my (not insubstantial) collection of FSX sceneries to the FSX-SE scenery cfg in Program Data!

I deleted all but the ones relvant to the actual FTX Global install (global base, EU landclass 1 and NA landclass 1.

In anticipation of adding the EU Landclass areas, I then downloaded the FTX updated library, and ran that. The reason being, it was suggested in a topic that certain landclass tiles call upon library objects, so better safe than sorry, right?

Wrong.

Even though the library installer had the option for dual installation FSX, it too came up with errors regarding the dreaded Object Flow DLL, not only in FSX-SE but in FSX boxed as well. I ran the object flow update installer and the problem appeared to rectify itself, in that the warnings ceased.

Checking the entries in the dll folder, I saw that the FSX-SE object flow path was C:FSX and not C:FSX-SE. Checking the paths in other XML documents such as FTX settings (OrbX scripts) it was apparent that the FSX-SE registry path had an incorrect reading (pointing to FSX, not FSX-SE), so a bit of a mess.

Add to that, the autogen was far too sparce within FSX-SE relative to the settings (no trees and only a few buildings with autogen slider set to dense) so I decided to bail out before things became too complicated. In effect, I have now uninstalled FSX-SE.

Before I reinstall, what should I check for in the registry to avoid a repeat of the aforementioned issues? Nothing else I've installed into FSX-SE ranging from the simple to the complex has ever created a problem or thrown up a warning, so could it be an installer issue? I realise nothing to that effect has been reported, but you can understand my reluctance to attempt a further FTX install at this moment in time? :

Hello,

As I understand it, it is only the installers that are fully compatible with a dual installation.

I think you you would be well advised to return to your original configuration for now

until it is officially announced, if it ever will be, that the two will run together, both with

all FTX products installed.

Thanks Nick.

Unfortunately, my understanding of the situation isn't much clearer. That's not YOUR fault as I'm sure your explanation was adequately concise...just not for THIS 54 year old technophobe >:D

If I run what I THINK you said by you, perhaps you could just confirm (or otherwise)?

As I have FTX Global and EU Landclass already installed into FSX (boxed) via the OLDER installers, attempting to install FTX Global and EU Landclass into FSX-SE with the NEW 'parallel install' compatible installers will have caused my issue?

Another way of looking at it maybe: If I installed FSX and FSX-SE from scratch, I could install FTX Global and EU Landclass into BOTH, using the updated installers, but if I were then to install the FTX regions/FTX Vector into FSX (boxed), using the current installers, It would create problems were I to later attempt to install, say Vectors into FSX-SE with a future upgraded installer?

Whew, I'm thinking your advice to revert to the MSE configuration is sound ^-^ .

Cheers, Mike.

In a nutshell, the only thing that is fully compatible with a dual install of FSX and FSX-SE

is the installer.

The installer will put the files into the right place in both FSX and FSX Steam.

However, at the moment, that's it.

My advice would be to wait and see if there is further development to enable a full dual installation

of all the products.

The official line is that this configuration is not supported and that has not yet been amended.

Your previous configuration, using FSX Steam for non-FTX products is what I would recommend

you return to.

I think the penny has finally dropped. ^-^

I can install FTX Global into FSX-SE (using the new installer) even though I have the CD Edition of FSX installed on my system, but I cannot have FTX Global installed into FSX and FSX-SE both at the same time?(which of course is what I was attempting to do).

That's a shame, because in FSX-SE I really only needed FTX Global installed. Anyway, thanks for your input. At least I'll know not to mess about with the installers again! >:D

No, you can have Global and OpenLC Europe installed at the same time.

The installers work exactly as they should.

In your case it seems that FTX Central didn't write the correct entries into

the scenery.cfg file.

If this happens again, you can do this manually.

I apologise Nick.

Its just that your suggestion I return FSX-SE to its original configuration (MegaSceneryEarth) threw me somewhat, as it sounded (to me) that installing FTX Global into both sims wasn't a supported option.

Actually, lets start again. I do feel slightly embarrassed at not being able to grasp this as easily as most, so thanks for your patience!

Now, to quote your last post. "You can have Global and OpenLC Europe installed at the same time". I take that to mean installed into FSX and FSX-SE at the same time, which is of course great news for me, as that's exactly what I want. In fact its ALL I want.

So, "FTX Central didn't write the correct entries into the scenery.cfg file".

It kinda did, but it also wrote all of the entries from the FSX scenery.cfg into the FSX-SE cfg. I manually deleted the ones not relevant, leaving just the EU LC 1 and NA LC 1 entries, as well as a LC Base entry (I think). The bigger 'OUCH' was of course realising that most of the autogen was missing which is why I uninstalled FSX-SE and have now reinstalled it, so I could start with a blank canvas.

I'll give it a day or two and then try again. I will quickly add that at no time did FTX Central recognise my FSX-SE install. It opened during the install of Global, but I simply closed it as directed. Once global had installed, I opened FTX Central and it was only showing the options for FSX and P3D. Maybe that in itself points to a problem?

Anyway, I've taken up enough of your time for now Nick. I'll attempt to install Global again, and if those same issues crop up again I'll leave FSX-SE alone and hopefully we can troubleshoot it from there.

Unfortunately, the problem persists.

This is what I did.

1. Reinstalled FSX-SE. This time to the default location in case my previous 'custom' location was causing the issue.

2. Checked the integrity of the windows registry paths.

3. Ran FSX-SE to ensure all was working, then left well alone! In effect, as virgin as virginal gets.

4. Downloaded FTX Global in case the previous download was corrupt. Download manager used (again).

5. Extracted.

6. Ran as Administrator.

7. Selected FSX-SE in parallel with FSX from the dropdown menu.

8. Once FTX Global had installed, ran FSX-SE.

9. Screen prompt to run objectflow.dll.   Accepted.

10. Screen prompt to 'trust' objectflow. Accepted.

11. Selected a flight from default Luton in default trike. Autogen slider set to very dense, but very very few trees, ans whilst there were SOME buildings, it certainly wasn't right.

12. Checked FTXsettings XML in OrbX scripts. Path was HKLM Dovetail games-FSX

13. Checked scenery.cfg in program data. FSX-SE. Entries looked correct.

14. Checked DLL in AppData roaming FSX-SE. Entry for objectflow pointing at FSX (not FSX-SE).

15. Left 'as is'.

16. Ran latest library in case it would align everything correctly.

17. Ran FSX-SE. Numerous warnings re missing areas.

18. Checked scenery.cfg in Programme data. All entries had been copied from FSX scenery.cfg again.

19. Checked FTXsettings XML in OrbX scripts folder. Path now changed to C:FSX

20. Started FSX-SE. Sparse autogen with slider to right.

21. Had some wine.

22. Wondered if selecting HD trees in FSX was the reason behind the missing trees in FSX-SE given the cross corruption of settings XML?

23. Checked FTX Central 2. No reference to FSX-SE or option to select it.

24. Decided to let Nick sort it out. >:D

Morning Nick.

No, that didn't work I'm afraid. The FTX Central 2 did reinstall of course, but its still only recognising the original FSX install as well as P3D V1:4. Its always shown P3D V1:4 but its never had OrbX sceneries installed into it, so strange why its not picking up on FSX-SE?

Oh well, onwards and upwards as they say. ^-^

I changed the path in the FTXSettings.xml to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX...Does that look right to you? (It was originally pointing to HKLM\software\Microsoft Games\FSX\10)

It hasn't made any difference I'll quickly add : ..The reg key is actually within the Wow6432Node folder, but I assume that gets ignored when an installer is searching for a path?

Mlke -

For what it's worth, I'm have the same, or a very similar, problem. I have a parallel install of both the MS and SE versions with all my ORBX sceneries installed into both. No matter what I do,  FTXCentral simply won't recognize the FSX SE install. I can switch regions with FSX MS but FSX SE is stuck on North America (who knows why it picked NA.....).  I've spent more time on this problem than I probably should have but I've decided to keep going. If I find a solution I'll be sure to post it.

Doug

That'll be good Doug.

I'm off to the North Yorkshire Moors for a few days (very similar landscape and climate to Florida) >:D . I WAS going to uninstall FSX-SE and FSX so when I returned on Monday I could start with a blank canvas. BUT, if you are prepared to troubleshoot the problem, I'll leave both sims installed and hope you find a solution in the meantime.

I have to say, I've only tried FTX Global and Libraries with the approved installers so far. I would have added EU Landclass (again, with the new installer) and then gone on to purchase the NA Landclasses (both the available and forthcoming one), but I ground to a halt :-[.

My plan (seeing as the approved method didn't work) was to use the OLDER installers for Global and Libraries using the registry hack, so at least I'd have FTX Central 2 for FSX and a separate (older version) FTX central for FSX-SE (maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense?)

I've double checked, and triple checked my windows registry against the available information out there, and I can only conclude that my reg paths for FSX-SE (as well as FSX) are all present and correct. I'm assuming the installers look for the entry in HK 'Local Machine', but even running everything in Administrator mode (I always do anyway) doesn't cut it  :-[ .

Anyway, good luck with your endeavours! ^-^

• 2 weeks later...

Archived