Question help on Toronto

walterg74

Hi guys, this is not really support, as it's not an issue with the product, but I thought it was the more adequate place, if not please feel free to move it.

Anyway, I wanted to try out Toronto City Center, and I have what I would say is Default FSX Scenery, since my products don't really cover this area:

FTX Global (does but just textures)

UTX USA (so just USA(

Now the thing is it looks REALLY ugly, buildings seem to float etc, take a look please at this screenshot and look at the roads and buildings by the CN Tower:

2015-09-01_00001.jpg

So two questions for you:

1) Does this look "normal" or an issue with my settings? Maybe mesh??  I have FS Global Ultimate mesh and setting is set to the highest in FSX

2) Can somebody please upload a screenshot of this with Vector + the new Open LC NA Canada/Alaska? I think it may be time to spend some $$$...  :D

Thanks!!!

Mesh should set at 5m in FSX and not at the highest setting....

Hi Doogles, thanks for your input! However:

1) Tried changing it up to 10 meters (trying out 2 and 5 also) makes no difference... Stadium in particular still "floats"....

2) I am using FS Global Ultimate Mesh, which has 2m resolution for NA (so it says) so 5m does not sound right...  (and why did they even put 1m if you shouldn't use it?)

Cheers!

Edit: Also with the particularly ugly roads and tiles, thought maybe it was because I had still left Europ active in FTX Central, howeve just switched to Global and no visible difference...

Hi Doogles, thanks for your input! However:

1) Tried changing it up to 10 meters (trying out 2 and 5 also) makes no difference... Stadium in particular still "floats"....

2) I am using FS Global Ultimate Mesh, which has 2m resolution for NA (so it says) so 5m does not sound right...  (and why did they even put 1m if you shouldn't use it?)

Cheers!

Edit: Also with the particularly ugly roads and tiles, thought maybe it was because I had still left Europ active in FTX Central, howeve just switched to Global and no visible difference...

Hi Walter

Your CYYZ downtown looks normal....5m is an overall recommended setting for most areas... :)  I find that the airports look great but the downtown main streets....not so great.....good thing its a flight simulator and not a downtown parade simulator eh? lol :)

Cheers

Doug

Hi Walter

Your CYYZ downtown looks normal....5m is an overall recommended setting for most areas... :)  I find that the airports look great but the downtown main streets....not so great.....good thing its a flight simulator and not a downtown parade simulator eh? lol :)

Cheers

Doug

Ha! Yes, of course :)

Still, scenery prettiness aside... Are you *sure* that looks right?  The Jays' Stadium balancing on the point of a hill like that and roads by it climbing up another lttle hill...? :S

Ha! Yes, of course :)

Still, scenery prettiness aside... Are you *sure* that looks right?  The Jays' Stadium balancing on the point of a hill like that and roads by it climbing up another lttle hill...? :S

Mine looks the same....so.....I guess it's as good as it's going to get, and I have gone through many stages of FSX build over the years and CYYZ has always looked like that....I have also gone there often in FSX as my home town St.Catherines/Niagara is right across on the south side of the lake. :)

Hopefully someone else will chime in and teach us different....

I just flew into Toronto this afternoon, and it didn't look like that, the buildings as far as I could tell weren't floating.  Landed downtown at cytz and the only thing I noticed was the water encroaching onto the land next to the runways.  Didn't matter if I had Global selected or North America.  Go figure...

Stew

To add: That would be runway 26, btw.  Just went there again and none of those buildings are floating, that I could see from the airport anyway.

I just flew into Toronto this afternoon, and it didn't look like that, the buildings as far as I could tell weren't floating.  Landed downtown at cytz and the only thing I noticed was the water encroaching onto the land next to the runways.  Didn't matter if I had Global selected or North America.  Go figure...

Stew

To add: That would be runway 26, btw.  Just went there again and none of those buildings are floating, that I could see from the airport anyway.

Hmm this gets weirder... What addon scenery do you have that relates to the area?

FTX Open LC NA Alaska/Canada.  I'm touring all the NA Freeware airports in Canada with the new Open LC installed.  Very impressive and no problems with terrain, etc. so far.

Stew

Ah no wonder! We just have default showing that mess :P

Do you also have ftx global and vector or just the LC product? Would you mind sharing a screenshot or two of this area?

Ah no wonder! We just have default showing that mess :P

Do you also have ftx global and vector or just the LC product? Would you mind sharing a screenshot or two of this area?

Sure, both Global and Vector.  I've never posted screenshots here, but I can give it try later.

Also, I wonder if you're using default mesh or something else?

Stew

Sure, both Global and Vector.  I've never posted screenshots here, but I can give it try later.

Stew

It's easy but you can't upload directly here, you have to ise an image site (best for this for me is fsfiles) and then the "inline bbc code" they give you is what you paste here in the post.

Like I mentioned above, I am using FS Global Ultimate for mesh :)

Stew

Stew

Here is how to post a screenshot....I would also very much like to see what your downtown Toronto looks like :):)

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers

Doug

Hi Walterg

From what I remember, I always saw this Toronto visual in FSX. Complementing the beautiful views from Vlad, see a screenshot for comparison with your:

2015-9-3_13-4-5-169TorontoFSX.jpg

However, I must warn (could be wrong) this mixture of FTX Global and UTX always gives problems: UTX despite being similar to Vector, back with its some textures, mainly in parks, piers, docks, railways etc.

I don't know if it's your case.

Cheers,

Voyager

For whatever's worth, it's been posted already, at least some... 

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100951-open-lc-na-alaska-southern-ontario/

Don't recall anything "floating" though! :)

Thanks Vlad, however:

1) that's not exactly what I wanted, as I'm asking for the specific area if the city center airpot, aroubd the CN Tower

2) we *don't* have the OpenLC product... Ours is just default, which is why I asked this to see (besides of course LC/vector being nicer) if it was my setup that had an issue, or if it's just default that's f**ked up that way with floating buildings, and asking for the OLC screenshots so that if defaukt sucks but OLC is nice, will probably just buy it..

Stew

Here is how to post a screenshot....I would also very much like to see what your downtown Toronto looks like :):)

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers

Doug

Will do, Doug.  But I have to change computers first!  I've read JayKae's how-to and will give it a try--doesn't look difficult. 

Stew

Hi Walterg

From what I remember, I always saw this Toronto visual in FSX. Complementing the beautiful views from Vlad, see a screenshot for comparison with your:

However, I must warn (could be wrong) this mixture of FTX Global and UTX always gives problems: UTX despite being similar to Vector, back with its some textures, mainly in parks, piers, docks, railways etc.

Cheers,

Voyager

Thanks! That looks more like it!

I will take a look but utx should not have any issues but mainly because I only have US and Euriooe, not Canada, so in this area neither should come into play.

Wonder if it's an elevation/mesh issue...

Walter, Do you think Voyager's comments about UTX and FTX Global might be relevant?

Stew

I will try when I get home in a couple of hours to disable utx and check, but there shouldn't be any problem as the UTX product is USA, doesn't cover Canada :S

Its a 90% chance its the mesh and nothing else.

These kinds of problems are typical of terrain mesh with very high resolutions along with airports on plateaus etc.

Having mesh set to 5m max is the best bet but even then, mesh at 9m resolution can cause issues like this.

IMHO after many years with FS series, mesh with higher resolution than 38m (19m in some cases) is not worth the problems it brings.

The only exception I have is Orbx regions and airports which come with mesh specifically tailored to the package.

These kinds of problems are typical of terrain mesh with very high resolutions along with airports on plateaus etc.

Having mesh set to 5m max is the best bet but even then, mesh at 9m resolution can cause issues like this.

IMHO after many years with FS series, mesh with higher resolution than 38m (19m in some cases) is not worth the problems it brings.

The only exception I have is Orbx regions and airports which come with mesh specifically tailored to the package.

Hi, Glenn.  I'm using Pilot's FS Global Ultimate The Americas and don't see many problems, especially not here at Toronto.

Stew

But the stadium is clearly floating when you get closer.  I can't see that the other buildings are floating, however.  From a distance the perspective with the stadium is deceiving.  Maybe that large building on the right is floating, but I can't say for sure.

closerlookatstadium.jpg

Hi Walterg

Cheers,

Voyager

Go down lower and you'll see that the stadium is indeed floating.

Stew

Go down lower and you'll see that the stadium is indeed floating.

Stew

It's real and I already knew. These structures in some cities are products of the team that created FSX.

See that even P3D inherited. Here we have the same FSX structures in P3D.

2015-9-3_17-58-33-87TorontoP3D.jpg

So a Toronto further elaborated only with a new add on!

Cheers,
Voyager

I will give this a shot, but doesn-t seem logical at all... better mesh should mean more precision, and while there could be little variances, it can be the case that there's a small hill there... :)

I guess that is the case... I'm gonna turn all that stuff of to check but just for kicks, as I'm not gonna use the sim without all of it just because of this... I think there are at least some freeware stuff to improve the area.

I will give this a shot, but doesn-t seem logical at all... better mesh should mean more precision, and while there could be little variances, it can be the case that there's a small hill there... :)I guess that is the case... I'm gonna turn all that stuff of to check but just for kicks, as I'm not gonna use the sim without all of it just because of this... I think there are at least some freeware stuff to improve the area.

p

Why not logical?

Better mesh means everything else has to fit in with the better mesh. Take airports for example. The plateau problem becomes more obvious with the higher the resolution of the mesh.

p

Why not logical?

Better mesh means everything else has to fit in with the better mesh. Take airports for example. The plateau problem becomes more obvious with the higher the resolution of the mesh.

Well, not logical because better mesh is also more precise, and if that area is not a hill, there shouldn't be one... :)

Sure there can be tiny bumps that may cause it not to be perfectly flat, but not the exageration seen in the screenshots.

I will give this a shot, but doesn-t seem logical at all... better mesh should mean more precision, and while there could be little variances, it can be the case that there's a small hill there... :)

I guess that is the case... I'm gonna turn all that stuff of to check but just for kicks, as I'm not gonna use the sim without all of it just because of this... I think there are at least some freeware stuff to improve the area.

Walter, If you find something, let us know.  Although, as I said before, this isn't a game breaker for me.  I landed at the downtown airport and didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.  I was concentrating on the water encroaching onto the land surrounding the threshold to runway 26.

Stew

Ok, so to answer this...

Tried playing around with the resolution settings for the mesh, setting it higher (slider to the left), nothing, still mini-hills, elevated, floating stadium...

De-activated the mesh, even with sliders full right, it is now flat...

2015-09-04_00002.jpg

2015-09-04_00003.jpg

2015-09-04_00004.jpg

SO much for that...

Archived