KJAC and other triple installers

Griphos

Most new triple installers don't seem to change much to the FSX install. This one seems to have a number of updates. My question is if I don't need the triple installer, since I'm still just using FSX, do I need to download the huge file again from FSS or will the updates to FSX be available through a smaller update file and notification provided in FTX Central?

It Is onerous to have to download the whole scenery package again just to update the Objectflow.dll or the global lighting for my FSX install, so I'm wondering if FTX Central,updates are also provided when these changes are made and triple installers offered.

G'day Griphos, 

At this point we don't have any intention to make a separate update solely for FSX users I'm sorry (either via FSS or FTX-C) - I realise it is an inconvenience to re-download from your FSS account again, however for a myriad of logistical reasons it adds a disproportionately large extra workload to make, test and transfer the different versions. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thanks for the quick reply, but I have to say that's not very good customer service.  Many of us have limited or slow internet (I have slow).  KJAC is a 5gb download.  I doubt the updates take up a fraction of that size.  That's a four hour download for me, during which time I can't use the internet for anything else.  

Not all the airports are that size, of course.  But for these very large files, a separate and smaller update that fixes things that need to be fixed seems quite appropriate, even if it adds to your workload.  Otherwise, you pass that workload onto us.  

G'day Griphos, 

I'm sorry that you feel that way. It's highly disappointing to hear that you find this free upgrade "poor customer service" given the enormous amount of (unpaid) time and effort that have gone into getting this release ready for you all. There are many people on the team that have voluntarily put in a huge amount of time to get this project ready for release, and this is only one of dozens of similar service packs the guys have been working on over recent months. I fully understand that it is frustrating for you if you have slower download speeds, but unfortunately we're not a big team and our resources are limited, and we do try our best with the (limited) time we have to make these free service packs as easy as possible for the absolute majority of you to get your hands on. If you're getting decent performance and not experiencing any problems with KJAC v1.0, then by all means hold off downloading until a time that suits your situation better - when I have massive data to download without time constraints, I usually just leave my computer running overnight with Getright nursing the downloads for me. 

Sorry we couldn't be of more help. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Regardless of the huge DL (which I expected anyway) Thank you Jarrad and the team for this great improvement to my Prepar3d V2.5 sim.

KJAC was one of the very few areas that was not able to be run on my system, as the original KJAC caused ground texture problems, and now I have a magical view of the Tetons and a smooth sweet ride to the North..Thanks again.. Teecee.

Jarrad, I am sorry you fill that way but it looks like some major improvements for FSX and I think this should warrant a patch.

FSX Only

- New runway/taxiway lighting system for FPS benefits and visual consistency on all systems - this is the same style I've been using on all my recent projects and triple installers.

- Replace legacy agn lighting with new style

- Fix airport fences issue at night in DX10 mode

- Rationalised Objectflow to use consolidated module 

- Update taxiway textures (to remove texture tessellation issue)

- Sitting man reading paper out front of terminal now has something to sit on

- Updated user guide

I can understand if there are minor graphical improvements but it looks like there are several fixes.  Not all of us have the resources for P3D, or purchased this as a DVD from other retailers, etc.   Are you saying there are not going to be any patches for FSX only?  How is it decided that there will be a patch verses a full download or the having to purchase the cross grade license.  Sorry about venting but it just seems like there are more FSX fixes than usual for this one.

Mike

I am not saying that this is not outstanding customer service, it is, I know a lot of work is required.   I am just saying that if other than some minor tweaks to the FSX version which I can understand not needing a regular patch but this product has several updates.   I purchased this on a DVD from PC Aviator, so I am forced to buy a cross grade license to get these fixes for FSX.  I am not planning to purchase P3D for some time.  In the end it is not that big of deal, I am happy with my current Jackson Hole and can probably live with the current version.

Mike

Not to make this topic any longer but I am also truely happy with all the efforts the ORBX team and in this case Jarrad, in particular, has put and is putting into all the updates to triple installers. This is excellent customer service at the very best and is one of the reasons why ORBX is just the best out there for me in terms of terrains and airport development. In addition, we have loads of free airports with Global but also with the Regions. Great stuff!

I am of course also very happy with my internet provider for having a fast line but with a slow line I would have no hesitation to download over night and then wake up next morning to yet a great new addition to the flight-simulation world. Thank you very much Jarrad for all your hard work in getting this update completed which I realize has been a harder-than-normal task given the issues with altitude for P3D2. I'd buy you a drink if only I could  :smile:

G'day Mike,

As I was alluding to earlier, the biggest hurdle we have with releasing several patch versions of the same product (say, KJAC Triple Installer + Standalone FSX incremental patch) is that it doubles the time and resources of the "ORBX Logistics HQ". Installers, beta testing, verification (rinse and repeat for several internal beta versions), prep for release, etc would be all doubled - which at the end of the day would mean that we wouldn't be able to get these updates (both FSX upgrades and P3D2 native versions) out to you at the same rate that we have been - don't forget, there have been over 65 Triple Installer updates in the last 18 months - the absolute majority of which include new tech to FSX versions which go above and beyond their original product scopes.

In the case of the FSX version of KJAC v1.1, of the 1182 files in the core KJAC structure, 901 have been updated since the original release. So irrespective of patch size, the fact that so many core files were updated would have necessitated a release via FSS regardless - necessitating a cross-license for those who wished to update from their DVD copies. Mike - if you're happy with your current version of KJAC, then by all means don't consider this update a must-have - the fixes are very minor, and most of the content is new ORBX tech we've implemented since the original 2012 release.

So, I really hope that this gives a little bit of perspective as to the rhyme and reasons for our triple installers. For you guys, the only price you need to pay for a tech-updated FSX KJAC v1.1 is the time it takes you to download your copy from the Flightsimstore (or a couple of bucks if you purchased it on DVD elsewhere) - and if this isn't a possibility for you due to bandwidth speeds/quotas etc, please enjoy the original release of the product :)

Cheers :)

Jarrad

Thanks for the explanation and I will not be commenting about this anymore here.  Luckily all products moving forward are only distributed by FSS so this will not be an issue for my future purchases.

Mike

Thanks again for the prompt replies, and the more detailed information.  If the new version includes so many updated files as to make a FTX-C standalone update close to the same size, then, of course, doing it as one package makes the most sense both for your team and for the customer.  I was operating under the impression that the changes to FSX were a smaller portion of the update, and that the large d/l was primarily to get the triple installer feature.  So, my assumptions proved to be wrong.

I've downloaded today, and look forward to trying out the changes.  

I am curious as to why some updates seem to happen through FTX-C (seems there are often updates available when I run it), and some are available only as d/l from original retail source.  I guess it may have something to do with the size.  

Archived