(THE) Hybrid Question

Gauthier Malou

For those that may not have any full FTX Regions installed then it wouldn't be necessary to have the hybrid box ticked.

However if you own FTX Regions and choose to fly to an area that isn't covered by an FTX Region then ticking the hybrid box is advisable.

Jas

Hi ,

i'm sorry, i think this question has been asked hundreds of times, but i did not see any answer that fits my wonder ;

Why would i uncheck the Hybrid Box ?

Download the guide, available HERE:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

It has an entire section about Hybrid mode, what it's for, and when to use it :)

Hi ,

i'm sorry, i think this question has been asked hundreds of times, but i did not see any answer that fits my wonder ;

Why would i uncheck the Hybrid Box ?

Hybrid mode is a compromise.  You lose some region specific textures in Orbx regions, but don't have to switch FTX Central between regions.

I uncheck Hybrid when I intend to fly within my NA, Oceania, or EU Orbx regions.  If part of my flight will be outside those areas, I use Hybrid mode.

I honestly find it difficult to notice a difference though. 

Regards,

Matt

Oh ok, so if i uncheck it, i can see details i don t see when i fly over a region i bought ?

I though that if i m over a region i bought, that s it, there s nothing from global anymore

True, but the world outside the full region still exists, it just doesn't look right if you set FTX Central to your full region. You can still fly out of your full region into the surrounding world, it just doesn't look as it should.

For example, lets say you fly from Seattle, in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) Full region to Denver, in the Global area (no full region).

Setting FTX Central to NORTH AMERICA will give you the best scenery while inside the PNW region. You will see the normal, full quality scenery while you are inside the PNW region. Once you leave that full region however, the rest of the world will not look entirely correct. Some textures will be wrong, among other things.

Setting FTX Central to just GLOBAL (with NO hybrid), you will disable ALL full regions. PNW in this mode does not exist and you will not see the PNW scenery at all. The entire globe is now just FTX Global scenery. 

Setting FTX Central to GLOBAL WITH hybrid mode checked means you will see the PNW full region scenery with a few very small innacuracies... roof colors will be different (and not typical of the region), and some terrain effects will be different (things like how steep a cliff should be before becoming a rock face etc), again, not 100% typical of the PNW region. However, when you fly outside the PNW region, the FTX Global scenery is active and the world looks like it should with no errors.

Pages 33 and 34 of the guide book explains this with examples... But the best way to think of it is:

Are you only flying in a full region? Then use the correct FTX Central setting.

Are you only flying outside a full region? Then set FTX Central to FTX GLOBAL and leave Hybrid Mode unchecked.

Are you flying into or out of a full region ("across the border")? Then set FTX Central to FTX GLOBAL and check the Hybrid mode box.

Hybrid mode is there simply to let you use both FTX Global and Full regions together... It's always best to use the correct setting in FTX Central to get the best out of your scenery.

[...]

Setting FTX Central to GLOBAL WITH hybrid mode checked means you will see the PNW full region scenery with a few very small innacuracies... roof colors will be different (and not typical of the region), and some terrain effects will be different (things like how steep a cliff should be before becoming a rock face etc), again, not 100% typical of the PNW region. However, when you fly outside the PNW region, the FTX Global scenery is active and the world looks like it should with no errors.

[...]

Are you only flying outside a full region? Then set FTX Central to FTX GLOBAL and leave Hybrid Mode unchecked.

I understand all you have said in your reply, Rob, thanks for explaining it patiently over and over again :)

But the one thing I did not see is: what is the benefit to uncheck the hybrid mode when flying outside a full region? I was under the impression that checking hybrid mode will only change what is in a region, but that outside the regions everything in Global stays the same, regardless if the hybrid box is checked or not.

So to me it seems best just to leave the hybrid mode box always ticked unless you want to see some specific region details in the region.

I understand all you have said in your reply, Rob, thanks for explaining it patiently over and over again :)

But the one thing I did not see is: what is the benefit to uncheck the hybrid mode when flying outside a full region? I was under the impression that checking hybrid mode will only change what is in a region, but that outside the regions everything in Global stays the same, regardless if the hybrid box is checked or not.

So to me it seems best just to leave the hybrid mode box always ticked unless you want to see some specific region details in the region.

It's essentially the same reason why selecting the appropriate FTX Central setting for a full region is best.

The sim has only a limited number of textures available for things like roof color and styles, and house frontage styles etc. It also can only handle a limited number of terrain "rules", so setting a region forces the sim to use a highly localized set of textures and terrain rules, making that locality look far more realistic.

FTX Global without hybrid is the same deal, but this time the terrain rules and textures are designed to be a "best fit" for worldwide coverage, but optimized for FTX Global areas.

Hybrid mode blends the two... so the limited texture and terrain rules resources have to be shared. This leads to a very slight reduction in overall fidelity for both regions and global (the differences are small, as a lot of the resources are common between the two).

It's safe to say you'll probably notice the changes to Global far less than those to full regions when using hybrid mode, but there are some changes nonetheless.

Archived