Dovetail Games Flight Simulator coming in 2016

addman

This news seems to have, for some strange reason, gone almost unnoticed for the flightsim community. I mean, we all knew Dovetail were working on a new flightsim and not only FSX:SE but that it would be released already next year was a bit of a surprise. I'm really happy that we might finally be getting a modern flightsim platform (hopefully/probably 64-bit, DirectX 12 and multi-core aware). Let's see how much legacy code will be left from the old FS platforms though. Here's the press release: http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/aug/4/dovetail-games-looks-to-the-future-collaborating-with-microsoft

Yeah I did read it and on another site as well.The thing that kinda troubled me is that by all accounts the "new sim" is based around Microsoft Flight engine.

Now pretty as that was,it had absolutely no resemblance to a realistic sim,at least in my view.

If though they listen to their own request they posted on Steam as to things Simmers would like included it may yet work out.

I do hope so it is good to have options,if though it just re-hashes the original ie. No ATC No AI, No road traffic etc I fear it will go the way of the original ,as one of the shortest lived programs in history.But hey we don't know anything yet so here is to hoping. 

Gary

Yeah I did read it and on another site as well.The thing that kinda troubled me is that by all accounts the "new sim" is based around Microsoft Flight engine.

Now pretty as that was,it had absolutely no resemblance to a realistic sim,at least in my view.

Aimee from Dovetail Games stated this:

"Hi guys,

Just to clear things up a little, we do not have plans to bring DFS to XBox at this time.

Additionally, "Flight technology" is in reference to MS flight simulation technology, and isn't specific to any one title.

If you have any further questions, please forward them to our Steam forum where our community team will be happy to help: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160

Apologies for any confusion,

-Aimee"

I'm worried about what DTG is doing after I watched Froogle's sunday news vid. He said he asked them about it and they responded the same thing. Not planning on bringing their new sim to console at this time. But later they posted a tweet that they were partnering with Microsoft to bring the sim to both win 10 and xbox. Shortly after, they took down that tweet and it does look like they are basing the new sim on Microsoft Flight. Not good. I left their announcements with the attitude "well LM, it's up to you now." I hope DTG comes out with some definitive clarity on just what they are planning.

Is MS Flight engine worse than... for example Unreal engine? I think that new sim will use MS Flight Engine for graphics and that is... We do not have more informations so we can only speculate what they working on.

For good financial profit they have to make it open to wide amount of users. New sim have to be open to new simers without experince, open to casual flyers with easy learning curve. This is most important amount of customers. Hardcore simers are minority. But I think that they will do it good for both casuals and hardcore simers. I think that is same as old racing simulators which have some really hardcore mode and mode with heplers (automatic gearbox, launch control, traction cotrol and so on) and lower realism for beginers or casuals.

there was nothing wrong with the MS Flight engine. What was flawed was no SDK and they alienated the core FS users And third party developers, destroying the flight sim ecosystem.

What the new one will be is exactly that, a new initiative so my suggestion to people is stop looking back,, flight simmers by nature are doomsayers but on occasion do eat their words.

Best example was when MS released Windows 95 and moved MSFS 5.1 from MSDOS 6.22 to MSFS 95 running exclusively in Windows 95. People complained big time when that happened but I don't see them complaining about that move anymore. Sometimes change is necessary to move forward so enough with the doomsday scenarios on these forums, the sky isn't falling.

I'm worried about what DTG is doing after I watched Froogle's sunday news vid. He said he asked them about it and they responded the same thing. Not planning on bringing their new sim to console at this time. But later they posted a tweet that they were partnering with Microsoft to bring the sim to both win 10 and xbox. Shortly after, they took down that tweet and it does look like they are basing the new sim on Microsoft Flight. Not good. I left their announcements with the attitude "well LM, it's up to you now." I hope DTG comes out with some definitive clarity on just what they are planning.

That worries you?

Yeah, it worries me.

Reality is this is a hobby, if you are that worried about it then that is when it goes beyond being a hobby

DTG has invested in something and it is for them to get a return on that investment, we will have to wait and see what exactly that is, I for one will not be losing any sleep over it

"Hi guys,

Just to clear things up a little, we do not have plans to bring DFS to XBox at this time.

Additionally, "Flight technology" is in reference to MS flight simulation technology, and isn't specific to any one title.

If you have any further questions, please forward them to our Steam forum where our community team will be happy to help: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160

Apologies for any confusion,

-Aimee"

Good advice, the rest is just speculation.

Archived