Is FS Global Mesh the only Ftx compatible mesh?

BamaKevin

For a full-fat high detail area, that would certainly be preferable.  But would that be realistic for Global areas?  There are an awful lot of urban areas in the world.  AFAIK the high-detail areas in Pilot's meshes are only some places, not everywhere.

So as well as ADE and InstantScenery, you'll need to learn mesh-processing so we can see your swimming pool!  Is your locality in Maurizio's upcoming scenery?

The idea of looking after some tool dealing with the mesh came to my mind, I must admit, to repair some plateaus/trenches which cannot be repaired  with the AEC tool. I fondly remember the day of Fly! where the scenery files where in a readable  .txt format and tweakable ad nauseam... Did you find any ?

I'm actually out of Maurizio's territory, not so far but out. You couldn't do this region, which is a quasi-urban continuity between Cannes and Nice with a strong suburban hinterland of villages and small cities in the hills overlooking the Med without a good mesh.  We are not far from the Alps.

My install is showing only 11gb. I have 8 entries in scenery library.  When I run installer it doent take as long as i thought it would. How long did the install take? I am installing on a Samsung SSD. I am seeing big difference in asia and europe and south america.  Maybe I was just thinking I would see a big difference in north america outside of all my Orbx regions.

My installed version (outside the FS directory and commonly used by Prepar3d and FSX:SE) is 23.2 GB. If yours is only 11 GB something went wrong.

Kind regards, Michael

What would be updated/new in a new version? Did the earths terrain contours change that much since 2010 to warrant a new version? I guess they could resell the same product with a new name and make another fortune lol.... :):)

I took Geology 101 in college (affectionally known as Rocks for Jocks, since it was an easy class for the athletes) and still to this day I remember that Iceland's tectonic plates are moving such that the island expands about 6 inches per year. OK I can't quite remember the number (getting old) but it less than a foot per year.

So hey, if the whole thing would have shifted 3 feet in 2016!!! Clearly we would need updated mesh data, wouldn't we?

My install is showing only 11gb. I have 8 entries in scenery library.  When I run installer it doent take as long as i thought it would. How long did the install take? I am installing on a Samsung SSD. I am seeing big difference in asia and europe and south america.  Maybe I was just thinking I would see a big difference in north america outside of all my Orbx regions.

I had a similar issue with the downloaded installer. I just kept running it until it didn't add any more files. As I recall it took three tries to get everything (the 4th added nothing). I have no idea what that was about; I ran it with the same settings each time, I have plenty of space, proper permissions, etc. Mine is now 23.2 GB.

FWIW, you can check where your temp directory is by clicking Start, right-clicking Computer->Properties, then selecting Advanced System Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables.  TEMP and TMP should show their paths.

Most applications (e.g. unwrappers, installers) that need to create temporary files will place them there.

Can someone be so kind as to post the size of their NAM folder.  Mine is showing to be 8.78gb. My install is now 20.0gb   I am missing 2gb

AFR  2.62gb

ANT 340mb

ASI  4.25gb

CSA  1.63gb

EUR  2.22gb

Local Mesh 195 bytes

NAM  8.78gb

OCE  185mb

Can someone be so kind as to post the size of their NAM folder.  Mine is showing to be 8.78gb. My install is now 20.0gb   I am missing 2gb

AFR  2.62gb

ANT 340mb

ASI  4.25gb

CSA  1.63gb

EUR  2.22gb

Local Mesh 195 bytes

NAM  8.78gb

OCE  185mb

I am getting the same with these exceptions

AFR 2.61GB

NAM 11.4GB

OCE 718MB

Perhaps a more useful thing is to initially check is the size of the files in the temp directory, after unwrapping and just before you install.  I'll check out mine a bit later and post the details.

Remember to empty your temp directory before you do this, as otherwise there'd be all sorts of clutter in there.  There may be a few write-protected items in there you can't delete, depending on what other processes are also using it at the time.

Edit: Scratch that - there is no unwrapping for this!

I was wrong about being wrong - there is an unwrapping stage, but only the first time.

I ran the beginning of the installer, and it does place files in the temp dir.  I don't know how much it needs, though, as I don't want to reinstall.  You might want to check the size of the files in your temp as the install progresses, just in case there is a problem about space.

One more thing - a long shot - if you're using a HDD, see how fragmented it is in case contiguous free space is short.  Select the drive, right-click Properties, then Tools->Defragment Now->Analyse Disc.

I ran the beginning of the installer, and it does place files in the temp dir.  I don't know how much it needs, though, as I don't want to reinstall.  You might want to check the size of the files in your temp as the install progresses, just in case there is a problem about space.

"Hello all!

We all know, this is an ORBX and NOT a PILOT'S site. Until now I have answered FS Global 2010 etc support calls here.

JV is a nice guy (I have met him, so I know .... ), but I do not want to try his mood. Havn't we all had a good example of what can happen lately ...  ;)

(No, JV has not made me write that!)

So this will be my last post with direct relay to FS Global 2010 W/O an adjoining Vector issue.

To give you at least some help here (as I understand you are seeking it here) I have made a list of what happened lately and how it can be fixed/checked.

1) Unzipping does not work:

°) Use WINRAR or WINZIP (7ZIP and internal unzipper do NOT work). You can at any time download and install a free trial version of these and uninstall later.

°) Have you noticed that you must not unzip into the download directory? Create a new one.

°) Create hash values of your downloaded files and compare them to the ones published on the download website. If you find missmatches, download these again.

Use Google to find a hash Generator, if you have none installed right now.

Â°) Enough space on the hard drive?

2) Install does not work/missing files claimed upon FSX start:

°) You have not enough space on the drive your Windows temp variable points to (mostly drive C:). [This is very common as some genius had the idea to start selling PCs with tiny

SSDs (64GB) for system start partitions. In addtion the systems download library also resides on C:. Enter FS Global 2010, 23GB download size. Unzip it, another 23GB.

Run installer (copies 23GB to temp dir .... Anyone here good on maths?]

Solution: You need to point your Windows temp variable to a drive, which has enough space for that. Use Google to find out how to do that, if you don't know.

These were the top ten. I will add up, as more arise.

Now, 18 minutes to go until New Year here in Austria ....  Anyone saying, we are not working?"

Cheers!

Stefan

PILOT'S CEO

pilots.jpg

Yeah - first thing I did after I installed Windows on an SSD was to put my temp on the HDD. ;)  It's not just the size (I've 500GB, so could probably get away with it), but the frequent writes will degrade the SSD faster.  I kept swap on the SSD, though, for performance reasons.  It's always a trade-off.

Archived