Old topic, Monument Valley terrain errors asking again

spud

I have asked this before but everything I have tried from info on numerous posts for Monument Valley do not help with the problem.

Running FSX (DX9)

GCS_149.jpg

As you can see in the screen shot there are three different Buttes that have the terrain duplicated above the ground.

I have tried FSX in Global, Global/Hybrid and North America.  In addition because I have problems with 'some' scenery (non ORBX) with the LC North America enabled in the FSX scenery library I even tried disabling that entry and then with all LC and MESH (Pilots' FTX Compatible) unchecked in the Library.  In addition I have tried UT enabled and disabled in the VECTOR Configuration Tool.  All exhibit the incorrect terrain.

Only the three buttes shown are incorrect with no other problems showing.

Is there anyway to get the scenery to exhibit correctly?

One more question.  While Monument Valley is a Global airport and shows in "Other" when Global is picked in Central v2 the airport installer actually places the files in the ORBX/FTX_NA folder when installed in FSX (DX9).  Perhaps this could cause the anomaly of this thread????

Never had anything near Monument Valley installed so I doubt it is a legacy issue.

Searched the FSX folder for *UT25* and have eight entries.

1. CVX_TrackUT25.BGL

2. TrackUT25_OBX.BGL

3. UT25CVX.bgl

4. UT25_ADEX_ADE.BGL

The above four are in ....ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_MONUMETVALLEY\Scenery

Number 5 is in ....ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_AEC\Scenery

5. AEC_UT25.inactive

The last three are in .... ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_APT.Scenery

6. ABP_UT25.inactive

7. APB_UT25_Default.bgl

8. APT_UT25.inactive

Hi Spud,

that looks like it might be a conflict with another terrain mesh file. Frank's mesh file that ships with Monument Valley actually removes the buttes from its data so that the 3D models can properly display without the terrain mesh "poking through". In your screenshot there's a mesh butte visible underneath the 3D model and that affects the reference point for that model and thus lifts it into the air.

The Monument Valley local mesh is compiled at LOD12 (10m). Check whether you have any other mesh files for that area either at higher display priority or the same or higher LOD (other than PILOT'S mesh). Also, what are your two mesh slider settings?

Cheers, Holger

If you have James Udall's scenery of Utah Complete (a nice addition), file cvxLAKEPOWELL.bgl intrudes upon Monument Valley so it should be removed. 

I toured all that area of canyon country between Denver and Las Vegas last year and some of the areas were spectacular. I have re-toured them in FSX and Utah Complete represents many of them well.

Nigel

Vancouver

Holger,

MESH Complexity 100%

MESH Resolution 5%

Nigel,

I do have Utah Complete and it is excellent.  I found the cvx file you referenced and disabled it (.OFF extension)

Result:

Did the trick!  Hotdamn buttes are no longer floating.  Thanks very much for the info.  Mark the problem SOLVED!

Hi Nigel,

thanks for the assist! That must have taken some fairly intensive detective work to find a CVX file that interferes with the MV buttes. I wonder what that file contains as it can't be mesh data; perhaps some local flattens...

I happened to be in that area myself last fall and it truly is spectacular. We were treated by a sandstorm followed by a thunderstorm that day and it made the landscape look very alien indeed.

https://flic.kr/p/q9Wwan

https://flic.kr/p/pSxEsU

Cheers, Holger

I applaud Nigel for the info.  I know I would never have figured it out on my own.  That's why ORBX users and the site is so important.

IE: Monument Valley IS spactacular from any venue.  My last visit was many years ago on a 'sandblower' flight at 50' and 650 kts. through the valley was a bit brief but still scenic.

Archived