Editing an OrbX airport with ADE

dominique

I've edited Sylvain's LGKV (I deactivated one of the two runways which is no more active in real life but the P3D tower still directs aircraft to take off there) and got the message below. I chose "yes", and everything looks OK but I didn't check every "black boxes" !

Is there anything else to do ? Does ADE find everything it needs in the OrbX library ?

LGKV.jpg

Go ahead and click yes to the compile. Do always back up the original file in case it comes out weird. Generally it is okay. Move this new AFCAD into the pertinent folder and rename the old one so only one AFCAD is there, the new one. ADE has you create two files, the saved one and the compiled one. Use the compiled on in the active folder.

Lee

Go ahead and click yes to the compile. Do always back up the original file in case it comes out weird. Generally it is okay. Move this new AFCAD into the pertinent folder and rename the old one so only one AFCAD is there, the new one. ADE has you create two files, the saved one and the compiled one. Use the compiled on in the active folder.

Lee

Thank you Lee it seems that everything has been compiled including the OrbX libray objects, but was not sure as they don't appear in the ADE libraries

Most of the time ADE will compile what is there, whether it is in their library or not. Once in awhile it won't render an unknown object quite right. You just have to look at it and see if it looks all right. You can always go back to the original file.

Lee

I believe this is what you are seeing, from the ADE manual:

7.6.6 Libraries Used

This Add-in feature lists libraries and scenery objects, which do not come from stock but from

third parties. Of course the objects are only listed when they are used in the current airport

project. If you see a library heading of “Unknown” this means that the objects are from a

library that is not loaded into your Library Object Manager. We are working towards a

‘universal’ object library list that will enable users to see objects from libraries that they do not

have. We plan this for a future version.

As long as you have Orbxlibs (no doubt you do!) it will compile OK and as Lee said, it will use those object GUIDs and will display.

I've edited Sylvain's LGKV (I deactivated one of the two runways which is no more active in real life but the P3D tower still directs aircraft to take off there) and got the message below. I chose "yes", and everything looks OK but I didn't check every "black boxes" !

Is there anything else to do ? Does ADE find everything it needs in the OrbX library ?

Hi Dominique,

Good catch for the closed runway. I didn't check the airport info when doing that airport. 

To disable the runway:

- Delete the runway starts.

- In the runway properties dialog go to the Pattern tab and set takeoff and landing to "NO" for primary and secondary.

- If you want FSX/P3D to draw a X at each end of the runway go to the Markings tab and check secondary closed and primary closed (However, in the latest Google Earth imagery I don't see a X)

To remove the black boxes in ADE you need to install the ORBX libs in the ADE's library manager. It's a long procedure (you will have to click OK to import each library file and that's over 100 files). See ADE's manual for the correct procedure.  Also each time there is a library update you will have to import them again in ADE. Personally, I don't use this feature anymore. I use Instant Scenery to place my objects in a different BGL file.

It would be nice if you send me your updated airport. I could include it in a future update and mention your name of course. You can send me a PM when you're done.

- Delete the runway starts.

- In the runway properties dialog go to the Pattern tab and set takeoff and landing to "NO" for primary and secondary.

Bonjour Sylvain

Glad you chime in. I claimed victory a little fast. This morning, I saw that 5L was actually till functional. I think that yesterday, the old file had somehow not been replaced by the new one.

So I did a reinsatll of the EU pack to have everything new and followed your instructions to the letter (plus unckeched the VASI). After compiling, when I went back into the sim, the scenery had mostly disappeared with a weird pylon floating above what was left of it ::) . What do I miss ?

BTW I run the Vector automatic tool and the LGKV is not in the manual tool list. 

LGKV2.jpg

@Dominique

From the menu at the top, select Tools\Library Objects Manager.

At the bottom of the window that appears,towards the right, you

will see an Add Folder tab.

Click on this and navigate to

ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery

Numerous windows will appear, one after the other, saying

* objects added to the library.

Keep the Return key pressed and it won't take long before it is done.

Then do as you did before, making sure that when you compile the

airport, the file name is exactly the same as the one you are replacing.

Copy it into the ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\Scenery

folder and let it overwrite.

Which runway is closed, I understand the left one?

Bonjour Dominique,

From your shot I can see that only the default FSX objects have been compiled. All the FTXLIBS objects are missing. Did you import the Libs in ADE?

If the airport is not in Vector AEC list you don't have to bother, there is just nothing to do with it

@Sylvain, Nick

This is the procedure I followed. Just needed to reinitialize the whole thing.  I closed ADE and P3D and reopened them and voilà, the buildings were back in business. Thank you both. There are still a couple of black boxes, maybe another library used by Sylvain. Nothing that I worry about

I had then a problem with the CVX. Whatever the option I took in the 2nd menu window, it was deleted bringing havoc to the layout . So I re-added it manually

Sylvain, I will send it to you. I think that everything is OK as I don't see the 5L/23R VASI anymore. I just want to ckeck the lighting at night and how does the ATC behave.

BTW I had to get rid of a My Traffic X 6 ABP_ (two towers). What about MTX BR2_ ? A keeper or not ?

@Jabble, next is yours :lol:

@Sylvain, Nick

This is the procedure I followed. Just needed to reinitialize the whole thing.  I closed ADE and P3D and reopened them and voilà, the buildings were back in business. Thank you both. There are still a couple of black boxes, maybe another library used by Sylvain. Nothing that I worry about

I had then a problem with the CVX. Whatever the option I took in the 2nd menu window, it was deleted bringing havoc to the layout . So I re-added it manually

Sylvain, I will send it to you. I think that everything is OK as I don't see the 5L/23R VASI anymore. I just want to ckeck the lighting at night and how does the ATC behave.

BTW I had to get rid of a My Traffic X 6 ABP_ (two towers). What about MTX BR2_ ? A keeper or not ?

You can check if the runway is inactive by choosing the go to airport in FSX. If you cannot start a flight at RWY 05L or 23R  it means it is disabled. 

The runway is lightened at night. You will need to disable this in the runway properties > Lights tab > Edge lights to none.

You will also need to remove the taxi signs for that runway  ;)

The _CVX file contains the airport backgrounds, the roads around the airport and the flatten polygons. This file is not imported in ADE when you choose the "open from BGL" menu. You must keep the original file... Or make a new one that fits perfectly what you see in Google Earth  :smile:

I Don't have My Trafic X so I can't help much. Did you have correct trafic at the airport before your upgrade and now no more ?

You can check if the runway is inactive by choosing the go to airport in FSX. If you cannot start a flight at RWY 05L or 23R  it means it is disabled. 

The runway is lightened at night. You will need to disable this in the runway properties > Lights tab > Edge lights to none.

You will also need to remove the taxi signs for that runway  ;)

The _CVX file contains the airport backgrounds, the roads around the airport and the flatten polygons. This file is not imported in ADE when you choose the "open from BGL" menu. You must keep the original file... Or make a new one that fits perfectly what you see in Google Earth  :smile:

I Don't have My Trafic X so I can't help much. Did you have correct trafic at the airport before your upgrade and now no more ?

- Taxi signs : hmmm, didn't think of that... Will look into the manual as the list looks very confusing in a first approach

- CVX : is it made with ADE too or Sbuilder ?

- BR2_ : don't see any problem (yet), just wondered whether one of your files had the same function.

Hehe, fair enough!

I've had a slight delay figuring out a missing fonts problem - had to uninstall Openoffice, but it seems to be working now.

My first project is an airfield missing from P3D, at Labuha on Bacan Island in the Moluccas, Indonesia.  It looks like it might be an easy enough beginner project, but so far I've only got as far as adding guidelines.  And I've noticed Sonoma has arrived, so the delay will be a bit longer... ::)

Taxi signs are drawn in ADE as small objects. Look near the hold short points or near the taxiway crossings and move your mouse over the nearest objects. You will see a preview of the taxi signs indicating the runway direction. Select it to edit or delete.

CVX files are created by ADE. Each time you compile an airport ADE checks if you have drawn backgrounds or roads. If yes ADE creates (or updates) a _CVX file. If No ADE checks the folder where you are compiling and if there is a _CVX file with the same name as the airport it is removed. 

I always compile my airports in a temporary folder outside FSX and then copy the necessary files into FSX.

[Edit] none of my files are modifying AI traffic. I just check that all the runways, taxiways and parkings are correctly linked together to allow any AI traffic program to use the correct links.

Hehe, fair enough!

I've had a slight delay figuring out a missing fonts problem - had to uninstall Openoffice, but it seems to be working now.

My first project is an airfield missing from P3D, at Labuha on Bacan Island in the Moluccas, Indonesia.  It looks like it might be an easy enough beginner project, but so far I've only got as far as adding guidelines.  And I've noticed Sonoma has arrived, so the delay will be a bit longer... ::)

Thats courageous :o !   l may begin by enhancing an existing airport not far (Java).

Taxi signs are drawn in ADE as small objects. Look near the hold short points or near the taxiway crossings and move your mouse over the nearest objects. You will see a preview of the taxi signs indicating the runway direction. Select it to edit or delete.

CVX files are created by ADE. Each time you compile an airport ADE checks if you have drawn backgrounds or roads. If yes ADE creates (or updates) a _CVX file. If No ADE checks the folder where you are compiling and if there is a _CVX file with the same name as the airport it is removed. 

I always compile my airports in a temporary folder outside FSX and then copy the necessary files into FSX.

[Edit] none of my files are modifying AI traffic. I just check that all the runways, taxiways and parkings are correctly linked together to allow any AI traffic program to use the correct links.

I found the taxi signs, changed some, deleted some and deleted a few hold short points  which were for 5L/23R too :)  !

All these taxiway links, one heck of a job you do, guys !

Moving along nicely but slowly, this is my first foray into ADE scenery making. I've not made sceneries since my day with Terrascene in Fly! :) ! So a last (I may lie here) question :

How to get rid of the green lights at the edge of the runway (and the red at the opposite) but keeping the white lights. On the pic below, the runway edge lights are at low in the Lights tab. If I put them at none, ther's no light anymore all along the length of the runway on  the right. It should as the old runway  is still lighted as a runway. Limitation of the sim and/orADE ? These white or green lights don't appear as objects as the taxi lights do.

Looking West, 5L/23R on the right. The PAPI is already gone :)

lights.jpg

The green lights come along with the white edge lights. You must turn the edge lights to NONE in ADE. If the runway is closed and has become a taxiway you should place blue taxi lights instead of white lights. Else pilots could be confused at night and might land on the wrong runway. You can imagine the consequence if there is a aircraft taxiing there  ???  ???  

The green lights come along with the white edge lights. You must turn the edge lights to NONE in ADE. If the runway is closed and has become a taxiway you should place blue taxi lights instead of white lights. Else pilots could be confused at night and might land on the wrong runway. You can imagine the consequence if there is a aircraft taxiing there  ???  ???  

Thank you Sylvain. Yes, I can imagine, it wouldn't be nice, but maybe the Greeks like to live dangerously. This is what I found there. Se AD 2.9.

Old runway 05L/23R is used now as TWY, although marked and

lighted as RWY.

Hmmm, so no blue lights... Thats why I wanted the greenlights out.

The research homework is half the fun !

Thank you Sylvain. Yes, I can imagine, it wouldn't be nice, but maybe the Greeks like to live dangerously. This is what I found there. Se AD 2.9.

Old runway 05L/23R is used now as TWY, although marked and

lighted as RWY.

Hmmm, so no blue lights... Thats why I wanted the greenlights out.

The research homework is half the fun !

OK, looks a bit strange but if it is so in real life... 

Archived