Pago Pago NSTU Water Texture Problem (bright white)?

Rhett

Hi there,

Please take a look at these screenshots from FSX Pago Pago I took today. This first time I flew around NSTU, I did not notice the extremely bright white water textures around the airport. It now does not look that realistic. The only change that I can recall happening on my PC since the 1st time was the auto updated FTX Central Version (29/06/2015).

Are these textures (particularly the white water textures) correct ? Does everyone else see similar water textures around the airport? I looked on the FTX website under the Pago Pago screenshots and could not see these bright white water textures. The season is "winter" (i.e. as it is now) and the time is the middle of the day. It is not so bad at dawn and dusk.

If they are not correct, any ideas what might be causing this? I tried switching FTX regions and tried with and without Hybrid mode - with no apparent change to the textures. I run DX10 with Steve's Fixer (but I have always run DX10 and did not notice these bright white textures the 1st time I flew in the area). 

PagoPago1.jpg

PagoPago2.jpg

PagoPago3.jpg

Thanks and regards,

Hi Rhett,

Here's what I see with current conditions at 14:30, and it's a fairly cloudy day.  The whites are definitely more subdued.

2015-7-12_14-42-21-480.th.jpg

Maybe you could try different weather settings to see what difference it makes?

I've never been to Samoa IRL, but certainly other parts of coastal Pacific tropics can be blindingly white around midday.  Shades country for sure! 8)

Hi Rhett,

Your shots seem correct although a little bright, but that section is all coral/silt, heres a picture from FSX using DX9 and FSWC, it is very similar to yours http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/98559-just-one-more-shot-of-pago-pago/

What can alter how the water looks is the reflections and animations and anything that controls 'how much' of the photoreal shows through the wave animation (if that makes sense), i.e REX water settings, ENB bloom, FSWC, and also the time of day, weather, perhaps you may have altered a setting somewhere?

FTXcentral would not alter anything in relation to water/photoreal display

@Jabble, P3D displays water differently (and darker) and less of the photoreal shows through, its a bit better now in 2.5 over earlier versions

Hi Tim, @Jabble,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I only use REX and DX10 (and nothing else). I played around with switching between DX9 and DX10 and experienced quite significant differences is the water textures (DX9 was much better in so far as the bright white water).

It seems worse when looking at the water from low down (i.e. on the ground) so I am still playing with the DX10 reflections (percentage ambient light and sky reflections etc.). Will also try different water textures in Rex.

Thanks Tim for confirming that this is not a problem with the textures and FTX Central / Global!

Thanks a million for creating such awesome scenery and the support. Really appreciated.

Cheers,

Adam_Z's "How To Guide" for DX10 cautions against using these two textures from REX4 for water:   "Bright default" and "Bright Shallow", since these two have the wave patterns already burned in.  All "Bright Clear" textures are good, since they allow DX10 "to provide wave animations based on wind speed and direction."  So choose wisely.

Stew

Archived