Scenery Library configuration, the correct order

hwh86

In my Scenery Library, as I have just discovered, Vector entries are just above FS Global 2010 entries. This is the opposite of what the FTX definitive guide says on page 38. I cannot detect a problem, nevertheless, should I change the order to match that in the guide? Please advise.

When you install VECTOR it automatically places the files in the correct spot in the FSX Scenery Library.

There are four files:

ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ

ORBX!VECTOR_APT

ORBX!VECTOR_CVX

ORBX!VECTOR_EXX

Located just above the FS Global 2010 files as you said in your post.

There is one more VECTOR file:

ORBX!VECTOR_AEC

Located lower in the library just below the 0000 Base entry.

The VECTOR manual specifically states that the VECTOR files should NOT be moved from the default installed locations.

Thank you Spud, that's what I thought except, in that case the Orbx/FTX Guide in Ftx Central 2 is wrong. I am sure I am not the only one confused.

Thanks again,

Les

Thank you Spud, that's what I thought except, in that case the Orbx/FTX Guide in Ftx Central 2 is wrong. I am sure I am not the only one confused.

Thanks again,

Les

Les,  Pg. 38 is very specific about the order of entries in the library.  hwh38's post above is a direct copy from the FTX guide.  I don't see where the guide is wrong at all.

Hi Les,

Vector is under Global of 2010. FTX Guide is correct.

Freidi thank you. I suppose, if I cannot move Vector I have to move FS Global 2010.

Thanks

Les

The trouble is, how the computer generates the scenery with all its elements and in what order is a complete mystery to me. I am a mechanical engineer and engineering is my element I am comfortable with. I am also a pilot so flying is also my element. I can imagine that is how developers feel about scenery and the world of computer graphics. I take my hat off to them.

Stewart, Spud said Vector above FS Global which is what I have, the picture above shows FS Global above Vector.

Ah, yes, so he did.  See if you can move your FS Global above Vector without any ill effects, since that's where it's supposed to be.

Stew

I have Stewart and no ill effects but, than again, there weren't any whilst Vector entries were above. I think Tech Support should moderate who is authorised and qualified to respond to support requests to ensure that the right answers are given.

:footmouth: Well I have to admit that I seem to have gotten things bassackwards in my mind.  I actually have my Library setup as stated in the ORBX Definitve Guide and shown in hwh83's 3rd post.  However there are 20 other entries between the Global 2010 entries and the first four VECTOR entries. starting with Edwards AFB and ending with Africa all of which are standard (default) FSX entries.  Of course there is alos the age old bugaboo or higher/lower (order) and higher/lower (priority) which seem to mean directly opposed things; never did quite know which was which.

Although I did agree with the OP in my first post even though I had my Library set up via the guide it was a brainfart on my part.  Sorry hwh83 if I led you astray at first but as usual the good folk here at ORBX came through with how it should be.  Thanks fellas in setting things correct.

:footmouth:

Hi guys,

it actually doesn't matter whether the PILOTS Global entries are above or below the Vector entries. Scenery library order matters only for spatially overlapping components of the same type, meaning stuff that competes with each other for scenery display priority. Global Vector and Global mesh provide different components and thus don't compete and the FSX/P3D scenery engine sorts it out correctly regardless of their position in the scenery library menu.

Cheers, Holger 

Archived