Freeware Airports in Switzerland

Just some remarks to Samedan LSZS in your Europe Freeware Package: first thing is, that this airport sadly does not really fit the Switzerland Professional X scenery most Swiss simmers use. It might be perfect for FTX Global (for what it is intended, I know) and that's fine, I simply realized that things are quiet misaligned regarding the photoscenery, that's a pity. Second thing: I really do not understand what the scenery designer was thinking when he put a Tiger Airways A320 on a small Swiss business airport. This is also quiet a immersion breaker for those using FTX Global and not affected by the first issue.

I will fly to the next Swiss airports included in the freeware package and report back, if I also find some issues there. For me, it is perfectly fine if they do not fit the Switzerland Professional X scenery, but it might be worth knowing it for other users that's why I opened this thread.

Besides that, the freeware airports are a great addition and already greatly enhance the boring standard FSX airports. There are simply so many of them, I will hardly ever visit all of the freeware airports...

I use a payware Samedan so I did not notice.

Not sure about the purpose of this thread -- is it necessary? It is a free offering, simply remove the ones that you do not like. Certainly I would hate for the author of all these EU freeware airports to feel discouraged. Or are you suggesting that he should improve them or make them better fit some photoreal scenery going forward? I am inclined to agree with your observations but I am not sure ORBX can be held to the standard of having to exactly fit a photoreal third party offering. Just remove all the swiss airports and be done with it.

I can tell you that I have released just a handful (less than 10) of these FTX freeware airports and I am certainly no expert, except I am certainly qualified to state that they are NOT easy to do and do well, to the standards of Neil and JV. Many of my efforts were rejected, in the beginning, but later I got better, with some tutoring. Recently I had one substandard airport which be getting corrected in the next batch. It is quite humbling.

Besides that, the freeware airports are a great addition and already greatly enhance the boring standard FSX airports.

Hi,

That's exactly the reason why I am developing those freeware airport packs, just to enhance default airports nothing else.

If you are using a third party addon you can disable them by renaming the extension to .off

For the A320, maybe you can find the answer here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/77744-ftx-global-freeware-airports-eu-pack-2/?p=754984

Not sure about the purpose of this thread -- is it necessary? It is a free offering, simply remove the ones that you do not like. Certainly I would hate for the author of all these EU freeware airports to feel discouraged. Or are you suggesting that he should improve them or make them better fit some photoreal scenery going forward? I am inclined to agree with your observations but I am not sure ORBX can be held to the standard of having to exactly fit a photoreal third party offering. Just remove all the swiss airports and be done with it.

Well, asking if a thread is "necessary" is always a possibility, no? As mentioned, I really appreciate the work all authors of the freeware package have done, still for me it is absolutely clear that even if it is free, you can still comment on it and provide a possibility for improvements for later relases, no? Those days there is some tendency that as soon as something is offered for free, it should never be criticized or commented besides praising it like lord. I do not agree with this habit, even freeware products can be improved and if no one is ever mentioning any criticism, freeware authors eventually do not get any better.

Anyway, as I said, the mismatch with Switzerland Professional X is not a big issue, as no one can expect from the authors to use this scenery for their development and that the airport is intended to be for FTX Global. However, other users of Switzerland Professional X might have the same question I had: are those freeware airports compatible and for them, such a thread could be helpful.

BUT: the Tiger A320 is completely misplaced and has nothing to do on a Swiss GA airport, simple fact and using a blank texture implying that this is a business A320 would have been much more realistic. I mean, it is absolutely clear and obvious that those other GA static airplanes do not have a Swiss registration, to much effort for little benefit, but a TigerAir A320? Come on, this plane is so huge, it was the first thing hitting my eyes on my first approach into LSZS :lol:

I personally overlook details that are being argued.  Take for instance, the Washington D.C. area.  There are plenty of areas that are mismatched or not geographically correct, but I don't nitpick because when you thnk about the intent of Flight SImulator, it is to fly, not necessarily sightsee.  If you want to sightsee, use Google Maps' flight sim. :)

ORBX has it about as good as it will get, free or otherwise.  The devs of the freeware are to be applauded, because they obviously accomplished what we didn't and on top of that, they gave it away.  Selflessness goes a long way with me. :)

-Jim

Archived