Bigger monitor & my graphics card.

Aceshigh

Hi everyone, Ive been stuck at home sick for weeks now and Ive thought about upgrading my systems monitor.

I have at the moment a samsung 19" wide screen that runs at 1440x900   60hz.

My System is:

E8500 3.15gz

4GB 800mhz ram

9800GTX+    (latest drivers)

Thermaltake 800watt power.

640 GB Hard drive

150GB raptor Hard drive

Vista home premium.

19" widescreen. 

My question is if I upgrade to a 22" or a 24" montitor will my frame rates in FTX drop due to the graphics card trying to push more pixels around a bigger screen at higher resolutions?

thanks  :)

i think u will find the new monitor will have a higher native res and the res is the biggest factor , u might be interested to build a lcd projector , thats wat im going to do once i get some money.

Hi everyone, Ive been stuck at home sick for weeks now and Ive thought about upgrading my systems monitor.

My System is:

E8500 3.15gz

4GB 800mhz ram

640 GB Hard drive

150GB raptor Hard drive

Vista home premium.

19" widescreen. 

My question is if I upgrade to a 22" or a 24" montitor will my frame rates in FTX drop due to the graphics card trying to push more pixels around a bigger screen at higher resolutions?

The answer to your question is no.:)

My System is:

E8500 3.15gz

4GB 800mhz ram

640 GB Hard drive

150GB raptor Hard drive

Vista home premium.

19" widescreen. 

Don't get 22" most are TN panels and are lower in quality seek out any S-IPS and also most 22" are 6bit colour and again seek out 8bit or above. I know money maybe a issue but the truth about it is you pay for what you get.

While hardware you can purchase some crappy products and be stung wishing you spent a little more but in most case you can get away with it. Monitors on the other hand many over look and to me there one of the biggest items that when looking for spend up big and research heavily. If need be save more and go straight out for the best because every time you turn it on your not going to mumble to yourself if it performs and be kicking yourself that you didn't hold off until more funds came in to buy better if it doesn't perform.

Better to be happy now than grit your teeth and blame FSX or FTX for a poor game when it turns out it was the cheap nasty monitor all along but your graphics card as is will hammer a 24" at 1920x1200 without an issue.

I was running my Samsung 28" HD on a 8800 GTS 320 with no problems in max screen. Thats full 1900x1280

Now i run it with GTX280 due to a PC upgrade.

A question you should ask yourself... What is the one thing you look at for the entire time you are flying?

Is it your PC case? Your keyboard? Joystick? pedals? Coffee maker? ha ;D

My point is the monitor, both in size and quality, directly relates to your flight experience 100% of the time.

Spend as much as you can justifyably afford. Short term pain, long term gain. I know, I know, the GFC and all that stuff.

Now, were can i find a decent 42"?  :D

Happy flying and get well soon.

TreeTops

I had what can only be described as an Orbxgasm the first time I plugged the computer into my 42" Plasma, I dont get to do it often but it is the most immersive experience! and I actually had a gain in FPS, but who knows what caused that.

I got this one http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitors/review/2006/09/13/BenQ-FP241W-24in-Widescreen-Monitor/p1  and it's by far the best monitor i ever had, hands down. I believe Holger got the same model and is also satisfied. Not sure though if it is still available. I had absolutely nothing to adjust - the factory preset was perfect (can't say that about my other monitors...).

Don't get fooled by contrast, response time and all this stuff. It's not a cheapo, a good monitor has it's price... Best investment ever.

Don't get 22" most are TN panels and are lower in quality seek out any S-IPS and also most 22" are 6bit colour and again seek out 8bit or above. I know money maybe a issue but the truth about it is you pay for what you get.

While hardware you can purchase some crappy products and be stung wishing you spent a little more but in most case you can get away with it. Monitors on the other hand many over look and to me there one of the biggest items that when looking for spend up big and research heavily. If need be save more and go straight out for the best because every time you turn it on your not going to mumble to yourself if it performs and be kicking yourself that you didn't hold off until more funds came in to buy better if it doesn't perform.

Better to be happy now than grit your teeth and blame FSX or FTX for a poor game when it turns out it was the cheap nasty monitor all along but your graphics card as is will hammer a 24" at 1920x1200 without an issue.

Excellent advice, I couldnt have put it better. I agree that many overlook their monitors. As you guys have mentioned it IS what you look at EVERY time you use your machine so get the best you can! :)

Archived