installing ORBX products into FSX steam

mike4370

i just got FSX steam and am having trouble installing any ORBX products into it. the installers (both freeware and payware) wont let me choose which folder to point them to. they just go to FSX boxed version. i have alot of FTX products in FSX boxed and love them. i really would like to install all of my FTX stuff into steam as well.

Hi Mike,

It's not possible to install into both versions - you have to choose one or the other, and only have that one installed.  A major problem is that both versions use many of the same registry entries, so any software that uses them will get confused.  If you decide to Orbx products with FSX:SE, please be careful to remove all traces of FSX classic, including registry entries.  If you search the FSX:SE section, you'll find more details.

oh thats a bummer. if i only had FSX:SE. then the installers would find the correct folder,  and everything would work correctly?

Exactly so. FSX:SE is undoubtedly the better one to use, as the code base has been tidied up a bit.  If you want two separate installs, then you'd need P3D and one of the FSX versions, as Orbx products will allow dual install that way.

i just got FSX steam and am having trouble installing any ORBX products into it. the installers (both freeware and payware) wont let me choose which folder to point them to. they just go to FSX boxed version. i have alot of FTX products in FSX boxed and love them. i really would like to install all of my FTX stuff into steam as well.

I have seen threads on the Steam forum where people have managed to run entirely separate installs of FSX boxed and Steam. You might wish to check and ask the question there. But it's very much a case of.....you're on your own and it also begs the question......why?

• 2 weeks later...

Same question for me.. I know that steam edition actually changes folders and files if it detects you have the "classic" version installed.. Also seen different registry keys (i.e. Dovetailgames instead of microsoft, etc) so not really sure what the problem is?

While it is certainly possible to run both FSX Steam and FSX Legacy in parallel, the issue arises when trying to install some addons.

Basically, if you only have FSX Legacy, the various folders used to store certain files and config data contain "FSX" in the name.

Installing FSX Steam, on a freshly cleaned system (or one without FSX Legacy) will produce the same folder names and structures.

However FSX Steam will determine during install if you also have FSX Legacy installed, so it will create folders and some files with slightly different names, using "FSX-SE" instead of "FSX"... that way you can have both versions running side by side.

It's when you get the "FSX-SE" naming that causes the issues. Many addons, not just FTX products, rely on the file naming to be the standard "FSX".

That's why it's best to choose which one you wish to use... They're both essentially the same product, but FSX Steam does run more smoothly and with fewer errors.

I have seen threads on the Steam forum where people have managed to run entirely separate installs of FSX boxed and Steam. You might wish to check and ask the question there. But it's very much a case of.....you're on your own and it also begs the question......why?

Exactly. Why would you want to run FSX:Boxed and FSX:SE on the same PC? Make very little sense to run boxed these days, it performs worse and does not get code updates anymore.

Archived