Pilot's FS Global 2010 for FTX and/or FS Genesis?

ifrevets

I just purchased Pilot's FS Global 2010 for FTX and I have FS Genesis for North America and most of Europe installed.

My question is: Do I remove the FS Genesis and replace it with the Pilot's FS Global 2010 for FTX or can they both co-exist?

They can co-exist. FSX will use whichever is the lowest resolution (highest LOD). I think, though, that there is little, if any, benefit of doing so as I doubt there many, if any, cases where FSGenesis is the better choice. When I installed FSG2010  I removed all my FSGenesis and don't miss it at all.

Doug

I just went through this exercise with FS Global 2010 and FS Ultimate.

I e-mailed Pilots and the reply from them was to use one or the other but not both.  So if I had FS Global 2010 installed for the world and then installed Ultimate for North America I should disable the North American part of FS Global 2010.

I would imagine the same would hold true for FS Global 2010 and FS Genesis.

Noel

Hi Doug and Noel:

Thanks guys for the response.

Now all I have to do is get Pilot's to unzip.

So far I have been unable to get the entire first download (File  1) to unzip.

All the .bin files unzip but the .exe will not (not responding).

Using Winzip with several tries but no luck so far.

I made an MD5 file of the zip file and the checksum matched the number on the download site so the download appears to be o.k..

Are  either of you using the download version of Pilots from FSS?

Did you encounter any problems with the downloaded zip file?

Hi Holger:

I have been doing what the link suggests but when I try to unzip it (Winzip 17.5) it says

specify location for part 1 of the archive

and when I highlight and select the folder to use  it says

no items match your search

Will google how to extract spanned zip files in WinZip17.5  and maybe I can get a clue.

Hi Doug and Noel:

Thanks guys for the response.

Now all I have to do is get Pilot's to unzip.

So far I have been unable to get the entire first download (File  1) to unzip.

All the .bin files unzip but the .exe will not (not responding).

Using Winzip with several tries but no luck so far.

I made an MD5 file of the zip file and the checksum matched the number on the download site so the download appears to be o.k..

Are  either of you using the download version of Pilots from FSS?

Did you encounter any problems with the downloaded zip file?

I'm using the download version (downloaded with Internet Download Manager) and had no problem with the unzip (using WinRAR). I'm not familiar with recent versions of WinZip so I'm no help there. What download manager did you use?

Doug

I'm using the download version (downloaded with Internet Download Manager) and had no problem with the unzip (using WinRAR). I'm not familiar with recent versions of WinZip so I'm no help there. What download manager did you use?

Doug

I normally use free download manager because I find its interface easier to use but I also downloaded the file with Internet Download Manager with the same problems.

I think that I am not using winzip properly but it always has worked properly before.

I can open the file with a double click and I see all the contents including the executable at the end.

I can open the folder I want it to go to and I see all of the contents except the executable.

The executable never gets to my selected folder and if I go to ctrl/alt/del it says the program is not responding.

If I close the download window then all the other files that were in the destination folder are gone and the folder is empty.

So it's obvious  they were not unzipped because the process never completed.

Is it possible you have an anti-virus program that's preventing the .exe file from being unbundled from the others? I've had that happen with my ESET security suite. It's a long shot but I don't have anything else to offer. Where are the Winzip experts when you need them..............................?

Doug

Is it possible you have an anti-virus program that's preventing the .exe file from being unbundled from the others? I've had that happen with my ESET security suite. It's a long shot but I don't have anything else to offer. Where are the Winzip experts when you need them..............................?

Doug

I don't use any anti-virus software.

However I think I know what my problem is. Too soon old . . . too late smart!

I downloaded a trial version of WinRar and when I tried to unzip the file it said it needed the first file in the spanned set to continue.

The light turned on . . . I think. 

That is what WinZip was asking for when it said   specify location for part 1 of the archive

Didn't realize the part 1 file was what it wanted. WinRar was much easier; it said to locate the part 1 file by its name.

I won't be able to prove that though, until I download all the files again (because I deleted them )  and do the install again.

My next post should close out this thread.

I downloaded a trial version of WinRar and when I tried to unzip the file it said it needed the first file in the spanned set to continue.

That is what WinZip was asking for when it said   specify location for part 1 of the archive

Didn't realize the part 1 file was what it wanted. WinRar was much easier; it said to locate the part 1 file by its name.

::) Once I realized what I was doing wrong I was able to extract the zip file with WINRAR and I now have the program installed on my computer. ::)

Thanks to all you guys for your suggestions and a special thank you to Doug for pointing me in the right direction!

Archived