Error Trying To Install Orbx Scenery On FSX-Steam Only Machine

I originally tried to add FSX-Steam to FSX-Boxed on the same machine. I finally decided to go to a Steam-only installation. After uninstalling all my FSX-boxed add-ons and FSX, I uninstalled Steam. After re-installing Steam, I also used the Nick Cooper 19 May 2015 method to make sure that all traces of FSX were gone. When I tried to install Global Base and Global Vector and indicated that I wanted an FSX installation, I got this message for both:

" Radio Buttons 01 > On Next, Line 10: Argument 2 must be of type string

Stack Traceback

1: (Radio Buttons 01 > On Next] Line 10 in main chunk"

When I identified the install folder for Steam Edition, I used c:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Are the Orbx installers expecting c:\programs(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX as indicated in some posts?

I can fully appreciate why you don't want to rework all your installers for dual or even single Steam installs.

However, (1)  I ripped out my Boxed installation with the expectation that I would be able to install my Orbx sceneries without any problems (2) I don't particularly want to install Steam into the Programs(x86) area based on my experience with Boxed edition installed that way (3) I was planning to buy several more Orbx sceneries this month during your 37% off sales promotion. However, unless I have a quick solution to this installation problem I will obviously not be doing so.

I  realize this is a frustrating situation for Orbx as well as for customers like myself who love the quality of your scenery and already have a significant investment in it.

I have yet to see a tested manual of installation for Orbx scenery into Steam Edition - just a fragmented collection of posts. Perhaps the first phase of your partnership with Dovetail might be to work on installation issues - a problem which will have to be solved before Orbx will be able to sell through that channel.

Thanks,

Steve

Doogles and Nick,

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies. I have a few questions...

Doogles: In the Ed Correia post you reference,  the 32 bit key is in place and the setuppath value points to my Steam installation but the 64 bit key is missing. I used the recommended FSX Registry Utility to look for the keys and their values but I don't see how to insert the new key with it. Do I have to register it before it will let me type in a new key to add?

Nick: In the post you reference in your reply to me, in your response to member contractpilot you reference a 64 bit path that includes \Flight Simulator\10\ SetupPath\. In the Ed Correia post referenced above, the 64 bit path stops with \Flight Simulator\. Which applies to my Windows Professional x64 OS?

Thanks,

Steve

I originally tried to add FSX-Steam to FSX-Boxed on the same machine. I finally decided to go to a Steam-only installation. After uninstalling all my FSX-boxed add-ons and FSX, I uninstalled Steam. After re-installing Steam, I also used the Nick Cooper 19 May 2015 method to make sure that all traces of FSX were gone. When I tried to install Global Base and Global Vector and indicated that I wanted an FSX installation, I got this message for both:

" Radio Buttons 01 > On Next, Line 10: Argument 2 must be of type string

Stack Traceback

1: (Radio Buttons 01 > On Next] Line 10 in main chunk"

When I identified the install folder for Steam Edition, I used c:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Are the Orbx installers expecting c:\programs(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\FSX as indicated in some posts?

I can fully appreciate why you don't want to rework all your installers for dual or even single Steam installs.

However, (1)  I ripped out my Boxed installation with the expectation that I would be able to install my Orbx sceneries without any problems (2) I don't particularly want to install Steam into the Programs(x86) area based on my experience with Boxed edition installed that way (3) I was planning to buy several more Orbx sceneries this month during your 37% off sales promotion. However, unless I have a quick solution to this installation problem I will obviously not be doing so.

I  realize this is a frustrating situation for Orbx as well as for customers like myself who love the quality of your scenery and already have a significant investment in it.

I have yet to see a tested manual of installation for Orbx scenery into Steam Edition - just a fragmented collection of posts. Perhaps the first phase of your partnership with Dovetail might be to work on installation issues - a problem which will have to be solved before Orbx will be able to sell through that channel.

Thanks,

Steve

Why would ORBX not make changes tot its installers?   More and more customers are using several partitions

on their harddrive.  Flightsimulator could be installed on any partition.  Doing so saves space on the C drive  for 

more virtual memory.

Many programs offer the customer the choice where to install the program.

My Steam/FSX is not installed on the C-drive, so FTX Central  can not find FSX.  I am not afraid to

mingle with the Registry,  but to create a complete new  registry-items is too complicated for me.

So, please, adapt yoyr installer

Frits Tempel 

@ Steve, you need the full path as the installer is looking for the SetupPath entry.

The Registry Tool which I have linked to will do this for you.

@Frits, Ftx Central and the installer don't find the Flight Simulator only when the

correct registry entry is missing.

This usually occurs when the installation has been moved or when it has replaced

another simulator and the registry has not been amended to reflect this.

The installers all work quite correctly when the Simulator has been correctly installed

into an operating system where there has been none before.

It would be quite impossible to cater for the dozens of different configurations that can

be set up either on purpose or by mistake by the end user.

If the end user has deliberately set up a non-default configuration, it is rare for them to

ask for help here.

I have Prepar3d 2.5 Professional Edition and FSX SE on my computer. It installed fine in Prepar3d, but it won't install in FSX SE. I get the following error:

post-57348-0-08497100-1432700838_thumb.p

then I get:

post-57348-0-48041700-1432700900_thumb.p

and finally this before it quits:

post-57348-0-14944900-1432700956_thumb.p

Please help!

Thanks,

Auston

post-57348-0-08497100-1432700838_thumb.p

post-57348-0-48041700-1432700900_thumb.p

post-57348-0-14944900-1432700956_thumb.p

Reply To Nick Cooper - Orbx Team

What you suggested about adding the full x64 path worked beautifully for me. Now have all of my Orbx sceneries installed and working in Steam Edition..

Planning to buy a few more by 5/30.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Auston

Sorry..I am out of ideas....I have no idea how to make two sims work on the same HD...I would never attempt it.....it looks to me that it can't find an install path and the correct registry entries because of the other sim installed?

Good Luck!

Cheers

Doug

Archived