Whatever happened to the rest of Alaska?

but also is it not a vast empty ice covered area?

Ha, definitely not.  Well, yes, I guess in the winter you could kind of say that.  But even the very northern coast thaws out for a while in the summer.  The interior has bright beautiful summers, I've seen Fairbanks pushing 100 degrees F.  There are mountain ranges many people have never heard of, volcanoes (active and not so active), several major rivers (Yukon, Kuskokwim, Tanana, Susitna, Copper), vast spruce forests, endless tundra (which has its own kind of special beauty, especially in the fall), literally a million lakes, and cabins, lodges, villages, and airports all over the place.  Well, 'all over the place' being relative.  And most villages are pretty small, with a couple hundred people, but still...

There is as much scenery up there as Orbx could possibly ever want to do.  Although there are large areas that flight simmers might not be that interested in, being very flat and repetitive for a looooong ways, Orbx's skill with immersion could make pretty much anywhere a great experience.  For these, I would be happy with just giving some of the airports and small strips the Orbx touch, which wouldn't require the years of detailed scenery development for large areas.

Archived