Backing up FSX.

Dadtom65

Hi all, Have never done this but as recently had to do a complete reinstall I think it might be time. As at the moment every thing is working fine, he says with fingers crossed. What software do I need and can I just make a copy of the main FSX folder or do I have to copy other stuff as well. I have plenty of space on other drives. Thank You Derek.

I have my FSX and Orbx on a dedicated SSD and have a duplicate copy of it in a folder on my hard drive.  I also have all of my Orbx installation files in another folder on my hard drive.

I recently did a complete reinstall after uninstalling everything on my SSD.  I reinstalled FSX on the SSD and then reinstalled my Orbx files instead of just copying them over.  But everything else I copied from the FSX backup (aircraft, non-Orbx scenery, etc).

Noel 

Visit the Acronis website.

You can make a complete clone of your system (free)on a USB external storage drive and just put it away for a rainy day.

I do that and then update it every couple of months or so, or more frequently depending on changes to my system.

Like all this shiny new ORBX drug floating around now at nice prices..........

Just a note.

I think that when you move things that interface with Windows around by the cut and paste method.....'tis not a good thing.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

This is correct as it won't move everything, you can compare the files before and after and their are always items missing and you cannot restore a lost system that easily as well. it is a bad method.

Your mention of Acronis is on the right track. Awesome system as it will backup and it has the restoration software readily available to restore when needed. I am an Acronis user as well that uses to mirror drives as well as weekly system backups and a copy of a freshly installed O/S with FSX and all addons. Basically all in one methods for backing up.

I think if you google search 'Acronis Coupon Code' you should be able to find a 40% to 60% off the three licence package voucher, I got 3 licences for $44 AUD that way

I said copy.  And I don't use the copy for restoring.    If I need to restore I start from scratch by first re-installing FSX and then reinstalling the Orbx sceneries.  I do copy things like aircraft that I have changed the panel.cfg files in and non-Orbx sceneries Pete and Sids Alaska scenery back to the new installation.

Noel

Hi Noel, Yes I meant copy. Bit confused as you said you had a copy Of FSX on another drive, but you don't use it for a reinstore. Why the copy ? . All so thanks every one else for your feedback. I do have FSX on a ssd drive, which is filling up, anybody have a spare ssd they don't want, CHEAP ? . All so I have all my Orbx downloads in separate folders as well. Don't really want to spend any more, spending enough at Flightsimstore as it is at the moment. Anyway actually installing FSX does not take to long, its the rest of the stuff. Cheer's Derek   

Here's what I do. These days I use Acronis True Image 2014 as Macrium Reflect wouldn't boot on my present computer. I have found Acronis to be pretty unreliable if you mess around with incremental backups but for simple image copies it works okay. I like that you can also mount an image as a virtual drive and browse it with Explorer to rescue individual files if you lose something specific.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltn_o-6o5zM

You might want to look at AOMEI Technology. They offer a freeware back up program. I'm a long-time Acronis user but I've used the free AOMEi product also - and it works as advertised. There are very limited options as compared to Acronis but just as a simple system backup process it's fine.

http://www.backup-utility.com/download.html

Doug

I have a copy in so I know what I actually had if my installation fails or I have to reinstall.  This is especially true for non-Orbx scenery and addon aircraft and my default aircraft with panels I have modified.

I have the room to store a copy, so why not?

More important is a backup file of all of your Orbx installation files.  Then if you have to reinstall one or more directly for your backup.  For instance; something happened to Sedona a couple of weeks ago where the entire airport was in trenches.  Re-running the configurator was no help.  So I searched for everything with KSEZ and deleted them.  Then reinstalled  Sedona directly from my Orbx installation files backup and everything was back to normal.

Noel  

+1 on the disk imaging programs. I use Shadowprotect Desktop. Expensive and not a lot of bells and whistles. But fast, rock solid and easy to use. Whatever is used, can save a lot of grief.

Archived