Upgrade to GTX 970?

Since Newegg is offering a pretty nice discount on this card and I've been considering an upgrade from my present GTX 770, what would be the advice from knowledgeable folk about the wisdom of upgrading to this new gpu?  Is there any benefit to an upgrade given I only fly FSX and do not play any other video games?

Thanks, Gents, for your advice.

Stew

Nothing wrong with the 770, and I can always spend the $$ on Orbx stuff, of course.  Just wondering if the upgrade would be worth it.

Stew

IMO if you're not struggling with the present one, save your money for an even better one next year or later.

I'm wondering if the improvements in gpus actually have any benefits when running FSX/P3D.

I'm wondering if the improvements in gpus actually have any benefits when running FSX/P3D.

You'll see more benefit in P3D than FSX, as it's better geared up for using GPUs, e.g. tessellation.  Also if you use triple monitors, you'll likely see more of an improvement than a single because of the RAM.  However, if it were me (on a single monitor), I wouldn't as I don't think the performance increase would be worth it, bearing in mind that good deals come around regularly, and if I wait I could doubtless get something better.

It's the concept of mid-life upgrades - at what point do you replace a piece of hardware for a better performer?  In this case I don't think it's a big enough leap and waiting will bear better fruit.  OTOH, if you've won the lottery and already have the gold bath taps, then why not? ;)

Since Newegg is offering a pretty nice discount on this card and I've been considering an upgrade from my present GTX 770, what would be the advice from knowledgeable folk about the wisdom of upgrading to this new gpu?  Is there any benefit to an upgrade given I only fly FSX and do not play any other video games?

Thanks, Gents, for your advice.

Stew

If you are running FSX DX9, the GPU benefit will be low, but if You are using FSX DX10 (what I do since 2,5 years) then you will improve framerates and will have a good opportunity to push some sliders one/two notches to the right.

Wulf

You'll see more benefit in P3D than FSX, as it's better geared up for using GPUs, e.g. tessellation.  Also if you use triple monitors, you'll likely see more of an improvement than a single because of the RAM.  However, if it were me (on a single monitor), I wouldn't as I don't think the performance increase would be worth it, bearing in mind that good deals come around regularly, and if I wait I could doubtless get something better.

It's the concept of mid-life upgrades - at what point do you replace a piece of hardware for a better performer?  In this case I don't think it's a big enough leap and waiting will bear better fruit.  OTOH, if you've won the lottery and already have the gold bath taps, then why not? ;)

Thanks, jabble.  Worthwhile advice.  I haven't won the lottery and decided against the gold bath taps when we remodeled the bathroom.  OTOH, Wulf's advice is worth considering, I think.

If you are running FSX DX9, the GPU benefit will be low, but if You are using FSX DX10 (what I do since 2,5 years) then you will improve framerates and will have a good opportunity to push some sliders one/two notches to the right.

Wulf

Thank you, Wulf.  That is good advice, since I do run FSX DX10, and being able to push a couple of sliders to the right is a good thing.

BTW, that's amazing that you are pushing a 55" LED tv with a GTX 680.  I wouldn't think it possible or practicable.

Stew

IMNSO opinion, I'd buy more ORBX stuff.  I don't you'll see that much difference. PG huh. Grew up in Monterey and got my PPL form Del Monte Aviation more years ago than I care to remember (1959). Sigh...for the good old days.....

Doug

IMNSO opinion, I'd buy more ORBX stuff.  I don't you'll see that much difference. PG huh. Grew up in Monterey and got my PPL form Del Monte Aviation more years ago than I care to remember (1959). Sigh...for the good old days.....

Doug

Thanks, Doug.  I appreciate your advice.  I'm not totally convinced there will be that much difference either, which is why I've posted the question.

If you haven't been back to the Peninsula in awhile, you probably wouldn't recognize it.  Huge changes--more people, more cars, crowded Hiway 1 at rush hour, to name a few.  But the area is still beautiful and we are retiring in place after 40 years at DLI.  Plus it gives the kids an excuse, as if they needed any, to come home and visit the parents.

Stew

I'm also considering an upgrade to the gtx 970 but from a gtx 460.  Using only FSX DX9, how much and what kind of improvement could I expect?  With the gtx 460 I generally get 30 fps, mostly GA flying.

Thanks, Gerry

I'm also considering an upgrade to the gtx 970 but from a gtx 460.  Using only FSX DX9, how much and what kind of improvement could I expect?  With the gtx 460 I generally get 30 fps, mostly GA flying.

Thanks, Gerry

Hi, Gerry. With your upgrade to the 970, I would expect some improvement, but more importantly, it might open up the possibility of running DX10.

Stew

Hi Stew,

I'm not really interested in going the DX10 route. Maybe at some point, I may spring for P3D and I know the 970 would be better.  What I was thinking was better anti aliasing and other settings in nvidia inspector?  Occasionally I get white texture flashing but otherwise the 460's performance has been satisfactory.  But maybe it is a case of I don't miss what I don't have because I don't know what I'm missing :wacko: 

Gerry   

Thanks, Doug.  I appreciate your advice.  I'm not totally convinced there will be that much difference either, which is why I've posted the question.

If you haven't been back to the Peninsula in awhile, you probably wouldn't recognize it.  Huge changes--more people, more cars, crowded Hiway 1 at rush hour, to name a few.  But the area is still beautiful and we are retiring in place after 40 years at DLI.  Plus it gives the kids an excuse, as if they needed any, to come home and visit the parents.

Stew

I left Monterey in 1964 but have been back a couple of times a year since. Just sold the last of the real estate out on HWY 68 in December so the annual trips are over. We're going to Carmel in September with a couple from here in Florida and I suspect that will be the our last trip your way. My heart will always be with the Peninsula. I even remember when the DLI was the ALS. Sigh...

Doug

i went from a 780 to a 970 just so i could go to maxwell, but i play first person shooters, with the ram isssue, you will only gain 500 mb of vram,i am not sorry i upgraded, i try to keep up with the current generation card and sell my old one on ebay, so in the long run, i paid half price for the 970.i am running a 4790k and for the first time in 2 years i am considering upgrading to the intel 6 core 5820k on a new build and sell my current parts.i look at computers like leasing a car,get rid of it every year and the value doesn't drop so much.good luck with your decision.

BTW, that's amazing that you are pushing a 55" LED tv with a GTX 680.  I wouldn't think it possible or practicable.

Stew

What exactly do you find "amazing" about that..? There's no difference whatsoever between that an a regular monitor, as both have the exact same 1080p resolution/number of pixels... The size of the scren doesn't matter.

What exactly do you find "amazing" about that..? There's no difference whatsoever between that an a regular monitor, as both have the exact same 1080p resolution/number of pixels... The size of the scren doesn't matter.

Gee, Walter, chill out.  I didn't realize a gpu designed for computer monitors could be used with a television, size notwithstanding.  :mellow:

Gee, Walter, chill out.  I didn't realize a gpu designed for computer monitors could be used with a television, size notwithstanding.  :mellow:

Ah, one of the benefits of the digital revolution!  If you have a modern TV, it will probably have one or more HDMI connectors at the back.  Most commonly this is used to connect Bluray players, PVRs, etc, but exactly the same technology allows you to connect a computer and use it as a big monitor.  I do it too from time to time, when there's folks around - flight simming with an audience!  Which means it's quite embarrassing when I crash.... ::)

GTX970/980 are great graphics cards and one of the cool features is the support HDMI 2.0, because it allows to have an insane 3840×2160 resolution at 60Hz on a 4K TV. And this TV can be used as conventional PC monitor, where you are sitting directly in front of it....4K should be an immersive experience with a wide angle view w/o flickering! Don´t forget to check HDMI 2.0 support capabilty and full colour mode from the favourite 4K TV.

Wulf

GTX970/980 are great graphics cards and one of the cool features is the support HDMI 2.0, because it allows to have an insane 3840×2160 resolution at 60Hz on a 4K TV. And this TV can be used as conventional PC monitor, where you are sitting directly in front of it....4K should be an immersive experience with a wide angle view w/o flickering! Don´t forget to check HDMI 2.0 support capabilty and full colour mode from the favourite 4K TV.

Wulf

Thanks for the update, Wulf.  I must mention, however, that a 55" tv is bigger than the desktop I currently have my setup mounted on:  monitor, stand and keyboard!  8)

Archived