KSQL San Carlos Shimmering Textures

andiflyit

Hi all,

this excellent scenery is one of the newest I have installed recently and it works well but I have 

a lot of shimmering and flickering textures when flying above. This are the taxiways and some outlines and shadows 

or buildings (cannot exactly determine it) at the airport and also some buildings outside. 

With some freeware in FS I solved such problems by loading the textures in the bitmap program and than save it again 

including mipmaps.

In this case of course I will not touch this and ask Ed Correia to find a solution please.

By the way: It's not my setup, I have more than 30 Orbx airports and overall only 4 buildings and 1 runway causing such a problem.

Cheers

Andreas

Hi Ed,

the mesh was on 70 % complexity and 10m resolution and is now on 100 % and 5m but no difference.

Have increased the anisotrop setting in the driver from 4 to 8, makes no difference.

If you and the others don't see this, what's going on there?

Last days I've been flying at a lot of other airports, this evening at KORS, and I have perfect rendered 

objects there.

In the driver the trilinear filtering is off and FSX is set to anisotrop because this works best since years for me. 

Antialiasing in the driver is set to "extend application settings" and 16 x csaa, which normally gives good results. 

One idea: I have the Ezdok camera utility running, do you know something about this creating such problems?

At this moment I fly all my aircraft using it, so it would be a little work to do a test without it.

Cheers

Andreas 

Hi Ed,

it's nothing to see when on the ground, all works well on the airport. It's my standard flight condition when I want to look at 

a scenery. I fly over it at 1500-3000 feet over ground and zoom a bit out. And view from outside in most cases.

May I ask a question that has nothing to do with this because I am just reading your computer specs:

Do you really recommend such a strong PSU? Mine is only 600W but this would not be a big thing to change that.   

Cheers

Andreas

Hi Ed,

thank you, didn't try this yet but I can do this next hours and will post the results later.

Another question  ^-^ : What kind of water management are they doing in this area of the bay? All those basins that can also be seen in your scenery?

Looks great. 

Cheers

Andreas 

Hi Andreas,

Those water bodies are evaporation ponds I believe.

I've been experimenting a bit tonight and I can force the flickering at around 4000ft, zoomed out and in outside view in FSX.

This is a known issue that does effect some FSX style groundolys when viewing at altitude. The groundpoly as KSQL is done via MCX's groundpoly wizard which is standard nowadays. 

The P3D version is compiled via the P3D SDK method and is not effected at all.

I'll do some more experimenting but cannot guarantee anything. My main concern is that you do not experience this whilst in virtual cockpit as well.

I think I may have a solution, extract this to the ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KSQL\Scenery folder & overwrite.

Scenery.zip

Hi Ed,

Thank you very much for your files. I've done a lot of testing now.

- Ezdok ist not the reason, does not make a difference.

- Tested without your meshfile and with the NCA-mesh deactivated, makes no difference. All reinstalled of course.

Than I jumped around to different locations in the sim and I have to admit that I have a little portion of flickering textures

from far away everywhere, so I changed the antialiasing setting in the driver from supersampling or so to standard.

Than I installed your 2 files, the Orbx_KSQL_GP_S.bgl was not in yet, the lib was overwritten.

And now I have really better results below 2000 feet, but not above.

I've now made 2 shots and I've marked it. You can see that there is a shadow along the complete taxiways and around a hangar,

this can also appear on other hangars and so or the fence and this causes the flickering, because on the other image you can see, it's different.

Sql_1klein.jpg

Sql_2klein.jpg 

I've  also done some rather nice "low and slow" shots of your very nice scenery and will upload these to the Community Screenshots in 2 hours or so.

This will be called "San Carlos in the morning".

Cheers

Andreas 

Hi Ed,

did some more flying now also using a Cessna and went up to 10.000 feet.

Between 6000 and 7000 the whole apron of the northside of the runway disappeared and than appeared again.

I am not so sure about my graphics card at this moment.

The six hangars seem to be better than the long one I marked on the sreenshot.

But: The shadows are not the mistake, the mistake is the shadows not being displayed.

This can be seen on a low topview screenshot I've just placed last minute in the April Screenshot Contest.

All shadows are there and look very good. So this must be a layer or a file which does not load proper.

As a computer professional, how do you manage it working with it the whole day? 

I get checkered eyes meanwhile.  :blink:

Cheers

Andreas

Hi again Ed,

I'll be off now until next Tuesday night, but I am still very interested in this thread here.

Had a short look over the MGX tool and the tutorial by Bill Womack. May be that certain layers containing some details of the ground

are not loaded properly from far away, where rather low and far away is the same as very high. It's the distance.

And what I want to clarify: Is this caused by the files or by my computer.

It's also a problem on my system that in all Orbx sceneries using marinas the boats disappear from 3000 feet on. And if an object appears and

disappears, than it flickers of course.

Thank you very much for your help at this moment.

Cheers

Andreas

If you do some searching at FSDeveloper of z-bias and flickering you'll get an idea of what issues it can cause.

All I can do is try to work on the files that produce the least amount of flickering. As to how it appears on a multitude of systems is beyond my expertise.

I'll try to have some file for you to test when you get back.

Hi Ed,

these files now do a lot. The shadows along the taxiways and around the hangars now stay permanent up to 10.000 feet 

and therefore it does not flicker anymore. 

From may point of view this can now be set to "resolved" and I would like to leave the scenery as it is now. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers

Andreas

Archived