I think I messed up this time

spinker

Hello,

Because I suspected that I had a virus I recentlly used my "malwarebyts-anti malware" to see if I could find any viruses that could be affecting my computer.

My FSX directory is an 1tb SSD drive. I have always run virus checkers on my C: drive only but this time for the first time I

included my FSX E: SSD drive.

I checked with the manufacturer of the SSD to be sure it was OK to do this they said no problem.

Results, disaster, all ORBX material was affected, loss of buildings, some airports below grade pretty much all files have been affected. I have numerous ORBX setup locations so I am familar with what should be showing at saved airports.

Does not seem to affect "non" ORBX files.

Is there a "refresh command" that could re-organize files back to where they should be?

Any suggestons you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Spinker

Hi

I have never defragged or checked for viruses on my E: SSD FSX drive. But because I was looking for potential viruses and I was told it would be OK I did.

I do believe it was the virus checker because when it was finished I went into FSX. and saw the problems.

I have all of ORBX products and I have saved situations for each one in a location showing as much detail as possible I knew what I should be seeing and

could tell right away something was wrong.

These seem to be my only options :

1. Hope there is some kind of refresh command to put whatever files that were compromised back in order.

2. Try system restore from a date before I ran the virus checker.

3. Re-install everything because if damage was done to scenery files it may have affected other files that would not show up right away. "worst choice".

I am hoping members might look at this and offer suggestions.

Anyody please help.

Thanks

Spinker

Hi spinker,

A virus or malware scan shouldn't impact any products installed unless it quarantined or removed files. We don't have any sort of refresh except to reinstall the libraries to correct core file issues.

Could you post screenshots of the issues?

Additional information I just found.

My FSX "world/scenery Library" All of my scenery areas have been deleted I had 983 listed all are gone except for 106 ORBX

areas listed.

My Scenery.cfg file is intact.

Spinker

Stu, I have run latest scenery libs, no change.

alex, I have only run the latest version of FTX Trees and then I ran the malwarebytes on my FSX E: SSD.I dont know what I could have done to cause this.

In FSX I still can call up my non ORBX files even though they are no longer listed in my world/scenery listing they still appear on my scenery.cfg file

I hope after 15 years or more my FSX life may be over,

Spinker

I hope after 15 years or more my FSX life may be over,

Spinker

Probably not what you want to hear but after 15 years your FSX will be slooow. Its a good time to embrace the opportunity for a fresh install and upgrade to Steam or P3D. Unless you use your windows for work and its highly customized then I would re install Windows as well and then your set with a faster system and another several years of hassle free flying

This nis what I am left with.

My Scenery.cfg originaly had 986 entrys it now has 106 entrys all ORBX files. I have re-installed one succesfully I will be trying others.

All of my non ORBX entrys in FSX worlds/scenery are gone but in FSX they are all runnng wiith no trouble even thoughj there is no listing of them in FSX world/scenery.

I have all of the scenery files saved in my FSX directory. I just dont know how to get them back into my FSX world/scenery directory.

I hope someone will have some suggestions. I was hopeing alex would come back but I have not heard from him yet.

Without some help i guess FSX will be gone

Sadly.

Spinker

"WOW" I cant believe it.

Everything is back,

After spending 3 days searching everywhere I found a saved scenery,cfg file that was identical to the scenery.cfg file that was used when this

problem started.

I deleted the current file which was incorrect and replaced it with new scenery.cfg that I just found, Fired up FSX and went into the scenery/world diretory and to my supprise.

everything was back.

You can consider this closed.

CAUTION when using Malwarebytes or other virus checkers with an SSD drive.

Spinker

Archived