Landclass Problem: Residential Estate between KLAX Rwys and Beach (P3d2.4)

wolfko

Hi Guys,

That's how my KLAX is currently looking. This just doesn't look right. I think last time I was here there was no urban landclass between the airport and the beach. Weren't there even kind of photoreal dunes with trails running across? 

I have the most up to date versions of Global and Vector Installed in P3d2.4.

If this belongs into the P3d2 Support Forum, please move it there. Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

KLAX.jpg

Hi Wolfgang,

there's currently no Orbx product that includes landclass placement files for the LA area so whatever you're seeing is either placed by the default worldlc.bgl or a or third-party landclass file. When I look at that area -- using Global Base and Vector -- there's a patch of dry open land instead of residential buildings between airport and beach. Perhaps you're using a landclass add-on for western North America?

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, even on Easter Sunday! I appreciate this very much!

No, I have no 3rd party landclass product for Western North America installed, with the exception of Tongass Fjords. Actually I have only ORBX products and Tongass Fjords plus a mesh for Austria installed in P3D2.

However FTX Central 2 reports the following 2 Open Landclass files for NA installed:

UNKNOWN

FTX_OLC_AA FTX openLC Base Region Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX_OLC_NA1 FTX openLC North America Region 1 Version 1.00 - September 2013

I have recognized these 2 files also in the scenery library before and always wondered what they are for.

Hi Wolfgang,

well, here's a "fun fact": it turns out that the default global landclass file in P3Dv2 is different from the one in FSX. I had only checked LAX in FSX but when I looked at the same location now in P3Dv2 I also saw the suburban area between beach and airport; the difference is there even with all Orbx entries deactivated. Loading the two worldlc.bgl files from \Scenery\Base\scenery into TMFViewer.exe confirmed that there are local differences.

Regarding FTX_OLC_AA and FTX_OLC_NA1: the former corrects some global issues with the default landclass (I seem to remember something about tropical forests) and the latter makes changes to the Colorado Plateau area of the southwestern US (essentially a first step towards openLC NA). In any case neither of those entries affect the LA area.

Cheers, Holger

Archived