Hybrid Mode...puzzled...exactly WHAT does this mode render?!?

Orbx Flyer

Ok...I want to fly between a 'fat' region, and standard FTX Global.  For instance, flying through the middle of the whole state of California, from the border with Mexico...right up and past San Francisco.  Now..for the moment, KSAN (San Diego) is not included in any fat region (yes..I know that Southern California is coming, but not yet...)

So...exactly HOW does the Hybrid Mode work...to allow you to fly between fat and 'lean'.  How is Hybrid Mode different in the display, of just having N.A. in play and flying over fat and lean?  Why does one want to run in Hybrid Mode? I have never used this setting, but will if there is something much needed to use it....

The advice of any Hybrid Mode runners...would be appreciated for an explanation of WHAT is displayed differently, when in this setting/mode.

Ok...I want to fly between a 'fat' region, and standard FTX Global.  For instance, flying through the middle of the whole state of California, from the border with Mexico...right up and past San Francisco.  Now..for the moment, KSAN (San Diego) is not included in any fat region (yes..I know that Southern California is coming, but not yet...)

So...exactly HOW does the Hybrid Mode work...to allow you to fly between fat and 'lean'.  How is Hybrid Mode different in the display, of just having N.A. in play and flying over fat and lean?  Why does one want to run in Hybrid Mode? I have never used this setting, but will if there is something much needed to use it....

The advice of any Hybrid Mode runners...would be appreciated for an explanation of WHAT is displayed differently, when in this setting/mode.

If you're flying at 35,000 ft, I don't imagine you'll see any difference.  If you're flying low and slow, I think you'll see some, and, as I understand it, Hybrid allows for some compromise on the quality of the scenery in the transition from a full region into an "non-full" region (or vice-versa), without having to stop the sim and switch regions.  For instance, I would run Hybrid if I were flying from KTVL South Lake Tahoe and into Nevada on a trip to Vegas.  By doing so, the transition from the NCA full region to a "lean" region is less jarring, and not that noticeable.  I can see where the transition point is (the desert makes it easy to see), but not a big deal really.

Stew

If you're flying at 35,000 ft, I don't imagine you'll see any difference.  If you're flying low and slow, I think you'll see some, and, as I understand it, Hybrid allows for some compromise on the quality of the scenery in the transition from a full region into an "non-full" region (or vice-versa), without having to stop the sim and switch regions.  For instance, I would run Hybrid if I were flying from KTVL South Lake Tahoe and into Nevada on a trip to Vegas.  By doing so, the transition from the NCA full region to a "lean" region is less jarring, and not that noticeable.  I can see where the transition point is (the desert makes it easy to see), but not a big deal really.

Stew

Thanks, Stew...so it is used to ease a 'jarred/mismatched' look in the scenery level-of-detail transition?  Ok...I'll give it a go, and see if I can tell any difference between the high-carb and the low-carb, lol.   at the point where the two meet up.

Thanks, Stew...so it is used to ease a 'jarred/mismatched' look in the scenery level-of-detail transition?  Ok...I'll give it a go, and see if I can tell any difference between the high-carb and the low-carb, lol.   at the point where the two meet up.

The master himself, Mr. Sandman, has said so....... 8)

When I first started my FTX collection last year, I too wondered how these settings worked, and which I should use. Coolgovind180's linked thread pretty much says it with the rooftop changes, but there was a very a clear explanation from an ORBX dev that helped me almost instantly.

I'm afraid I forget who it was, and I can't find the post, but I'll do my best to recap.

The main thing affected was certain regional textures used. Like the aforementioned roof types, and trees, etc.....which differ in North America, Europe, and Oceania. So when is the right time to use hybrid ?

You should use hybrid when you cross from one region to another, with one of the regions being "fat". So if you are flying from New York to London, or Berlin to Sydney, you would want Hybrid activated.

If you are not crossing regions, it is best to select that region. So if you are flying from Lake Tahoe to Vegas (as in the earlier post in this thread) then you should select North America, because Vegas is in North America, so you don't have to worry about matching European rooftops, etc.

The same would go for a trip from Norway to Berlin. Both fall under Europe, so there is no worry of the wrong type of tree or roof being used. It is also supposed to give a better regional experience. Hybrid mode uses more "non-specific" trees that can be spread over the entire world, to avoid

crossover effect, so you don't find, say, certain rare types of palm trees in Canada.....but you also wouldn't find them where they are supposed to be...you would only see the basic "mix-and-match" of trees everywhere.  I think I've made the answer longer than I wanted. Sooo.....

To try to compress the answer....if you fly from one region to another, only in non-fat areas, then set it to global. If you fly in only one region, both fat and "lean", then set it to that region. If you fly from one region to another, including a full-fat region, set it to hybrid.

So that last sentence with the compressed answer is basically what the dev had said in the post, but they said it so much better. I did my best, hope it helps.

Archived