Blurry taxiways and line markings virtually unreadable.

Matt_B_1978

As the title suggests, my taxiways at YMML and YBBN look as if they are made of dirt - no discernible edges, no look of it being made of ashphalt, they look as though they're just dirt taxiways. The same goes for the line markings, which appear for a little while then when I start moving to a different part of the apron, they go blurry and unreadable. I've tried tweaking using Nick's tweaks from Flight1 and they work great at other airports such as YCFS and the freeware airports like YMLT. It's just Melbourne and Brissy that just seem to not work very well for me. I changed my TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 to being TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048. Should I try making it 4096? I've also got TextureMaxLoad=30 and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 in the fsx.cfg. Are these settings correct, can I improve on them? I've set up NVidia Inspector per Ryan's recommendations from PMDG as well.

Would there be any benefit to me changing TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048 to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 at all?

As I understand it, changing to 4096 only helps if you have photo real scenery (This is recommended by MegaScenery Earth docs).  Otherwise, in most cases, you suffer a fps hit.

As I understand it, changing to 4096 only helps if you have photo real scenery (This is recommended by MegaScenery Earth docs).  Otherwise, in most cases, you suffer a fps hit.

Isn't the problem with both YMML and YBBN that all the apron detail etc. is depicted by photoreal tiles (as opposed to the more usual ground/taxiway textures)? In which case 4096 may help, but I still don't think you'll get the definition you're after.

Adam.

I've tried everything I can think of - still can't get the taxiways and aprons to show up correctly as in the advertising screenshots. Other airports are fine - pay and freeware, including Coffs Harbour and Canberra. But Brisbane and Melbourne are atrocious from this one perspective. The runways are fine - the taxiways and aprons are crap.

Hi Matt,

Although we don't know specifically how you have FTX Aero, FSX and your Nvidia Graphics setup, there are still some things you should check or try. Some daytime pictures may help determine what your YMML taxiways look like. But above all don't test a scenario at dawn or dusk, this will increase the load on your system. I don't recommend using heavy load 4096 TML settings, 2048 are perfectly suitable and can be set using FTX Aero.  

• In your YMML control panel, uncheck higher level options like GSE 2&3, Landside Industry, Cars, etc...etc....  to give your system a better chance to load this highly detailed YMML airport, you can reapply these gradually if your system can cope or you need them to be present no matter what.
  • In FTXCentral  select tools > FTX Aero > in aero menu > select TML setting > in lock my TML  check 2048 > then in  change my TML back to 1024 when not using 2048 runway click to apply this. Or via the AERO icon on your desktop.
  • Also in FTX Aero, select Detail Bump Map Course  or Cracked if you like that better. Then in Runway 18 Texture select  2048x2048. Then for Taxiway Markings select Yellow & Black. Click the green Apply button in the Aero panel.
  • In FSX settings > Customize > Graphics, make sure you have "Anisotropic" selected & Antialasing checked.
  • In FSX settings > Customize > Scenery > make sure you have "Land Detail Textures" checked and Autogen Density Set to "Normal" and also set  7cm Texture Resolution.
  • The use of Nvidia Inspector can help your FSX graphics overriding the FSX defaults (Highly Recommended). If you have NVI then make sure FSX profile has "Anisotropic Filtering Setting" set "x16", and your "Texture Filtering" is set to "High Quality".  If you don't yet have NVI then you can set these up via Nvidia Control Panel.

Hi Matt,

Although we don't know specifically how you have FTX Aero, FSX and your Nvidia Graphics setup, there are still some things you should check or try. Some daytime pictures may help determine what your YMML taxiways look like. But above all don't test a scenario at dawn or dusk, this will increase the load on your system. I don't recommend using heavy load 4096 TML settings, 2048 are perfectly suitable and can be set using FTX Aero.  

• In your YMML control panel, uncheck higher level options like GSE 2&3, Landside Industry, Cars, etc...etc....  to give your system a better chance to load this highly detailed YMML airport, you can reapply these gradually if your system can cope or you need them to be present no matter what.

In FTXCentral  select tools > FTX Aero > in aero menu > select TML setting > in lock my TML  check 2048 > then in  change my TML back to 1024 when not using 2048 runway click to apply this. Or via the AERO icon on your desktop.

Also in FTX Aero, select Detail Bump Map Course  or Cracked if you like that better. Then in Runway 18 Texture select  2048x2048. Then for Taxiway Markings select Yellow & Black. Click the green Apply button in the Aero panel.

In FSX settings > Customize > Graphics, make sure you have "Anisotropic" selected & Antialasing checked.

In FSX settings > Customize > Scenery > make sure you have "Land Detail Textures" checked and Autogen Density Set to "Normal" and also set  7cm Texture Resolution.

The use of Nvidia Inspector can help your FSX graphics overriding the FSX defaults (Highly Recommended). If you have NVI then make sure FSX profile has "Anisotropic Filtering Setting" set "x16", and your "Texture Filtering" is set to "High Quality".  If you don't yet have NVI then you can set these up via Nvidia Control Panel.

Thanks for that, Jeff. I just have a quick question regarding AA. I was under the impression if it's enabled in NVI, it should be disabled in the FSX settings. Is this correct, or is it better to have it enabled in both places?

Hi Matt,

With regards to "Antialasing" AA, I think that depends on other factors, but I have mine set "checked" in FSX with no adverse effect (So mine is set in both Places). Quite possibly the reason was so that my Free flight "spinning aircraft" particularly the cable strands on the "default Trike" looked perfect & not jaggy.

My NVI AA setting is - 8xSQ [combined: 2x2 SS + 2xMS]  - With "Antialasing behaviour Flag"  set to "None" - and  "Antialasing Mode" set to "Override Any Application Setting"  These special override settings are not available in Nvidia Control Panel.

Indecently, If you have NVI you should set "Anisotropic Filtering Mode" to "User-defined / Off"  with 16x Anisotropic filtering.

I think you are trying to squeeze your system to more than it is capable of :

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-870 processor (2.93GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 8MB Cache)... OS: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)... Monitor: Dell ST2320L 23”W Full HD Monitor with LED... RAM: 12GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2X4GB/2X2GB)... HDD: 2TB (1TBx2) SATA RAID 0 (Data Striping)... CD Drive: Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability... Video Card: 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460... Sound: Integrated high definition 7.1 channel audio... Other: Saitek X52 Joystick/Throttle

but for the sake of the argument I went over there and took some screenies as well, trying to catch the same angle as you did plus a few more and to add to the VAS load I've used the PMDG 777 and maximised all options in the CP

ybbn_001.jpg

ybbn_002.jpg

ybbn_003.jpg

ybbn_004.jpg

ybbn_005.jpg

ybbn_006.jpg

so looking at my screenies and looking at yours ...............well yes the lines aren't crystal sharp, they never where and most likely never will be as that trickles down to the image used and there is a trade off as to what is possible within fsX or P3D for that matter

Hi Matt,

Ok I have looked at the example shot of YBBN in the link - (pic4 top row right - international Gate 80 I believe). I have compared this with yours and my own sim, your pic is of a lower resolution and definitely grainer, but I would put this down to hardware performance limitation or that you have made the wrong selection in YBBN CPL.  Check out my comparison shots below.

Had some lingering computer issues of my own, from yesterdays Norton debarkle  and got a problem halfway through posting. took some time to work out and get back to your topic. 

Wolter, posted more or less what I was going to post, but I totally agree with his assessment other than trying out "FSX Ground Poly (default)" as an option in your YBBN control Panel. 

Having looked at these pictures - I'm guessing that you have selected in YBBN Control Panel "Photoreal Ground Textures"  instead you should choose "FSX Ground Poly (Default)" choose this one for sharper apron/taxiway markings. You can choose the + StaticAirliners variant if you wish.

YBBN has been discussed many times in this forum as a heavy load on PC Hardware resources, and because of this PC's on the lower end of the spectrum will struggle to display crisp sharp moving textures at flyable framerates, even the highest end PC's will struggle with such detail. Even my system with FSX must have some elements excluded or reduced in detail such as YBBN. That is just how it is with FSX in DX9 unfortunately. There are some performance gains however with FSX DX10 SteveParsons Fixer or P3D through graphics offset and DX10 DX11.

Have you read through your "YBBN user guide.pdf"  (with regard to performance expectations and setups.) Without being rude your PC is on the lower end Performance wise.

Are you up-to-date with your Service Packs for YBBN 1.20 & 1.21.

f7089024e58a9261b3d6a964620f449f.jpg

01dc2128a1980bcec62662d32c32b2e7.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Matt,

Ok I have looked at the example shot of YBBN in the link - (pic4 top row right - international Gate 80 I believe). I have compared this with yours and my own sim, your pic is of a lower resolution and definitely grainer, but I would put this down to hardware performance limitation or that you have made the wrong selection in YBBN CPL.  Check out my comparison shots below.

Had some lingering computer issues of my own, from yesterdays Norton debarkle  and got a problem halfway through posting. took some time to work out and get back to your topic. 

Wolter, posted more or less what I was going to post, but I totally agree with his assessment other than trying out "FSX Ground Poly (default)" as an option in your YBBN control Panel. 

Having looked at these pictures - I'm guessing that you have selected in YBBN Control Panel "Photoreal Ground Textures"  instead you should choose "FSX Ground Poly (Default)" choose this one for sharper apron/taxiway markings. You can choose the + StaticAirliners variant if you wish.

YBBN has been discussed many times in this forum as a heavy load on PC Hardware resources, and because of this PC's on the lower end of the spectrum will struggle to display crisp sharp moving textures at flyable framerates, even the highest end PC's will struggle with such detail. Even my system with FSX must have some elements excluded or reduced in detail such as YBBN. That is just how it is with FSX in DX9 unfortunately. There are some performance gains however with FSX DX10 SteveParsons Fixer or P3D through graphics offset and DX10 DX11.

Have you read through your "YBBN user guide.pdf"  (with regard to performance expectations and setups.) Without being rude your PC is on the lower end Performance wise.

the ybbn cpl seemd to fix what i need to get fixed with ymml but i cant find a ymml cpl that has the option between photoreal ground textures and fsx ground poly. I take it there are no option for this in ymml? I cant live the blurry taxi markings and in fact blurry markings all over. I will shelfe ymml and buy no more cause the ymml v2 looks terrible, the blurry markings makes me not wanna land here :))

Hi Matt,

the ybbn cpl seemd to fix what i need to get fixed with ymml but i cant find a ymml cpl that has the option between photoreal ground textures and fsx ground poly. I take it there are no option for this in ymml? I cant live the blurry taxi markings and in fact blurry markings all over. I will shelfe ymml and buy no more cause the ymml v2 looks terrible, the blurry markings makes me not wanna land here :))

Bob12,

"Piggy-backing" your question onto this thread is not liable to get your concerns answered very quickly.  I would suggest you start a new thread.

And you are correct--the control panel for ymml has no option for photoreal textures or ground poly.

Archived