KSEA frame rate

plicpriest1

Hello all,

I just purchased FTX PNW and it is absolutly amazing! I am absolutly blown away by how great it looks. One thing I do notice though is around KSEA my framerates plumet (5fps).

I have the autogen set to 'very dense'. This works well on my machine everywhere else. At first I figure that it is because of my autogen setting. After all seattle has alot of buildings. But then I flew over downtown portland (freeware addon). Lots of buildings there too. No signifigant hits to my frame rates. Every now and again I might loose 1-2 frames, but that was not common.

So my question is what is causing my loss of frames in the vicinity of KSEA, and what to do about it? Oh and I know your going to ask, I did try to reduce my autogen incrementally. I still could not get great frame rates.

Again this scenery is absolutly amazing! As soon as I get some $$$ Global, Vector and all of the NA scenerys are next. 8)

Thank you for your time

Brian

Side note, this isnt a "problem" for me, but I didnt want to post it somewhere else.

Hi there Brian,

And welcome to the forum, The issue you describe is a well known one (Hotspot). As you can imagine the area around KSEA has a vast amount of autogen, combined with many other airports in the immediate vicinity, all vying for system resources. 

The recommendation would be to minimise the amount of AI traffic, set Autogen to Normal, & set airfield service vehicles to none. The other thing that will definitely impact FPS in the area is a Dawn or Dusk flight, because 2 sets of textures need to be loaded for the time of day as it changes from one scenario to the other.

If you have increased your LOD_radius  in FSX.cfg,  (above "Large" 4.500000 ), this too can cause FPS to plummet, I personally have a LOD_Radius of 6.500000 and also note significant FPS loss in the area around KSEA depending on TOD and other impacting sim elements. You could experiment with your LOD_Radius @ 4.500000  / 5.000000 / 5.500000 / 6.000000 / 6.500000 to see where you and your system are happiest with regards to Autogen draw distance.

Please also make sure you have FTX PNW patched to the latest Service packs and OrbxLibrary here:https://www.fullterrain.com/support

You can check your FTX versions Patches/Service Packs, by going into FTXCentral Menu > Tools > Reports > FTXProductsInstalled

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. I did try almost all of those things. I just played with the LOD. Not much good. Im afraid I am at my computors limits. Ive got several tweaks to get fsx to run more efficiantly. So at this point I guess it comes down to cold hard cash. Though one more thought. While I played with the LOD, about the only thing I noticed change was the distance of the ground texture. The autogen appeared unaffected. Is there a direct way to control that? In otherwords tell fsx not to draw autogen at a certain distance? I figured that was what the LOD was for, but I didnt notice any differance (maybe im just blind).

Thank you

Brian

Hi there Brian,

If you can provide your system specs, that might reveal just how close to the limit your computer actually is and its potential. Also what kinds of tweaks are you using in FSX.cfg, how much Antialasing & Texture_Max_Load, ( could you copy your config text and post it here) that may also be revealing what burden the system is under. 

I must confess I know little about AMD processors or Radeon graphics so I hope you are running an Intel + Nvidia spec machine.

KSEA and the surrounding Seattle area has always been a heavy load area, even a system with top level hardware will still struggle in FSX DX9 mode, with DX10 Fixer will struggle less and possibly P3D even less still. But alas this is all subjective if you are overstressing your system to achieve high frames around KSEA.

One of the biggest FPS hits in the Seattle area are the dockside cranes. These are models that shipped with the original FSX but for some reason, they are not very well optimized by Microsoft and the combination of heavy urban area, complex terrain, multiple airports and multiple dockside cranes will bring any system to its knees, no matter how powerful.

One way to "remove" the cranes is to set your "Scenery Complexity" slider one notch lower... it will of course affect other things like airports, but for flying in Seattle, it should help.

As for LOD radius, it affects how far away the autogen is drawn from your position... obviously, the larger the radius, the more autogen gets drawn which demands more resources. y

You'll probably notice more of a difference at Night as this setting also affects the Night lighting distance too...

Hello all,

Here is my config file. I hope this isnt too big to post here. Anyways here we go!

// This file was tweaked on Feb 11, 2015 at 18:45 GMT using Bojote's automated FSX Tweaking & Tuning Service
// Your 'original' fsx.CFG file was backed up at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx/1c1b078f16bbbc3dbe4d797946e9aa4e/backup/fsx_backup.cfg
// This file is optimized as follows: 4 core(s), CPU speed 1, HT 0, GPU 4, PREF 2
// You can visit Bojote's FSX Tweaking & Tuning service at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+.0]
Mode=1600x1024x32
AntiAlias=1
TriLinear=1
[bufferPools]
RejectThreshold=131072
[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=0
[sOUND]
AmbientUI=0
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
SOUND=1
SOUND_LOD=0
SOUND_QUALITY=2
UISound=1
VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
SOUND_FADER1=0.500000
SOUND_FADER2=0.500000
SOUND_FADER3=0.500000
SOUND_FADER4=0.840000
AmbientUIMusic=FSX01
[slewTextInfo.1]
AirSpeed=1,5
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
[AContain]
LabelColor=FFFF0000
LabelDelay=1000
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabels=0
ShowUserLabel=0
[ATC]
AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1
COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840
COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00
COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6
COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF
COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B
PilotVoice=0
ShowATCText=1
UsePilotVoice=1
[TextInfo.1]
AirSpeed=1,5
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
[AccelerationPack]
ControlsFirstRun=0
HomePageFirstRun=0
[iNTERNATIONAL]
ASLAT=2
ASLON=1
MEASURE=0
[CONTROLS]
Controls_Current=Standard
Controls_Default=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
[FACILITIES]
CITY=
COUNTRY=
GTL_BUTTON=1244
STATE=
[TextInfo.3]
AirSpeed=1,5
Altitude=1,3
FrameRate=2,1
FuelPercentage=2,4
GForce=2,3
Heading=1,4
Latitude=1,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
Longitude=1,2
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0
[GRAPHICS]
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
D3D10=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
NUM_LIGHTS=8
See_Self=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
Text_Scroll=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672
[TrafficManager]
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0
AirlineDensity=0
FreewayDensity=0
GADensity=0
IFROnly=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=5
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=6
[DynamicHeadMovement]
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
[REALISM]
AllowEngineDamage=True
AutoCoord=True
AutoTrim=False
CrashDetection=True
CrashTolerance=1.000000
CrashWithDyn=False
GEffect=True
General=0.560000
GyroDrift=True
GyroEffect=0.590000
ManualLights=True
PFactor=0.590000
RealMixture=True
StressDamage=True
Torque=0.600000
TrueAirspeed=False
UnlimitedFuel=False
[Weather]
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=5
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
DisableTurbulence=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DynamicWeather=0
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MaxGustTime=500
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
MaxVarTime=50
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MinGustTime=10
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MinVarTime=5
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
TurbulenceScale=1.000000
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
[Misc]
Com_Rate=7
[Main]
HideMenuFullscreen=1
HideMenuNormal=0
Location=440,130,1480,908,\\.\DISPLAY1
Maximized=1
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
ProcSpeed=5962
PerfBucket=7
[Trusted]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C2_Cabin_alt.GAU.bbtqzhznqazenecelruhcqhbqtnqbhwnqueorqnb=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CarSound_C2.DLL.leurbkialulanzaibtwbtulzwniunrwaehhnwuak=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\S550_CE550.DLL.toozuuhkozaqclkcelewuautqaeorwqbzwnziizt=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Radio_R66.DLL.uubbuzkteakcqcehcwktohbcqwkunbuicilelrrr=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\ALASound_R66.DLL.bozqrubnwqwhbkcnohbowzkbiaibnnbheokuiuah=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\ALAR66.DLL.kkohctctlqztleowbokrlrbhueuaqhbiobluzneo=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\feelThere PIC E195\panel\EJet.GAU.woolltrlbrnkztqlnbioeqcucirbtzqtchbebbeh=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\FSWXR2100.GAU.zzhbezkhqeioequlrocbaohtcnrtqwohtobkzark=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\EFinfo_emb.GAU.wtwaliqzbhaaziawhaiquqwneocotqtwtnqcqneb=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG0.GAU.wakhbrnnalqniaewaloowqeaeuewbiokhtbznubq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG1.GAU.ebriwunatliokuleiutlqwobrbqbbbaizolqzbrw=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRGVFR.GAU.borautuihqrzzqurctarlrhnbhzerekcqaezkqtb=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG4.GAU.cnooqnqaiwrrblzquuzreohhabetouitoonnclhw=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG6.GAU.lakccctzlaeilcwailhnbzqqrwulclzauwnzallq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG2.GAU.ouzrluhlctawnhlekkaokrutalrzqqrikealuuok=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRGRadios.GAU.koobtkritkrlwbihbucatentblznlebtqeqblznh=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG3.GAU.lnizkhkzibhkabulunzwkeohoekeihnnuttilera=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG7.GAU.hatihetbwhwkqzralzkulhbnzzbhkbwlcwthkbuh=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRGM.GAU.lezuqtzwzcnknzhtoceaoioowziabhucrziwcabe=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CessnaRG5.GAU.nonucbbrnlqtrnztbatzqolwrlqtlqazceabntaw=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA34V_G600.DLL.zkthiwuicrzewrbzebbaklnahcukrqtarkeilbwk=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CARSound_PA34V.DLL.kteowznhtqhtzhalbcbinubctibuihbcraihqkoq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Radio_PA34V.DLL.hloorbnwiiuhbibtrakrkqeuiwzbbohnikciiene=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182Q0.GAU.oehklwnazqkhrozunbkbreqokiizwzilbolkbiew=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182Q1.GAU.izwwanbetqrnwbuothbzlqqknirhctruaarubbtu=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182QVFR.GAU.ttkutwhotcthhblqittzelbawuzeiqkwiliouniu=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182Q4.GAU.eolrwoqloiacoocietqqlaurahwiqazbbiwrawbw=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182Q6.GAU.uiueonriwzkiuqwwnowqrchkqkzehikwrorboczw=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182Q2.GAU.oeillztbatuazehkwcqakcackirtqwbzrkanrwua=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182QRadios.GAU.knteatlciweabcrnonwkeuwbohoahuurzcncwoui=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182Q3.GAU.rleuuiuahreqaoiouzwwarwrkanqitbchzqoeoit=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182Q7.GAU.qzacroaqreezaoezihehzlauibeecrhbqkuclrul=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna182QM.GAU.llwnquqookkethibkhtnrhhtuutzhuhzikcwntrz=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA34S1.GAU.rtkznbbwarikubhzzkzeloekoaulocrrlczlwlhu=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA34S2.GAU.rlqlkqreinerlrquihaucheotuzklauoqcqwkuqz=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA34S4.GAU.kttkukuurrcoiokbebohnooltnluoowoqlebblnl=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA34S3.GAU.clzzqwttnucuabqikcekbiakuhizbuocnbbcthcc=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CARTBM850_G1000.DLL.uqbeehizobazenazwelbkzarblorwebrwazaunla=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\CarSound_TBM850.DLL.tetrriouwtquzzrwqtqnzckkikroikihzhuonahc=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\TBM850_Cabin_alt.GAU.bbtqzhznqazenecelruhcqhbqtnqbhwnqueorqnb=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\feelThere PIC E175\panel\EJet.GAU.woolltrlbrnkztqlnbioeqcucirbtzqtchbebbeh=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C18525.GAU.knteatlciweabcrnonwkeuwbohoahuurzcncwoui=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C1851.GAU.oalzoiacqialbittoaoroclzwltlicrirnqtrzww=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\FeelThere ERJ135LR v2\panel\ERJ_mainX.GAU.rhqaoezeoeokzltqwwbhkozlinebzceharhbokcc=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\FeelThere ERJ135LR v2\panel\erjchklstx.GAU.nhlkhqtzbathroalqlewcbwoqcaouutoonouqiaq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\BonF331.GAU.kttkukuurrcoiokbebohnooltnluoowoqlebblnl=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\BonF332.GAU.tkzbtqhrrzkkortiqhcawqwileznlwlkurlrzwwu=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.ehtzkaoukintcqhtakaolbzabckeqikaoonwqiwc=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\RadioC114.DLL.qhaewikwiwrqqqhtowhiaznbtlblaeeurlieokao=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\AC111.DLL.ruhatalontehbnintqkroraceobnclbohhrenwak=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA28ARCHER2.GAU.qbeucahtechzokzeouwhaarrhrbehckhkclnzuic=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA28ARCHER3.GAU.uoklwrlazizbczqqbbnrqthtwzkhbhikczutzoah=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\PA28ARCHER4.GAU.kttkukuurrcoiokbebohnooltnluoowoqlebblnl=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C3401.GAU.eioztibzrqbqubeueoeuwobqtzqolhblrwbtatoa=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\WX_Gauge340.DLL.wburzntztnnbaaabktiwieikelbtqzkioknbqhrq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C340PRESS.GAU.bbtqzhznqazenecelruhcqhbqtnqbhwnqueorqnb=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C340PRESS2.DLL.lcenukkoluewrkqbtcituaqqnhbazbwhawchwbbq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C3403.GAU.aewneeecirhaouzquouorrlnnbeueectothnhqae=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\C3402.GAU.wzztztkqalcukobnqzikezehbtczihzaihlclaro=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\RadioADF.GAU.kruzlqkhtacrwlincwnuwizzlzohnilncrewlwkb=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20F0.GAU.hcworboqirzhtaeiwzhobrirkikqtenhwearebiw=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20F1.GAU.iiaohnqlwaqqttlzockulwitclrhnicnehikukqc=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20F2.GAU.rlazlqhwuiurenbihrtoizonzhchqcworbebhnhu=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\RadioMoney.GAU.eokabzabbicialirenuqbrthoqwtrbzztltrcbcq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20F3.GAU.cuozqcuawaneicqknhwrhbrnroeraqrkbzbwwktt=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20F4.GAU.hwhutzwoanrweubqqbhtokihohzrlhqiktwkntea=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20FVFR.GAU.bqlkunkkenkehknirqlrzhnrqrbzbaeoltlwooin=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20F7.GAU.ubhuinqheorwcioolibazqcebwqtautqababocrq=2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Money20FM.GAU.ntwaktitziaoatraocbawnlhwzwaohluwblnnaew=2
[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
FuelPercentage=1,4
GForce=1,3
LockedFrameRate=1,2
[uSERINTERFACE]
Map_Orientation=2
OpenATCOnCreate=0
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
PageID=1
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0
SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM
SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
SelectAircraftPublisher=ORBX
SelectAircraftType=All
ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1
DisplayFuelAsWeight=0
[sIM]
SYSCLOCK=1
[Display]
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
ChangeTime=4.000000
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
TextureMaxLoad=12
TransitionTime=4.000000
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=12
WideViewAspect=False
[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14
[slewTextInfo.3]
AirSpeed=1,5
Altitude=1,3
FrameRate=2,1
Heading=1,4
Latitude=1,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
Longitude=1,2
[PANELS]
DEFAULT_VIEW=0
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
QUICKTIPS=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0
[sTARTUP]
DEMO=0
LoadWindow=1
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1
STARTUP_DEMO=
[slewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
[TERRAIN]
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
WATER_EFFECTS=7
[sCENERY]
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
LENSFLARE=0
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3
SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0
[MAPVIEW_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=1
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_flight_history=1
[FlightPlanMap]
LineWidth=2
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=1
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_waypoints=1
show_airways=1
show_markers=1
show_volume_boundaries=1
show_ac_twr=1
[MULTIPLAYER]
condAccoutPassword=0
VoiceVolume=1.680000

Give me a minute and I will post my system specs in my signiature.

One more thing, Rob Newman- you know me from outside of FSX. If your the guy im thinking of, we did a few standups together to KROA! Yup im still at C5

If you are running your i7 920 at 2.67 GHz you can ake an instant improvement by overclocking to 4GHz, or thereabouts.  I have mine set to 3.8 GHz though it runs reliably at 4GHz.

Unless you have a brand name computer which is locked, of course.

You need to purchase a good cooling fan for your CPU, I use a Noctua but there are plenty of choices.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard and the guide for overclocking can be found here:g http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10827/gigabyte_shows_how_to_overclock_i7_920_cpu_to_4ghz/index.html

If you have another motherboard you can Google for guides on how to overclock for your own.

It scares a lot of people but if you carefully follow the steps involved and don't go all out for the top overclock speed straight up you shouldn't have any problems.  Just learn where the motherboard BIOS reset button or jumper contacts are.

Finally, is that monitor resolution the recommended setting for your monitor?  Most decent monitors nowadays have 1920 x 1080 as the native resolution and lower settings can actually slow them down, especially with the video card you have.

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I think your suspicions are correct, your computer is "at its limits". It is a case of your hardware not being able to cope with the demands placed upon it.

I would agree however with John Dow that in order to squeeze any potential out of your system as it is, you will need to find a better CPU cooler and overclock CPU to 4.0Ghz,  2.65Ghz just won't cut the mustard I'm sorry to say.

(Caveat) Considering the age and possible work your processor has performed over the years in terms of (Cycles/Operations) I would advise against Overclocking as this will stress the CPU no matter what cooler you attach.

Below I list a few modifications (Please make a backup copy of your Bojote - FSX.cfg for safe keeping) then make these adjustments if you wish.

I have had a read through your FSX.cfg & system specs,  was hoping for something glaringly obvious in there somewhere. IMHO your system specs are on the low side which means "Very Dense" Autogen  =4 as you have it set, will be an FPS killer. The FSX.cfg is mostly "sound" with standard tweaks with regards the age of the hardware.

I do however note you have capped your "UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=12" this is unusual, "25" would be better allowing your GPU to stretch its legs a fraction.

Also noted that you have AffinityMask=14 which excludes one of your processor Cores from processing textures, you could change this to AffinityMask=15 to allow processing from all 4 cores.

Your Graphics Card is also very much on the limited side as well, GTX9800 with only 512Mb.

As you said in post #3 "Cold hard cash", at this point it really does come down to spending some dollars on a new system, One that can cope with the demands of FSX without the need for tweaking.

There are a couple of lines you could add to your FSX.cfg to help FSX deliver the goods around heavy areas like KSEA. They aren't used these days because they have an immediate affect on the Draw of autogen, in this case Buildings & Tree quantity per cell. This will become clearer where you have FTXGlobal lights throughout the PNW area, because they are actually special autogen trees being displayed as light orbs, thereby eliminating the FPS hungry light poles models.

In your FSX.cfg under the [TERRAIN] section add the lines below, then it should be possible to trick your Autogen slider to remain @"VeryDense" while limiting the trees and buildings displayed per "CELL"

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=3000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800

Info about this Tweak can be found here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/17144-terrain-max-autogen-tweaks/

Hope this helps a little.

Hello all,

I have been playing with my settings for the past day. John, I did try to change my resolution. Did seem to help a bit (or maybe I just thought so). Either way the setting I have now seems to be doing better. Rob you were spot on with the Seattle cranes. I moved the slider down by one and it did seem to help quite a bit. As near as I can tell I only lost a few gates at KSEA.

The reason I have set at 12 frames per second is simple. For some reason when I go higher I get a very choppy flight. I can do more frames at places like KHQM. Once I fly out of 2S1 (basically closer to KSEA) I am unable to hold higher frames. So in an attempt to get a more balanced approach I have scaled my frames back so I can have a consistent flight.

Only recently have I really discovered all these tweeks out there (ya I have been living under a rock). Once I realized I could get more out of FSX (and I mean alot more than I was doing), Suddenly I realized that FTX was a possibility. So now that I have and love it, I am trying to squeeze every frame out of this old machine (she been solid for years).

Jeff I will give them tweeks a try and let you know. Once again I appreciate your time.

Brian

Hi Mal,

Generally it goes at the top first entry of your FSX.cfg    C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX  

It has its own header [JOBSCHEDULER] as shown below.

The better numerical value for a Quad Core CPU would be  AffinityMask=15  utilising all 4 Cores c0 c1 c2 c3, and not  AffinityMask=14 which utilises c1 c2 c3, leaving c0 for other tasks. Much better to have all cores processing FSX tasks.

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=15

Hope that's what you needed Mal.

Hi Mal,

Just to be clear, there is only one entry and one header, this item is not found in a default FSX.cfg, it is a performance Tweak and therefore must be added by a user. As shown in green below

It is always best to at least try to understand why you might need a Tweak and what the tweak does for you in your system. In many cases it will improve your sim, but randomly placing tweaks in your sim may eventually end in tears. There is much to be found around the forums on this subject.

[JOBSCHEDULER]  - this is the header
AffinityMask=15  -  this is the entry under that header

Hello all,

I did add the affinity mask=15 and terrain settings. Im getting a few more frames per second. One thing that I was doing as well. When I was testing out my FPS I was flying around in my Alabeo R66. For me this AC has a strong hit on frames. Always been that way. So I figure if I can get a smooth flight with the R66, everything else should be fine. So far so good.

Now for confession time. I loved the PNW so much I wanted the ajoining scenerys. So I got CRM and NRM as well. Then I also got KORS. This stuff is great, really brings me back to my GA days. Whats the confession part you ask? Hehe, my wife doesnt know about CRM or NRM. Ile tell her I bought them in due time of course, but I got a little crazy there >:D .

Hello Brian,

Great you are having success, you can save some extra frames by setting the slider for "leisure boats" and "ships" to "0".  

Also turning down your "Water Effects" slider setting from (Max 2.x) to (Mid 2.x), your current water setting is way to high, there are absolutely no benefits having water effects at the highest setting, moving this to Mid2x will likely return a great deal more FPS and still give you water reflections.

The Robinson R66 being a more detailed model than a Default Bell JetRanger - have you tried switching between the two craft and determine what FPS are gained or lost in Seattle.

Now about your confession,  these are only heard between 7:30am - 10:00am Monday Wednesday and Friday. Just kidding, LOL  :D  ???  :P

but I think we can let it slide this time, It wouldn't be the first secret purchase by an Orbx convert.

Now go buy some more! 

Believe me, I want to buy some more. Im impressed, ORBX is pretty effective about extracting my $$$ from me! Im hoping to convince the wife to let me stop by the pilot shop to get a seattle sectional today. I think I will have a good chance of pulling that off.

Also I do have all my traffic sliders set to 0. To much load vs reward imho. Once I get my system updated (whenever that will be), I will move those up. I also did reduce my water sliders by one notch. Water still looks great.

Brian

Archived