OOM Problems

golfguyw5

I am an ORBX addict.  I have most of the North American sceneries and airports and a good system to run FSX.

While my simulator experience is made so much more enjoyable with these fantastic sceneries, I am constantly

running out of memory on so many of my flights.  I know this is a common problem and results from the 32 bit

limits of FSX.  Even though my FSX settings result in good frame rates, I still end many flights on approach with that 

horrible OOM window. I am aware that the 4GB limit can be used up while flying over detailed scenery, so should I

open FTX Central each time I fly and uncheck detail boxes of the individual airports I fly over, or as some have suggested

land occasionally and reload my flight hoping the memory will "dump"?  Is there a better way I am not aware of to

address this problem?  I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

I found I had similar problems with my FSX - and never found a really satisfactory solution. Going to DX10 + Steve's Fixer helped in 99% of the cases, as it frees up the CPU a lot (many GFX calls being passed to the GPU).

If you can resist the temptation of going into external views along the way, that helps a bit too.

Adam.

One of the main reasons FSX is plagued by this problem is not so much a lack of memory, but the way it handles the memory.

FSX has an odd tendency to "not forget" scenery that you flew over, even if you can't see it any more and left it behind a long way back. This inefficient method means that the longer you fly, the more likely you are to reach an out of memory state as you simply keep filling it up and never get any back.

One way to combat this would be to not have so many scenery packs active at any one time... But even then it's a bit subjective and seems to behave very differently on different systems.

I will however second the use of DX10 mode, via Steve's DX10 fixer... it allows FSX to offload more to the graphics card memory, so not using all your system memory... Of course, when it uses system memory you still have the same issue in the long run, but it will take a lot longer to present an error.

Stevs DX10 Fixer may work BUT currently it is off the market and has been since the beginning of 2015. Word is it will be back but then again he said it would be gone for about a week and that was 4 weeks ago, FSX:SE may have something to do with it.

Archived