How does ORBX decide on airfields?

Mac_Maddog88

How do you all decide on airfields?

Are you just in the area and have the opportunity to get pictures which you further develop into scenery? Or do you set off and get pictures of that airport with the goal in mind of creating a scenery?

All the airports I have from ORBX are unique in some way, they all have their own personality and feel to them. Even airports made by a certain developer such as KRDD, KJAC, etc - You can tell they were made by Jarred Marshall, they just each have that unique feel to them. Or take Vernoia or Seiku, you can tell they were made by Misha because of the grass and vegetation!

So, how do you guys select airports to make?

Airports are chosen mostly by developers based on these main reasons:

- Ability to get clear ground level photos

- Ability to obtain licensed or free aerial imagery of at least 30cm/pixel but preferably 15-7cm for inside the airport fence

- If the airport has enough character to attract purchases from customers

- If I approve their choice (I hardly ever say no in all honesty)

The most important thing for me is that the developer *enjoys* themselves during the creation process, because this love of their craft will be reflected in the end product. You can always spot an addon that has been built by someone who sees it as a boring day job.

Airports are chosen mostly by developers based on these main reasons:

- Ability to get clear ground level photos

- Ability to obtain licensed or free aerial imagery of at least 30cm/pixel but preferably 15-7cm for inside the airport fence

- If the airport has enough character to attract purchases from customers

- If I approve their choice (I hardly ever say no in all honesty)

The most important thing for me is that the developer *enjoys* themselves during the creation process, because this love of their craft will be reflected in the end product. You can always spot an addon that has been built by someone who sees it as a boring day job.

Those are truly great reasons JV. You have had a great vision with this simming scenery business. I don't know squat about scenery design, but I DO know very much about effective leadership, and you have demonstrated several good qualities with an approval model such as that. I guess that's a good reason why so many of us drool and fall over ourselves with each new airport release.

Thread like that are fun and interesting. We don't know enough about you guys.

Are regions decided the same way?

Do some developer work full time or most work in their free time?

You JV, is it a full time thing??? ::)

I understand the passion side but it's hard to make a living out of passion.

Ben

Archived