FTX Day Night Menu

ScottecLEMD

Guys

Sorry if I am being ignorant but what exactly is the purpose of the FTX Day and FTX Night Configurator?  After installing Ireland (I think ) I ended up with these two shortcuts on my desktop.  If I need to use it then for which product?

Thanks

Ken

I'll save you the trouble... 

The purpose of the "Day/Night" switchers is.... <drum roll..........>...

Absolutely nothing ;) (Well, almost, and certainly not for FTX Ireland)

Way back before we introduced the new "Global" style lighting (as part of FTX Global), all FTX products included similar 3D night lighting, but using an older, less efficient system. These old lights caused a frame rate drop when active, even during the daytime (the lights would "turn off", but were still there), so the switcher was developed that allowed you to deactivate the lighting when it wasn't needed ("Day" mode) or turn it on when it was ("Night" Mode).

Since then, all FTX regions have now been updated to include the new style lighting system so the day/night switchers are essentially defunct.

That being said, there are still some older FTX Airports that are being converted, so I wouldn't delete them just yet... Though the plan is to get rid of the switchers once all products have been upgraded.

Hi Rob

It was after the installation of the EU IRL scenery that these two icons appeared on my desktop.  And the associated PDF manual for the FTX EU IRL User Guide page 18 gives the explanation.

However, are you saying that these two options can be ignored?  I have FTX Global, Vector, EU Landclass and all the UK Regions plus Norway, if I don´t require these two programmes then I can just delete the desktop icons?

Thanks

Ken

I'll save you the trouble... 

The purpose of the "Day/Night" switchers is.... <drum roll..........>...

Absolutely nothing ;) (Well, almost, and certainly not for FTX Ireland)

Way back before we introduced the new "Global" style lighting (as part of FTX Global), all FTX products included similar 3D night lighting, but using an older, less efficient system. These old lights caused a frame rate drop when active, even during the daytime (the lights would "turn off", but were still there), so the switcher was developed that allowed you to deactivate the lighting when it wasn't needed ("Day" mode) or turn it on when it was ("Night" Mode).

Since then, all FTX regions have now been updated to include the new style lighting system so the day/night switchers are essentially defunct.

That being said, there are still some older FTX Airports that are being converted, so I wouldn't delete them just yet... Though the plan is to get rid of the switchers once all products have been upgraded.

Hi Rob

It was after the installation of the EU IRL scenery that these two icons appeared on my desktop.  And the associated PDF manual for the FTX EU IRL User Guide page 18 gives the explanation.

However, are you saying that these two options can be ignored?  I have FTX Global, Vector, EU Landclass and all the UK Regions plus Norway, if I don´t require these two programmes then I can just delete the desktop icons?

Thanks

Ken

Correct... Provided you are currently running the latest version of Ireland (version 1.1). The update from version 1.0 to 1.1 is when the new style lighting was added to FTX IRL.

You can check your version in FTX Central (Tools, Reports, FTX Products Installed)... Patches are available if you need them here:

https://www.fullterrain.com/support#terrain

Archived