Misbehaving windsock at ENAL

billhuntsman

Yesterday, while doing a flight to/from ENAL in Norway, I noticed that the windsock is not indicating the wind correctly.  As you can see in the photo, I am facing 164 degrees and there is a 12 knot wind from 160 degrees.  I should be facing into the wind, but the windsock does not show this.  The wind was definitely there, as I noticed during takeoff and landing.  I have previously posted about a windsock at the latest Walter Sutton's release as well.  I know this is a big job, but I hope progress can be made regarding the windsocks.  They are a big part of VFR flying.

Bill

tp9bN.jpg

As I check out various Norway airports, most of them I check have incorrect windsocks, often 180 degrees off, sometimes 90 or something else.  I am suspecting that this is a fairly widespread issue.  I am talking about FSX here.

The latest ones I checked are wrong:  ENSO (the two windsocks do not agree.  One might be OK, but I won't know unless I check it out with a different wind direction.  It could be randomly OK.  One thing I do know is that the 2 windsocks at the end of rwy 15 and rwy 33 point 90 degrees different from each other during the same wind)

Also, ENHD windsocks are not correct.

The Norway scenery is gorgeous, but it is quite frustrating to have so many windsocks be only decorative rather than useful.  At least when the airport has ATIS, you can know the wind direction before landing. But on airports without that feature, especially if there is no other AI aircraft landing and giving a radio report, it's tough to pick a runway for landing.

Bill

As I check out various Norway airports, most of them I check have incorrect windsocks, often 180 degrees off, sometimes 90 or something else.  I am suspecting that this is a fairly widespread issue.  I am talking about FSX here.

This is correct also for P3D. Most of the airports have incorrect windsocks, so every single airport needs to be checked. I have excluded them for my Airports of Norway package, and use the default windsock instead.

This is correct also for P3D. Most of the airports have incorrect windsocks, so every single airport needs to be checked. I have excluded them for my Airports of Norway package, and use the default windsock instead.

Are there any that have working windsocks in P3D2? AFAIK, the current Orbx windsocks (apart from the ObjectFlow-controlled windsocks at payware airports) simply don't work in P3D2 (they are always fully extended and point in a fixed direction).

Tym

Hi guys,

thanks for the additional information, Bill. Looks like a systematic checking of the NOR airports is in order. I'm surprised because our airport developers are well aware of the specific rules for placing those windsocks. Anyway, we'll look into it.

The P3Dv2 issue with windsocks is different as currently only the default models work correctly (which look look very bad and don't allow for regional/national differences). We're still hoping that L-M is going to provide us with better code for conditional model behavior in the near future.

Cheers, Holger

Thank you for the reply, Holger. Do you think it's realistic to expect a fix from LM anytime soon? I've seen no references to the issue in any recent announcements or discussions on the LM site/forums...

Tym

Archived