What's all this "steam edition stuff?

Louis

At first I didn't pay any attention to this term but I see more and more of it .I just seen Flght one has a new Steam Edition of the King Air then I see Steam Edition of FSX called FSX SE . Frankly I don't have a clue what there talking about .

Personally I am sick of these companies that sell games. I recently purchased SIMS 4 and had to create an Origin account just to play it even though it wasn't a download. I purchased the boxed version.

I understand where you come from... Origin isn't exactly great compared to Steam. You should give Steam a try, I was against downloading games but recieved a game on it as a gift from my cousin and haven't been able to go back to boxed ever since. Tons of amazing games on there at great prices, I got both Skyrim and Fallout NV with all DLC for $5.00 each. Next time Steam has one of their sales, you should give them a look.

FSX SE is basically Dovetail Games re-releasing FSX with built-in fixes such as HIGHMEMFIX=1, etc and some other additions and fixes. Great price, you basically just get FSX Gold with fixes in it. I'm sticking with boxed FSX until PMDG products work or I have to do a re-install again. 

Im with you outrage. Im having trouble with Gold Edition at the moment. I have already purchased FSX SE through Steam but I haven't downloaded yet as Origin turned me off. Can you tell me after you download FSX from Steam, will you have an icon you can click on from your desktop? Like you do with a boxed version? 

Im with you outrage. Im having trouble with Gold Edition at the moment. I have already purchased FSX SE through Steam but I haven't downloaded yet as Origin turned me off. Can you tell me after you download FSX from Steam, will you have an icon you can click on from your desktop? Like you do with a boxed version? 

I do not have FSX on Steam, so there are a few things to know,

At this moment you won't be able to use FSX SE without an internet connection. Silly, but Dovetail says they'll get around to adding an offline mode in the future.

Also, PMDG stuff doesn't work in FSX SE yet, but PMDG announced on Facebook that they'll have a solution out by the 15th/16th. 

There's a different way with Steam of creating desktop shortcuts, in Steam, when you're in your library, right click on the game you want to create an icon for and click "Create Desktop Shortcut". You should get a desktop shortcut that way. 

Let me know if that works, it'll be interesting to hear how SE is as far as performance and OOMs.

I think you'll like Steam much more than Origin. Steam is far more stable and mature.

RE desktop shortcut, it gives you an option when you install:

6AQxi.png

Nothing wrong with FSX Steam.  Especially for the ridiculously low sale price of $5.   FSX SE will bring new people into the flightsim genre and thus more potential customers for all the FSX add-on developers out there.   Steam is an excellent service too.  Win-win all around.

C.

My only experience with Steam was when it came out with Microsoft Train Simulator a couple of years ago.  I gave it a try and then dumped it.

I preferred the original MSTS because I had more flexibility and there was a boatload more rolling stock and routes than were available for download at Trainsim.com.   I had more control over what I wanted in a train simulator than I had with the Steam version and at a much lower cost.

At the time I compared MSTS Steam to a trainset out of the box as compared to building a model railroad.

Steam for FSX might be different.  But will you be able to add airports from Aerosoft or scenery from Orbx to it or will you be limited to what they provide?

I realize I might be comparing apples to oranges here so I may talking through my hat here.

Noel

there was a message about a patch a couple of hours ago on the steam community forum, the last item on the list of fixes is increased compatibility with existing addons

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160

FSX: Steam Edition Update
We are pleased to announce a new update coming soon for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

This update resolves several issues reported to us by the FSX: Steam Edition community and will be automatically applied to your software via the Steam platform once it’s released.

Below is the full list of changes and fixes made in this update:

• Networking: Resolved - potential crash bug when decoding Steam host tag data. 
• Error Reporting: Resolved - error message if the software failed to load the language.dll so that it shows the name of the actual dll it is trying to load. 
• Learning Centre: Resolved - when selecting a mission from the Learning Centre, you would be told that the mission script failed to load and would be disabled. 
• Learning Centre: Changed - the Learning Centre still referenced a GameSpy logo - now replaced with Steam logo. 
• Graphics: Improved vertex and index buffer handling defaults and a few other things to give up to 10% framerate improvement (as long as vsync is not enabled/forced). 
• Graphics: Change - Enable trilinear mipmap filtering by default. 
• Graphics: Resolved - If the Special Effects setting was set to HIGH, some special effects like external lights, landing/water effects would not work.
• Graphics: Changed default value for max per-frame texture uploads to decrease time for high quality terrain textures to appear. 
• Settings: Resolved - HIGHMEMFIX was enabled by default but could very rarely be disabled at load time.
• For new installs, we now provide default versions of dll.xml and exe.xml files to improve compatibility with existing addons.

We are continuing to monitor your feedback on FSX: Steam Edition and would like to thank the community for taking the time to report these and other issues. We know that we have not fixed all of the reported issues, but we continue to work to improve the product in the coming weeks.

- The Community Team

Hi Louis,

Steam is a games platform (program) allowing you to download games and playing those (starts games) from it. It also keeps up to date all games (automatic patch system) and allowing users to talk live with each other + some more goodies....

Do a search on YouTube with "what is Steam" and you will find a video explaining and showing it.

Steam is a superb delivery system that I've been using since Half Life 2 came out, and its how I buy most of my PC games. I'm sure it will bring some new users to flight simulation, and hopefully they will find their way here, and how good it can be. I'm certain FSX SE will not see the advances LM have achieved with P3D, but Dovetail have made some minor tweaks and fixes over the boxed version, though this has thrown-up some compatibility issues. I grabbed the Steam edition as a simple way to keep FSX on my PC alongside my main sim... far easier than digging the boxes out of the loft each time.

And when the game is up and running 64bit, they will charge you for all the Orbx and other products that You ovn (Licensed) (if you like to use them on steam), i guess,

just like DCS, you have to buy them once more. ::) I cult be wrong, of course.

Henrik

This must be driving the developers nuts, FSX, FSX-SE, P3D v1.4, 2.0. 2.4,  X-Plane 9, 10......I'm building a new system and trying to figure out which way to go, they all have advantages and disadvanges. But I think I'll stick with the boxed FSX because all my addons work with it. Once P3D goes 64 bit then I'll consider moving to P3D. The downside of all this is am reluctant to buy more addons now because it's not clear which direction this is headed....ugh!

Cheers

Martin

Its bound to cause some headaches, but I'm sure its better than the alternative of a static platform, with a dwindling user base. The difference between P3D and P3D2.4 is dramatic, and most products are finding their way onto it... and some devs are actively working with them. The changes with FSX Steam are far-far smaller, and look like being quickly addressed by developers. From what I've read, there is not enough major changes to warrant swapping from a boxed version to Steam at this point, other than ease of use if you already run Steam... it may have a better future working with new OS's as and when they come.

This must be driving the developers nuts, FSX, FSX-SE, P3D v1.4, 2.0. 2.4,  X-Plane 9, 10.....

...... The downside of all this is am reluctant to buy more addons now because it's not clear which direction this is headed....ugh!

Cheers

Martin

I understand you, but keep in mind, your FSX boxe edition will always running fine with all your existing addons already installed...so..no problem..just keep it.

Archived