Huge performance hit - YSCB

AdAstra

I have the latest release of FTX AU, FTX YSCB and FTX Libraries.

As described, I get a huge performance hit when within 15 nautical miles of YSCB.

Performance is sometimes affected about 5-10 after starting a flight in YSCB, but isn't replicable. I am always able to replicate the performance drop when passing within 15 NM of YSCB VOR, on approach, no matter what my FSX/Graphics card/fsx.cfg are set at.

It only happens (as far as I am able to replicate) on the approach phase of flight, in the NGX. YSCB Control Panel setting are the lowest they can be. No GSE, no light poles no cars etc, no static airliners etc.

I've tried without ASN running. I always have all traffic (airliner, ga, cars, boats etc) set to 0%.

REX4 textures only in use.

Active Sky Next.

I also own FTX YMML and YBBN. Both work better than YSCB.

Anyone able to help? Let me know if screen shots of settings etc are required.

I'm sure someone will be along to better answer your question, but with the new Triple installer I'm getting better performance than before the update to P3Dv2.   What sim are you referring to and what are your system specs?  That will help anyone to further check into it for you.

Apologies Rob.

FSX is the sim.

I have 4790K and GTX 780, 8GB Ram. CPU water cooled (CPU not overclocked). Average CPU temp with FSX, 45-55 degrees C. Avg GPU temp and load is less than 50 C/50%.

Just did some 1 hour 10 minutes of flying for testing with the NGX into, and out of YSCB. Here is my flying pattern and conditions:

- FSX "Clear Weather" theme selected. No weather engine running.

- 0325 am Canberra local departure so i could see performance in darkness, twilight and daylight.

Start up at gate 15. Departures from YSCB RWY12. Arrivals via the RNV P 35 (I freakin love RNP!!!). Did 4 or 5 (can't remember) take offs+landings from RWY12 to RWY35, (11 minutes per start of takeoff and end of landing roll).

Throughout that testing, smoothness was always encountered until I got to exactly between 14-15 NM of CB, then the ground <textures> ahead of the aircraft would go black for 3-5 seconds then return to normal, with a drop in performance all the way to the end of the landing roll, after which, performance returns to normal.

YSCB Control Panel settings:

FSX Ground Poly (entire field)

Car level - off

Mesh and fences - less detail

Industrial estate density - lite

FTX 3D lights tweaked - "REX1" with size 4 selected.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS DE-SELECTED.

FTX Aero settings:

Detail bump map - cracked

Runway 18 texture - 2048x2048

Taxiway markings - yellow and black

REX:

- low level and high/mid level clouds changed -from- 2048(high resolution), -to- 512 (low resolution)

- kept runways and taxiways at lowest selectable - 1024 (medium resolution).

- texture compression algorithm kept at DXT 5 for low-level and high/mid level, and wave kept at DXT 1.

FSX:

-Autogen changed -from- Normal, -to- none.

Kept all other FSX settings the same:

GRAPHICS tab - target frame rate - unlimited (restricted to 30 by nvidia inspector), global textures - very high, prev dx10 - off, lens flare - off, light bloom - off, advanced animation - on. 1360x768 res (same as desktop), filtering - anisotropic, anti aliasing - off.

AIRCRAFT tab - all shadows off, aircraft landing lights illuminate ground - on.

Weather - cloud draw dist - 90 miles, detailed clouds - on, cloud coverage density - maximum. All other weather settings are unchecked/off/none. It shouldn't matter, as all testing is done without weather engine (asn) with FSX "clear skies" weather theme selected.

- SCENERY tab - LOD - medium, mesh complexity - 100, mesh res - 1m, texture res - 7cm, water eff - none, land detailed textures - ticked, scenery complexity - extremely dense, spec efx detail - high.

- TRAFFIC tab - 0% all traffic.

Departed RWY 12 using FSX Cessna 172SP Skyhawk, maintained RWY hdg to 17 NM, returned to RWY 35 and landed. 0331am local time departure.

!!! Result - the results are similar. Departure was acceptably smooth (a stutter here and there - no complaints from me here - just an observation). Turned back at 7000ft, 17nm out from cb vor, passing 14.2 NM, textures went black and FSX became, notchy; it mostly mainted the locked 30 fps, but was noticeably less smooth (but still acceptable) and occasionally dipped to <14 fps when it stuttered.

NOTE:

- I'm not an fps watcher. Like most seasoned simmers, I chase smoothness.

- addon scenery installed - only FTX au/ml/cb/bn. Only Aussie flying for me.

- addon aircraft installed - NGX only.

- other addons and programs running (but not during all this testing) - Rex4, asn, virtual cdu, registered fsuipc, shadowplay.

Something's interfering with your scenery.  I regularly fly this area and no stutters etc for me.  Suggest you disable all scenery areas relating to Australia and re-introduce them one by one.  Could be something in OZx (doubtful) could be a traffic conflict, many many could be files.  I once had a similar problem in outback Qld, frame rates dipped to 2-3 in a sparse scenery area.  None of the rest of the team could duplicate.  Ended up reinstalling FSX from the ground up, which isn't a bad option every couple of years anyway.  Good luck.

Clean FSX install, highmemfix only in .cfg, PMDG nvidia recommended settings, FTX au and cb only installed (absolutely nothing else).

Still lagged at 14 NM to cb in default Cessna, clear skies

I've re-installed everything else (FTX ml, bn, asn, NGX, rex4). Ml and cb are worse, now. I have controller problems now. My controller doesn't work... Oh what shambles!

how much better is P3D than FSX?

I had a similar problem to yourself with P3D but with me it was flying to and from Southampton EGHI in UK. I have a real kickass system with both CPU and GPU overclocked and it was just EGHI that would present the dreaded black runway symptom of VAS expiration. I tried running much lower settings of autogen and shadows and just about everything. I even tried with disabling everything in the airport control panel. All these measures had a postive effect on fps but I always got the gong of doom telling me that VAS was exhausted before the sim crashed.

One of the settings that I hadn't really played with was LOD - level of detail - and now I have it at 'medium' with the result that I can fly in and out of and around Southampton to my heart's content, all the control panel options are enabled, I have no significant drop in fps and my VAS maintains itself at above 500000. I would have thought that such a setting might have ruined my enjoyment of the sim but not at all. At low level everything that I can see is loaded anyway and once up I am aware but not overly concerned by the reduction in detail at far distance. What matters is the fantastic detail of the near and medium distance detail. Even at 'medium' LOD the distance of loading is miles and miles.

Try this and see how you go on. Worked for me and now I am going to be more happy with purchasing the larger airports like Palm Springs and the big AU ones.

Possibly the keyword in your original post is the NGX.  I don't have it, but when I have tried out a couple of the complex heavies over the years the performance has fluctuated. The Q400 is one where every now and then the whole sim slows down for a second or two.

I have had issues with aircraft that have their own database set for the navigation instruments that have led to stuttering etc as the conflicts between the FSX database and the onboard GPS or FMS etc hog the CPU.

Fly the leg that is causing you trouble in a default FSX aircraft and I suspect the performance hit won't surface.  If so talking to the NGX developers might be a better bet.

By the way Adastra is the name of a property located on the Barton Highway a little south of Murrumbateman, which might well be about 15 nm north of Canberra!

Huh! What a coincidence.

Yeah, I flew the approach in the default Cessna (absolute torture, so slow). Still took a performance hit. Of course,  the NGX wouldn't have helped things. But I don't think it's responsible for the hit.

Ive purchased P3D to see if that'll solve the problem. I'm not one to hold my breath though.

P3D didn't solve the problem. Returned to FSX cause P3D doesn't support most addons yet.

De-selected FTX YSCB scenery in FSX scenery library, FSX runs a treat! Pity I can't have YSCB, but the performance hit is too great. I even tried it with overclock to 4.7GHz.

On the other hand (with YSCB de-selected), FTX AU, ML v2 and BN look phenomenal! FSX, FTX, ASN, NGX, ShadowPlay and REX settings are mid to high, video runs very smooth (also maintains locked 30 FPS, all stages of flight in NGX... bonus!). No overclock.

No I've been using poly the entire time. I'll give it a try... Thanks!

Been bashing the LevelD 767 around (ml to bn) with FTX scenery... Absolutely sensational! High settings, almost all features selected in FTX control panels for both airports, very very smooth... Cpu Temps are a little concerning (max 85C, but averages around 55C-65C) however, I will have to find a balance between settings and acceptable cpu temps.

Archived