Norway Winter season ground textures showing night lights during day

Orbx Flyer

I have this problem of towns and cities showing yellow 'night' light street textures in Norway, even if it is 12 noon.

If I switch to any other season, this does not happen. It is only with the Winter season.

Here are two pics to represent what is happening. Any help would be appreciated. This is most irritating.  If I switch from any other season, back to Winter, this does not show itself.  A bug?

--------------------------------------------------

I do not know where you live, but in the Northern hemisphere it is quite normal that depending on the time of the year it hardly gets light, the further north you come the lesser the light available, this is as that part of our earth is then turned away from the sun, the shortest day is around Dec 21st, or the longest night

it can come down to your settings in the fsX.cfg that you use there at your end, texture loading time seems to be the thing that is affecting things at your end there

I see the same thing

Tiles with yellow glow on them in the middle of the day. It doesn't look good whatever the reason.

I'm not sure what fsx.cfg settings have got to do with it though?

I don't think the .cfg file has anything to do with this.  The Norway package does......and if you cycle from Winter to Spring...and then night to day, the towns look right.  My thinking?...it's a bug.  I hope it gets fixed, and I'm glad that you spoke up...so I know that it is not just on my installation.  I agree..it does not look good at all.  It looks like a mis-call of autogen.

I do not know where you live, but in the Northern hemisphere it is quite normal that depending on the time of the year it hardly gets light, the further north you come the lesser the light available, this is as that part of our earth is then turned away from the sun, the shortest day is around Dec 21st, or the longest night

it can come down to your settings in the fsX.cfg that you use there at your end, texture loading time seems to be the thing that is affecting things at your end there

Thanks for your reply, Wolter.  I though, believe that there is a mis-call for the night-light city autogen, that should not be there  at 12:00 noon!  I hope this can be corrected in any future update cycle.

Thanks

Ok...I guess that this might not be a 'bug' as I had thought it might for Norway...but just how FSX:MS parses day/night renditions for this area or the world, within Winter.  I'll get use to it..

I still can't get Vector 1.20 to give me frozen water surfaces, even though I get it everywhere else within FSX:MS, in Winter, but just not in Norway.  I guess the Norwegians like their open water...to get to those Millionaire brand sardines in olive oil, I so love...

So...who knows, why frozen water is having a fit in Norway.  Like I said, no where else is this showing up...lol.

Go figure....

PNW 

Hi there,

indeed, the timing of when the night lighting textures are blended into the day textures is regulated by FSX itself so there's nothing we can do about it. It's worthwhile to remember though that the southern tip of Norway is at about the same latitude as Juneau, Alaska!

If you're using FTX Norway along with Vector then FTX Norway overwrites all Vector components. For frozen water please use the FTX Norway control panel as described in the Norway manual.

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

indeed, the timing of when the night lighting textures are blended into the day textures is regulated by FSX itself so there's nothing we can do about it. It's worthwhile to remember though that the southern tip of Norway is at about the same latitude as Juneau, Alaska!

If you're using FTX Norway along with Vector then FTX Norway overwrites all Vector components. For frozen water please use the FTX Norway control panel as described in the Norway manual.

Cheers, Holger

THANK YOU Holger.....thank you!    I had a 'senior moment', lol.    I just reloaded Vector 1.20, and then came here to gladly see your post.  I had forgotten that you need to use the control panel.  I will do that...and then take a flight.   Again, thanks...and a fabulous scenery it is.   That's why I had frozen (ice) everywhere else in Global and N.A.   Makes sense now.    Also, thanks for basically telling me that there is nothing wrong with my Norway auto-gen call ups....    I'm getting use to it...and as you say, it is, what it is....   :)

Post edit:  Holger, just tried the FSX control panel, and it says that it cannot switch water from frozen to open, from open to frozen. A window opens up to say 'Could not switch Option' ..that being the water. The windmills turns on and off just fine. The Noway control panel for P3D works for all options.  I had just re-installed Vector 1.20....    Any suggestions?  Should I reinstall Norway for FSX again?

Post Edit 2:  Holger...I just re-installed Norway for FSX, and after having done so...still can not change the water condition...and no button shows highlighted and blue.  The control panel will not take a water (open or frozen) direction....

PNW

Hi there,

not sure what's going on with the control panel. If the windmills option works then it can't be an access permissions issue. All that the code does is switch between two file versions by adding an .OFF to the unused version. Thus, in its default state you should have, in \ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_summer.bgl

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl.OFF

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4910Na_summer.bgl

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4910Na_winter.bgl.OFF

etc.

Can you check the folder content whether that's the case?

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

not sure what's going on with the control panel. If the windmills option works then it can't be an access permissions issue. All that the code does is switch between two file versions by adding an .OFF to the unused version. Thus, in its default state you should have, in \ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_summer.bgl

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl.OFF

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4910Na_summer.bgl

cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4910Na_winter.bgl.OFF

etc.

Can you check the folder content whether that's the case?

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger...and again, thank you very much for your help.   You solved the case, Detective!   I had two copies of all those files.  I guess when I had re-installed Norway, the re-installation did not overwrite those summer and winter files, but wrote a second copy.  Interesting that it was only these files that did not get overwritten with the re-install. What I ended up doing, was to just totally delete the entire FTX_EU folder within the ORBX folder in FTX, and then re-installed Norway. That attempt, wrote a fresh entire FTX_EU folder, which when finished, had only the four files, as you show.  I then tried the control panel again, and it came up with the open water bullet as blue..and intact. I then tried switching out to frozen..and it did it just fine. No more 'can't do this' window.  So...I think that I have learned something here.  If you want to re-install any ORBX product...it is best to totally delete that product folder, before any re-install attempt. That way...there will be no overwriting or passing over of files...but a full and complete 'virgin' install ensues. 

Thanks again, Holger....once more, I have frozen water, when I want it....

Please show this thread as SOLVED, or whatever at your pleasure.

Regards,

PNW

Hi there,

indeed, any product that comes with a control panel should be deinstalled prior to re-installing. The other option is to run the control panel and make sure all options are in the default position; but if that doesn't work in the first place then the former approach is safer.

Cheers, Holger

Archived