FSX - Steam Edition 80% off again

pvs193

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until the dust has settled too. No need to rush, but I'm really looking forward to the smooth stutter free performance people have been reporting, I hope!

And a happy new year to you too!

actually....fsx steam still has same stutters and all...only that  does a scenery cache better due to which there are less chances of OOm..it still has the same fps like FSX legacy..and may be even lesser (by about 2-3)...but it may be the solution for OOMs..it still is 32 bit..but comes with multiplayer capability..

actually....fsx steam still has same stutters and all...only that  does a scenery cache better due to which there are less chances of OOm..it still has the same fps like FSX legacy..and may be even lesser (by about 2-3)...but it may be the solution for OOMs..it still is 32 bit..but comes with multiplayer capability..

Actually, I've seen quite the opposite...

With higher settings; almost everything maxed out, an 6.5 Lod Radius, I'm seeing (acording to the shift-Z on screen report) in excess of 200fps in the stock Friday Harbour scenery, 60fps with PNW installed in Friday Harbour and in Seattle with PNW installed, around 30fps... And that's with no tweaking at all and a massive screen resolution of 3840x2160, downsampled to 1920x1080 using the Nvidia DSR settings.

Before this, I would see around 15 to 18 fps in Seattle with lower settings...

Of course, individual results may vary, but I am VERY happy with the improvements so far... Early days yet though...

Actually, I've seen quite the opposite...

With higher settings; almost everything maxed out, an 6.5 Lod Radius, I'm seeing (acording to the shift-Z on screen report) in excess of 200fps in the stock Friday Harbour scenery, 60fps with PNW installed in Friday Harbour and in Seattle with PNW installed, around 30fps... And that's with no tweaking at all and a massive screen resolution of 3840x2160, downsampled to 1920x1080 using the Nvidia DSR settings.

Before this, I would see around 15 to 18 fps in Seattle with lower settings...

Of course, individual results may vary, but I am VERY happy with the improvements so far... Early days yet though...

Yes, early days, different people are reporting different results. I suspect that different system configurations may have a lot to do with it. Call me naive, but I'm optimistic that things will run better. I have quite a powerful new computer which is still pretty clean and I've bought a dedicated 500GB just for flight simming. Haven't re-installed FSX on it yet though. I was about to, but then FSX-SE made an unexpected appearance. So right now I'm sitting back, waiting and watching for all the results to come in before I decide how to proceed.

One thing seems certain - if FSX is no longer available on DVD, then the Steam version is going to be the only version available in the future. Additionally, the Steam version is the only version that will (may) be continued to be tweaked and improved, whereas the disk version has been dead for many years now. Therefore, all those who choose to stick with legacy FSX will probably end up having to use the Steam version eventually.

Again, being an optimist, I'd like to think that Dovetail Games will make a few more tweaks to FSX in the future and that it will improve even more. I'm not expecting miracles, that would require a complete rewrite of the code probably, but the future for FSX looks a lot brighter right now than it did a couple of weeks ago.

I'm still contemplating whether I'll have to take the inevitable plunge into Prepar3D one day, but right now I can't afford it anyway, so it's a moot point. Like it or not, I'm stuck with FSX for now, I'd just like to improve the performance a bit. A higher frame rate would be nice (although I get great frame rates away from cities) but it's the stuttering the bothers me the most, especially for making videos.

Unfortunately, Vancouver is kind of my second home (relatives living out there), but with PNW and Vancouver+ the frame rates regularly plummet to 15 or less and the stuttering is awful. If only I could get a reasonable framerate in that area I'd be happy. I have my scenery sliders all maxed out (which is essential, the scenery is the most important for me), but I'm quite happy to turn traffic down to zero. However, I do like realistic weather...

Didn't I read something somewhere once about running weather addons etc using different CPU cores? I have a few of those to spare, so any advice would be helpful.

i have noted many people saying...FSDT vancouver + PNW gives lot of stutters and OOMs...but if u r getting 15 fps even after turning AI traffic to 0.,...tht is sad....also ...i run default airport + PNW and i am getting about 25-30fps smooth...with ai traffci at 35% (my traffic x which at even 35% gives many aircrafts!)

cheers

Well I bought it at 50% off, should have waited....

I didn't see any change one way or the other.....maybe they are charging what it is worth. 

I only use FSX for vintage stuff to keep it separate from my P3Dv2 installation....maybe I should re think that....just my view, YMMV

Henry

i have noted many people saying...FSDT vancouver + PNW gives lot of stutters and OOMs...but if u r getting 15 fps even after turning AI traffic to 0.,...tht is sad....also ...i run default airport + PNW and i am getting about 25-30fps smooth...with ai traffci at 35% (my traffic x which at even 35% gives many aircrafts!)

Actually I wasn't referring to the airport but to the city itself, using the Vancouver+ by FSAddon-A

http://secure.simmarket.com/fsaddon-vancouver-for-fsx-%28v3%29.phtml

But here's an interesting update... yesterday I made some tweaks to my FSX.CFG file (which I thought I'd already made, but apparently I hadn't, or somehow the file reverted to the original or something, I'm not sure, went for a flight around Mt Baker and got incredible frame rates, well over 200.

So then I tried Vancouver again. This time my FPS was in the 60s, but with frequent stutters and frames dropping to as little as 8fps. Then I wondered if my anti-virus was affecting it, so I turned it off and tried again. No difference.

But today, I added some new tweaks and other changes, and all of a sudden, Vancouver is silky smooth! What? Getting a constant 30fps (I limited it to that) with no stutters (with my anti-virus on again). I can't say for sure what made the difference, might have been a combination of things, may have been one key thing (possibly setting TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to 120), I don't know. I'd have to test each change one at a time to be sure.

Whatever the reason, if I can get good frame rates with Vancouver+ and PNW, I can get good frames rates everywhere.

Yeah, I'm aware of the risks of over-tweaking, which is why I haven't done much so far. Clearly something I changed has made a huge difference though. I'll need to test things one at a time. Looks like I'll be able to put my traffic on again, and hopefully some serious weather.

Do you have default traffic set to high, or are you using a traffic addon? I've read that the default traffic eats a lot of frames.

Archived